• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Emiri Katō, Kaori Fukuhara Perform Inou Battle Within Everyday Life Anime's Ending Theme

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Did I mention the MC has a lame ability? One of the girls has the ability of elements, isn't that basically include fire as well? Honestly the MC has some lame as Code Breaker/Flame of Recca knock off, and all the other girls have borderline story breaking power.

I feel like this will try to be a serious version of the manga that has the kid with spoon bending abilities, while all the other girls have impressive abilities like teleporting or lighting.

Then there is Rising Rydeen when the MC once again has an inferior ability to his harem, some kind of goo power.

I can probably think of 3 more show about school life comedy with esper like powers where the MC is kind lame.

I think its one thing to have a non fighting protagonist like Rito in To Love Ru, but if you are going to make the MC a "fighter" I think its stupid to make him seemingly the weaker than his harem, I mean who is this supposed to appeal to, a masochist?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Did I mention the MC has a lame ability? One of the girls has the ability of elements, isn't that basically include fire as well? Honestly the MC has some lame as Code Breaker/Flame of Recca knock off, and all the other girls have borderline story breaking power.

I feel like this will try to be a serious version of the manga that has the kid with spoon bending abilities, while all the other girls have impressive abilities like teleporting or lighting.

Then there is Rising Rydeen when the MC once again has an inferior ability to his harem, some kind of goo power.

I can probably think of 3 more show about school life comedy with esper like powers where the MC is kind lame.

I think its one thing to have a non fighting protagonist like Rito in To Love Ru, but if you are going to make the MC a "fighter" I think its stupid to make him seemingly the weaker than his harem, I mean who is this supposed to appeal to, a masochist?

I hope this guy isn't as much a wimp as Rito (I ship him with only Lala) or Mirai Nikki's Yukiteru or, possibly worst of all, Shinji Ikari.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Well the art looks amazing at least. Hopefully this won't just be an advertisement for the Light Novels like so many other shows these days.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Well the art looks amazing at least. Hopefully this won't just be an advertisement for the Light Novels like so many other shows these days.

When a LN gets an anime adaptation, I think a reason for doing an adap. is so that more people buy the LN.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

When a LN gets an anime adaptation, I think a reason for doing an adap. is so that more people buy the LN.

I know that is generally the case, but sometimes they actually do a good job of it and don't blatantly end on a cliff-hanger or cut out a lot of content making the show incoherent unless you pick up the LN or manga. Shows like Death Note and Bakuman are good examples of how to do it. I will actually buy the manga for shows like that since the creators actually respect anime as an art-form rather than an expensive advertisement.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
^The only time you can be sure of an ending is if the source material is coming to its end.

Bakuman's final season was made about 6 months after the manga ended. Same for the Death Note anime adaption. Sadly, not a lot of properties get that treatment. The norm is that it is to boost an ongoing series' sales, be it manga or LN.

Hell, recently people were shocked that Working!! would be getting a 3rd season. Earlier in the year, the manga was said to be ending. And, with it, a lot of people gave up hope of a 3rd season because not a lot of manga/LNs get anime once they've finished up.

CrownKlown wrote:

You could say that a lot of harem MC's should appeal to masochists, what with all the beatings they get from members of their harem.

Many harem series have a MC that has people question why any girl would be interested in them. In the action orientated harem series I've seen, the MC is either new to what they're doing (eg IS), they're usually getting beaten and/or saved by their harem...and something big has to happen for them to reveal their true power (eg DxD).

There aren't many fully capable fighter MCs going around. A recent one I can think of is the MC from Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero. But, he was also a massive perv...which lead to a mixed reaction. We can't get a fully capable, in both fighting and as a person, MC in a harem because they're not "relatable".
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I think its one thing to have a non fighting protagonist like Rito in To Love Ru, but if you are going to make the MC a "fighter"

I wouldn't know because I wasn't around when you first brought it up. For me I just started paying attention to this anime yesterday with this article after reading the story summery. But anyway fire has always been one of the coolest yet one of the weakest powers one can have, and from what I see it whether this would be good for July would depend on him (how he uses it) and the situation he's in. It would also depend on how powerful his "dark to dark" power would be. Would be pathetic like Wheelers fire ability from Captain Planet or awesome like Natsu's from Fairy Tale (or it could in between those two which I am going to go his power is between pathetic and awesome).

