• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kantai Girls Mobile Game Looks a Lot Like a Certain Other Game

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not that surprised, I've seen plenty of mobile games that blatantly steal assets from other games/anime, and its even worse in ads (especially on the Facebook app) where they use screenshots from other games and such.

This kinda just makes me disappointed at the lack of an English version of KanColle more than anything, though.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
As we say in Latin America: "Cero y van..." (X and counting).

This are the consequences for DMM and Kadokawa for not releasing the Kancolle game outside Japan. But hey "let's preserve the game for the most racist and xenophobic fanbase in Japan".

I feel sorry for Kancolle fans outside Japan, but DMM and Kadokawa are the fault of this. And before someone says, no, Kancolle will not exit Japan for the time being. One user from the Nutaku Games put some of the reasons for that:

Quote:
List of (my) reasons Kantai Collection won't get a foot outside Japan:

1. The Axis warships (Japan/Italy/Germany). This is a very serious issue within war veterans and very nationalistic people in United States, specially due to the form that are presented. And not, the inclusion of Iowa won't help.

2. The anime series BOMBED. It was a failure outside Japan as there're very negative comments from people who watched it. For Kadokawa, it's an advice to refrain the export of Kancolle outside Japan.

3. The controversy that will cause in countries like China, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand. In order to avoid any problems, Kadokawa refused the broadcasting of Kancolle anime in those countries.

4. It's an OOOOOOOLD game (by Western standards). It could be a different story if the game was one year old, but the game is almost 3 years. Seriously? Games like LoveLive! and Granblue Fantasy had better luck and Kancolle fanbase in Japan is starting to shrink due to games like Touken Ranbu and Granblue. The chances that, for example, Touken Ranbu get a feet outside Japan are greater than Kancolle. Slim, but greater.

5. AFAIK, a part of the Kancolle fanbase in Japan is a bunch of xenophobic and nationalistic people, and they won't want foreigners to touch their "pure and sweet game" (that despite people outside Japan is playing the game, albeit with difficulties). Kadokawa and DMM won't lose money with that part of the fanbase.

And well, that's all. It's a pity that this game won't be released overseas, but there're thing that Japanese companies won't deal with. I don't know what do you think about that.

Thanks.

And don't forget the amount of permissions from seiyuu companies, illustrators and musicians (that translates in more money that will be invested in something that won't guarantee success outside Japan).
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
I feel sorry for Kancolle fans outside Japan, but DMM and Kadokawa are the fault of this. And before someone says, no, Kancolle will not exit Japan for the time being. One user from the Nutaku Games put some of the reasons for that:

Quote:

1. The Axis warships (Japan/Italy/Germany). This is a very serious issue within war veterans and very nationalistic people in United States, specially due to the form that are presented. And not, the inclusion of Iowa won't help.

2. The anime series BOMBED. It was a failure outside Japan as there're very negative comments from people who watched it. For Kadokawa, it's an advice to refrain the export of Kancolle outside Japan.

Does this also mean that the anime show of KanColle is destined to stay Japan-exclusive?
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Does this also mean that the anime show of KanColle is destined to stay Japan-exclusive?

Kadokawa would have decided that, but NO! Actually, anime adaptations are a good form to promote a franchise outside Japan, and Kadokawa went that way. That happened with LoveLive!, for example.

However, I saw many critical (quasi-negative) comments of the series in some forums (even TVtropes mentioned that) and that wasn't a good light for Kadokawa.

And don't forget there're other reasons, exaggerated or not. I suggest to take that opinion with a grain of salt.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
don't take that list too seriously, it's just a random user's theories/guesses.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
don't take that list too seriously, it's just a random user's theories/guesses.

Exactly. As I said: take those opinions with a grain of salt. There're some other reasons Kadokawa and DMM have but we'll never known. Its their game and since the game "doesn't exists" outside Japan... just let it go.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, I saw many critical (quasi-negative) comments of the series in some forums (even TVtropes mentioned that) and that wasn't a good light for Kadokawa.

The issue is that the anime was just "ok" when it honestly needed to set the international fandom hearts ablaze.

A mediocre set up that you can catch in a dozen different shows throughout the year is not a strong step.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
There's also http://kancolle.gogames.me/

Quote:

I highly doubt that would factor into anything since Panzer Waltz is doing just fine over here.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
sirdano1 wrote:
There's also http://kancolle.gogames.me/

Quote:

I highly doubt that would factor into anything since Panzer Waltz is doing just fine over here.

1. Don't forget Warship Girls R, although they are doing their best to move away from accusations of piracy that MoeFantasy had at the time.

2. Panzer Waltz is made by a Hong Kong company. They don't care so much about problems, unlike Japan.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:

Quote:

3. The controversy that will cause in countries like China, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand. In order to avoid any problems, Kadokawa refused the broadcasting of Kancolle anime in those countries.

4. It's an OOOOOOOLD game (by Western standards). It could be a different story if the game was one year old, but the game is almost 3 years. Seriously? Games like LoveLive! and Granblue Fantasy had better luck and Kancolle fanbase in Japan is starting to shrink due to games like Touken Ranbu and Granblue. The chances that, for example, Touken Ranbu get a feet outside Japan are greater than Kancolle. Slim, but greater.

5. AFAIK, a part of the Kancolle fanbase in Japan is a bunch of xenophobic and nationalistic people, and they won't want foreigners to touch their "pure and sweet game" (that