However I don't feel quite good that he has to rely on a hot water bottle to get his power working. That could be a handicap that could prove to be quite a problem (like what if he has no access to a hot water bottle or looses one), and yes compare to the other main characters that does make him a possible helpless member of the group. Of course even then he can still prove himself to be of some use, but that's going to depend on how resourceful July is. So while July does have the weakest powers out of all the main characters I am going to give him a chance, and wait and see just how much potential he has as well as his performance before coming to my full conclusion.

P.S The one with the strongest ability I think would be Chifuyu with Hatoko coming in second. Controlling space and matter seems like abig thing as well as controlling the natural world. Tomoyo and Sayumi have the most useful abilities under practical reasons be it stopping time to take care of whatever before a certain event happens or fixing something.

CrownKlown wrote:
I think its stupid to make him seemingly the weaker than his harem, I mean who is this supposed to appeal to, a masochist?

Ali07 wrote:

You could say that a lot of harem MC's should appeal to masochists, what with all the beatings they get from members of their harem.

Many harem series have a MC that has people question why any girl would be interested in them. In the action orientated harem series I've seen, the MC is either new to what they're doing (eg IS), they're usually getting beaten and/or saved by their harem...and something big has to happen for them to reveal their true power (eg DxD).

I never like harem anime that resort to having the central male character get beat up for no good reason. It seems like an attempt to be funny, but it's not. For it to be funny the central character had to have done something to deserve it. Shows/movies like Tom & Jerry, The Loony Toons, and the Home Alone movies get this right. It's not even a hard thing to do. Just write the central male character as perverted, unlikable jerk and have him do something bad enough for him to get physically discipline. There are only a very few anime I've seen that get this right (if not half right at least) and some harem anime which their is a supporting male character who should have been the central character in place of a usually bland, innocent male character as they fit the criteria I mention above.

But as Ali mentions perhaps those anime are better for masochist who enjoy watching male characters get tormented abuse. However I get the feeling that those who make those stories attended for them to appeal to that crowd. They made those stories to appeal to the guys who enjoy looking at cute/beautiful girls. I just tend to think they just don't know how comedy fully works, but then I don't really know what these creators were thinking when they made these shows.

With Inou Battle Within Everyday Life however I don't get the impression it's going to be that kind of show. From reading the summery it seems like it's going to be fun story of members of a literature club who just want action and adventure in their lives, and that's something I can relate to personally as sometimes I dream of my life being an adventure.

relyat08 wrote:

I know that is generally the case, but sometimes they actually do a good job of it and don't blatantly end on a cliff-hanger or cut out a lot of content making the show incoherent unless you pick up the LN or manga. Shows like Death Note and Bakuman are good examples of how to do it. I will actually buy the manga for shows like that since the creators actually respect anime as an art-form rather than an expensive advertisement.

Ali07 wrote:
^The only time you can be sure of an ending is if the source material is coming to its end.

Bakuman's final season was made about 6 months after the manga ended. Same for the Death Note anime adaption. Sadly, not a lot of properties get that treatment. The norm is that it is to boost an ongoing series' sales, be it manga or LN.

Hell, recently people were shocked that Working!! would be getting a 3rd season. Earlier in the year, the manga was said to be ending. And, with it, a lot of people gave up hope of a 3rd season because not a lot of manga/LNs get anime once they've finished up.

So that's the reason why some anime adaptations end on a high note. Though I think there are other reasons as well. This is one of my pet peeves with how anime shows are made. In this case the problem is for us who usually do not have access to the original stories (especially if those original stories were light novels). So people outside of Japan (or who can't read Japanese) are usually left hanging while everyone else can continue the story. A sole reason for an adaptation should not be to advertise the source material (that should be secondary if not an after thought as a result of the adaptations popularity).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
However I don't feel quite good that he has to rely on a hot water bottle to get his power working. That could be a handicap that could prove to be quite a problem (like what if he has no access to a hot water bottle or looses one), and yes compare to the other main characters that does make him a possible helpless member of the group.

Laughing All that makes me think of is Spider-Man and his webshooters. The need to refill will only be brought up when the writer wants it to play a part in adding suspense.

Aquasakura wrote:
I never like harem anime that resort to having the central male character get beat up for no good reason. It seems like an attempt to be funny, but it's not. For it to be funny the central character had to have done something to deserve it.

True, it is usually played off as comedy. And, it is usually tied to the MC doing something perverted...like accidentally falling on top of a girl and groping her breast(s) in the process or walking in on a female who is bathing/walking out of a bath.

Oh, and you also made mention of the MC being a pervert openly. Well, I've not seen many harem animes with a MC like that...but the one that sticks in my mind is Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero's MC. He was a capable fighter and a pervert. With that came some very mixed reactions from fans. Either that, or they go down the School Days route...

The MC, in most cases, is kind of like a blank and indecisive canvas. Many say that the reason they can be kind of bland is to allow the viewer to "self insert" and relate to the plight of the MC. I do believe that we need to be able to relate to characters, in some way, but I find the prototype for the harem MC to be a bit too much.

Aquasakura wrote:
So that's the reason why some anime adaptations end on a high note. Though I think there are other reasons as well. This is one of my pet peeves with how anime shows are made. In this case the problem is for us who usually do not have access to the original stories (especially if those original stories were light novels). So people outside of Japan (or who can't read Japanese) are usually left hanging while everyone else can continue the story. A sole reason for an adaptation should not be to advertise the source material (that should be secondary if not an after thought as a result of the adaptations popularity).

Don't get me wrong, I've watched some anime that are based on an ongoing manga/LN that finish off great. Personal favourites of mine that have done so recently are Kokoro Connect and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (English name escapes me for this 2nd series).

Thankfully, in Kawaisou's case, the manga is getting a western release through Crunchyroll (I hope it see print eventually). No one has touched the Kokoro Connect LNs, but the manga adaption is being released by Seven Seas. But, they are both anime that I view as having good endings...and I don't really need to read anything else to enjoy the way the anime ended.

As for why people watch harems, I usually do so for the romance and adventure/slice-of-life angle, along with hoping that "this harem will be the one where he chooses a girl in"...which usually is a hope that gets left unfilled. Laughing
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Laughing All that makes me think of is Spider-Man and his webshooters. The need to refill will only be brought up when the writer wants it to play a part in adding suspense.

I can see that happening.

Ali07 wrote:

True, it is usually played off as comedy. And, it is usually tied to the MC doing something perverted...like accidentally falling on top of a girl and groping her breast(s) in the process or walking in on a female who is bathing/walking out of a bath.

Oh, and you also made mention of the MC being a pervert openly. Well, I've not seen many harem animes with a MC like that...but the one that sticks in my mind is Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero's MC. He was a capable fighter and a pervert. With that came some very mixed reactions from fans. Either that, or they go down the School Days route...

More like unintentionally doing something perverted (either that or one of the female characters seeming the main character interacting with another female character and make a bias assumption or the main character causing and accident such as spilling ramen for instance). Also I don’t think I have heard of this Rogue Hero anime before, but I can what you mean by the main character just from looking at him on the front cover of the 1rst volume of the original light novel. For me an anime that comes to mind that has a perverted main character is Needless by Madhouse; originally made by Kami Imai, but looking at the genre it’s not listed as a harem. Well from a review I seen it looks similar to one. Concerning the School Days route I never saw the anime so I wouldn’t know, but I heard not so good things about the ending.

Ali07 wrote:

The MC, in most cases, is kind of like a blank and indecisive canvas. Many say that the reason they can be kind of bland is to allow the viewer to "self insert" and relate to the plight of the MC. I do believe that we need to be able to relate to characters, in some way, but I find the prototype for the harem MC to be a bit too much.

I find this kind of method to work best in video games where the central character has very little or no dialogue at all (an example would by the main Pokémon games). Besides, who would really want to self insert themselves to such bland and weak characters? I can understand relating to characters and even self inserting oneself to one, but don’t see anyone who really wants to be the looser and constantly get physically abuse.

Ali07 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I've watched some anime that are based on an ongoing manga/LN that finish off great. Personal favourites of mine that have done so recently are Kokoro Connect and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (English name escapes me for this 2nd series).

Thankfully, in Kawaisou's case, the manga is getting a western release through Crunchyroll (I hope it see print eventually). No one has touched the Kokoro Connect LNs, but the manga adaption is being released by Seven Seas. But, they are both anime that I view as having good endings...and I don't really need to read anything else to enjoy the way the anime ended.

So have I. A few examples being Fullmental Alchemist and Death Note for me. Also the English translation for Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is “We Are All From Dormitory Kawai”. Generally in English the story is known as “The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior”. I looked the information up from Wikipedia. I also took the time to read story summaries of both series. Of the two I like plot for Hearts Connect more. The other one doesn’t seem like something I would be too into. The light novels of Hearts Connect according to Wikipedia has already ended.

Ali07 wrote:

As for why people watch harems, I usually do so for the romance and adventure/slice-of-life angle, along with hoping that "this harem will be the one where he chooses a girl in"...which usually is a hope that gets left unfilled. Laughing

As for reasons of watching harem personally I don’t usually directly choose to watch those shows, but when I do I just expect to either for one to just have a good story or at least be a fun experience in general. As for finding the one which the main character get together with a girl I read there’s a reason why it never happens in harem. It has something to do with leaving it to the imagination of the audience watching it (usually in this case the male audience). A episode of this web show on this website called thatguywiththeglasses had a topic such as this with people giving feedback relating to such topics. I’ll give you the link to it when I find it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I find this kind of method to work best in video games where the central character has very little or no dialogue at all (an example would by the main Pokémon games). Besides, who would really want to self insert themselves to such bland and weak characters? I can understand relating to characters and even self inserting oneself to one, but don’t see anyone who really wants to be the looser and constantly get physically abuse.
As for finding the one which the main character get together with a girl I read there’s a reason why it never happens in harem. It has something to do with leaving it to the imagination of the audience watching it (usually in this case the male audience).

To address what I mentioned about self inserting in harems, it also has to do with the point you made about most harem MCs not choosing a girl.

To leave it in the mind of the viewer, they try to get the viewer invested by allowing them to be able to self insert. Not saying everything does this, but it is what draws some to harem series.

I do enjoy it more when the MC chooses a girl in a harem. It's why I like the "Zero's Familiar" series, along with "Love, Elections and Chocolate". To a lesser extent, I also enjoyed "A Bridge to the Starry Skies" and "Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers".

My seeming "need" for a girl to be chosen will always be there. Must be the way I'm wired. And, it is also a big reason why I hope that we'll see The World God Only Knows manga licensed in the west, as unlikely as that may be.

Aquasakura wrote:
So have I. A few examples being Fullmental Alchemist and Death Note for me. Also the English translation for Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is “We Are All From Dormitory Kawai”. Generally in English the story is known as “The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior”. I looked the information up from Wikipedia. I also took the time to read story summaries of both series. Of the two I like plot for Hearts Connect more. The other one doesn’t seem like something I would be too into. The light novels of Hearts Connect according to Wikipedia has already ended.

Yeah, Kokoro Connect does deal with some sci-fi aspects, while in a school setting. Kawaisou is on the slice-of-life/comedy side of things. The main characters in Kawaisou are in school, but the main focus of the series is the interaction between those living in the hostel.

And, I hadn't realised that the KC LNs had finished up. While the novels weren't finished when the anime was made, I have seen people mention that the anime adapted 4 novels. So, I've no idea what sort of stuff happened in the remaining 7 volumes, but I'm happy with not knowing. Laughing

On Death Note, that series got an anime after the manga already finished. So, it'd be a strange case if that didn't have a tied up ending. I've not seen the anime or read the manga, but I have looked at topics discussing the series (when I was deciding if I'd check it out) and it seems like there wasn't much changed in the anime adaption.

Aquasakura wrote:
As for reasons of watching harem personally I don’t usually directly choose to watch those shows, but when I do I just expect to either for one to just have a good story or at least be a fun experience in general.

The problem that I have, with many harem series, is that the endings can fall flat for me. That's because, most of the harem series I've seen don't have endings that feel tied up to me. It doesn't mean that one must choose a girl, but that does play a role in how I view and ending.

That is not to say that I don't enjoy harems where a girl isn't chosen. I really like Hayate the Combat Butler, along with really enjoying the first seasons of Infinite Stratos and Date A Live (both 2nd seasons weren't that good IMO); and Unbreakable Machine-Doll...but it does mean that I probably wouldn't buy the series, as re-watch value would be close non-existent for me.

I can enjoy a series for the "ride" it takes me through, but knowing that I don't really like the "destination" means I wouldn't want to watch it again...as the ending would always be there, nagging me.

It's also kind of why I hope a recent harem series, Nisekoi, eventually gets a 2nd season. But, for now, I'm really enjoying the manga. It is the first harem manga series that I've set out to collect.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

To address what I mentioned about self inserting in harems, it also has to do with the point you made about most harem MCs not choosing a girl.

To leave it in the mind of the viewer, they try to get the viewer invested by allowing them to be able to self insert. Not saying everything does this, but it is what draws some to harem series.

I see. When I read this earlier today I was thinking if they really wanted to picture themselves with their favorite female character they could just write a fan fiction starring them and a particular female character, but most people I don’t think would usually be interested in reading someone’s else’s made up love/sexual life with a fictional character. Plus it seems in general those stories are usually not written well and having characters act out of character. I guess it could be a private thing though and doesn’t have to be published online. There is also daydreaming.

However I think that actually experiencing a relationship first hand is more rewarding then imagining one. Granted I never had a girlfriend so far in my life so I haven’t had the experience of being in a relationship, but from what I’ve learn about relationships over the years from others I could imagine how wonderful it would be to be with someone who care for you (as well having someone to care for). I have a tendency to daydream about being in a relationship too (a tendency of my personality from what I’ve read), but I actually would like to experience what’s it’s like to be in a relationship.

Besides there’s a very sad story beneath this. There are some men over there who feel that being in an actual relationship is hard so instead they would much whether settle for a make believe girlfriend you can say. There’s even a market for it sadly. It’s understand from an economical sociological point of view as apparently it is link to Japanese work life. Men in general work long hours and don’t have much time to be with their families, and some don’t want to experience that life (which I can understand). I still trying to find the video that discusses this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Ali07 wrote:

On Death Note, that series got an anime after the manga already finished. So, it'd be a strange case if that didn't have a tied up ending. I've not seen the anime or read the manga, but I have looked at topics discussing the series (when I was deciding if I'd check it out) and it seems like there wasn't much changed in the anime adaption.

I understand. I think I got my example mix up. As for the ending of the only change I know of is the ending. It’s the same as in the original manga, but slightly different with the interaction between Light and Ryuk. I would leave it at that because Death Note is one of those stories you do not want to be spoil on. It will ruin the fun and suspense.

Ali07 wrote:

I can enjoy a series for the "ride" it takes me through, but knowing that I don't really like the "destination" means I wouldn't want to watch it again...as the ending would always be there, nagging me.

Yeah an incomplete ending can have an affect on whether to re watch a show or not. Or even whether to own it for that matter. Today I just learn that one of the anime I was looking forward to owning and watching has an incomplete ending. The anime in particular has been review and posted on the front page of ANN. It’s base on a light novel series and what makes me even a bit more upset was from reading one of the comment of the review the studio that made this particular anime only adapted the first 5 out of 6 of the original light novels. It felt like they couldn’t just bother adapting the last volume. I felt disappointed at first and wasn’t sure if I should still buy the DVD (after thinking about however I think will still buy it for it is a pretty anime).

Ali07 wrote:

It's also kind of why I hope a recent harem series, Nisekoi, eventually gets a 2nd season. But, for now, I'm really enjoying the manga. It is the first harem manga series that I've set out to collect.

Good for you! Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:

I see. When I read this earlier today I was thinking if they really wanted to picture themselves with their favorite female character they could just write a fan fiction starring them and a particular female character, but most people I don’t think would usually be interested in reading someone’s else’s made up love/sexual life with a fictional character. Plus it seems in general those stories are usually not written well and having characters act out of character. I guess it could be a private thing though and doesn’t have to be published online. There is also daydreaming.

Heh, been to sites like Fanfiction.net?
(And rec.arts.anime.creative is one of the earliest anime hangouts.)
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Besides there’s a very sad story beneath this. There are some men over there who feel that being in an actual relationship is hard so instead they would much whether settle for a make believe girlfriend you can say.

I think that there are a couple of things that do contribute. Like you already mentioned, the hours of work you hear when it comes to Japanese workplaces does seem like a lot. I've heard about bosses being happy when they see their employees sleeping, because that means that they'll be working more hours of the day after having a nap.

So, time is a constraint. But, it does take some courage to be heading out and trying to score a date. I'd hope that the work in maintaining a relationship wouldn't discourage people from seeking out a partner, but I also hope that those that haven't been in a relationship before don't expect it to be easy.

And, sometimes, you just have to know when something isn't going to work out.

Aquasakura wrote:
Yeah an incomplete ending can have an affect on whether to re watch a show or not. Or even whether to own it for that matter. Today I just learn that one of the anime I was looking forward to owning and watching has an incomplete ending. The anime in particular has been review and posted on the front page of ANN. It’s base on a light novel series and what makes me even a bit more upset was from reading one of the comment of the review the studio that made this particular anime only adapted the first 5 out of 6 of the original light novels. It felt like they couldn’t just bother adapting the last volume. I felt disappointed at first and wasn’t sure if I should still buy the DVD (after thinking about however I think will still buy it for it is a pretty anime).

Looking at ANN, I'm going to say that you are talking about Red Data Girl. Great to look at, but the narrative gets sloppy through parts of the series. One that you'd really have to be switched on for when watching, and you may have to go out and look at some information/discussion of the series to fully grasp parts that you may not understand right off the bat.

I'd say that it is a show worth watching.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I think that there are a couple of things that do contribute. Like you already mentioned, the hours of work you hear when it comes to Japanese workplaces does seem like a lot. I've heard about bosses being happy when they see their employees sleeping, because that means that they'll be working more hours of the day after having a nap.

That...sounds cruel in a way depending on how you look at it, or it could just be a way for bosses to punish their employees for sleeping on the job.

Ali07 wrote:

So, time is a constraint. But, it does take some courage to be heading out and trying to score a date. I'd hope that the work in maintaining a relationship wouldn't discourage people from seeking out a partner, but I also hope that those that haven't been in a relationship before don't expect it to be easy.

Yeah, it shouldn't. In fact I think that is one of the beauties of being in a relationship. The fact that couples work together to get through hard times, as well as having arguments (Not the abusive, I hate you/you're stupid kinds but just disagreements).

By the way I finally found the video that talks about it. More like videos. One is called "Anime Romance Is Like A Zombie Apocalypse" which talks about the nature of romance/harem anime and how it similar to the nature of zombie stories in terms of how they approach story telling. http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/specials/41977-soc-anime-romance-is-like-a-zombie-apocalypse The other has the follow up to the comment that I wanted to share. It starts at 12:50 so you either skip to it, or listen to the whole thing. In this one he talks about how swearing is becoming like fan service. http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/specials/42039-soc-swearing-is-fanservice-and-needs-to-frking-slow-down You're welcome to watch it if you want, but its seems that you familiar with how some people go through harem.

Ali07 wrote:

Looking at ANN, I'm going to say that you are talking about Red Data Girl. Great to look at, but the narrative gets sloppy through parts of the series. One that you'd really have to be switched on for when watching, and you may have to go out and look at some information/discussion of the series to fully grasp parts that you may not understand right off the bat.

I'd say that it is a show worth watching.

Yes! That anime! I watch the first episode on cable and instantly love it and wanted more. As to whether I would get confuse by the story I would have to see for myself when I watch it. I'm not going to look into discussion of this show in the hopes that one day I would enjoy the story entirely, so I don't want to risk getting spoil. Speaking of which I fully decided that I would still get the anime. Besides as you know this isn't the first time I've watch anime adaptations with incomplete endings. In fact when I think about it I have seen anime that I have like or enjoy watching despite not having complete endings. For those examples would be the The World of Narue by Studio Live; originally by Tomohiro Marukawa, and The Sacred Blacksmith manglobe; originally by Isao Miura .

enurtsol wrote:

Yes! In fact I am a member of fanfiction.net (although I am not active at the moment in terms of writing and publishing my own stories). However, I've never heard of this "rec.arts.anime.creative" circle. Anyway I am aware there are people who would write themselves interacting with fictional characters, but for personally I don't encounter stories like these often. Usually it's when I read blogs reviewing/making fun of bad fanfiction I read such stories. I'm currently reading one review of this Hetalia fan fic that stars a girl, who is clearly the arthur, and is basically her romantic fantasy with the Hetalia characters. Seems to be well known as other people have either reviewed it or wrote parodies of the story. It's called "Kidnapped by Sexy Men" by Natasha a.k.a ButterflyXMoonlight. You're welcome to read the review of chapter 1 if you like: http://thehetaliahumanoc.tumblr.com/post/31909338520/kidnapped-by-sexy-men-chapter-1-review
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

That...sounds cruel in a way depending on how you look at it, or it could just be a way for bosses to punish their employees for sleeping on the job.

Aquasakura wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Yeah, it shouldn't. In fact I think that is one of the beauties of being in a relationship. The fact that couples work together to get through hard times, as well as having arguments (Not the abusive, I hate you/you're stupid kinds but just disagreements).

Man calls girlfriend a pig for not looking like his anime crush

• So we imagine the woman, who posted her story on website Kazoku Channel, was already feeling a bit of pressure when she found out her boyfriend was smitten with the orange-tressed anime pirate. She couldn’t have felt any better when her boyfriend told her that, in his mind, Nami’s body was what he thought the standard for a woman’s figure should be. “I told him there aren’t any real women with those proportions!” she recalls.

The boyfriend refused to give up on his fantasy, though, and one day showed his girlfriend a collection of pictures he’d found of foreign women who were indeed built like his anime crush. “He said I was a pig, that I didn’t try hard enough, and that I had the body of a lazy person. I may not look like a model, but at 160 centimeters tall and 53 kilograms (5 feet 3 inches and 117 pounds), I’m not fat, either.”

Needless to say, this didn’t sit well with the woman. “It’s a dirty way to do it, but I decided that he might come around if I made him feel the same way.” Adopting similar tactics, she armed herself with issues of three manga series: Fist of the North Star, Jungle King Tar-chan, and Otokojuku.

“Every time he’d look at Nami and say, ‘This is how a girl’s gotta be,’ I’d look at [Fist of the North Star antagonist] Raoh and say the same thing right back.”

The girlfriend hoped that through voicing such excessively high physical expectations, her boyfriend would come to understand how she herself didn’t like being put in that position. Fighting fire with fire tends to just give you a bigger fire, though, and one day he snapped. “Shut up!” she remembers him yelling. “Men and women are different, and you’re the one we’re talking about now!”

While laughter seems like a pretty appropriate response to this hissy fit, the situation’s comedic potential only lasted until the boyfriend decided to punctuate his remarks by hitting her. Thankfully, he lacked the brute strength of the musclebound manga characters the woman had made a point of overtly ogling and she wasn’t seriously injured, though she now found herself wondering just why she should continue dating her boyfriend.

Like that.

Aquasakura wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yes! In fact I am a member of fanfiction.net (although I am not active at the moment in terms of writing and publishing my own stories). However, I've never heard of this "rec.arts.anime.creative" circle.

http://fanlore.org/wiki/Rec.arts.anime.creative

I've known a few who'd later on become published authors of their own stories (with nods to anime/manga refs of course).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2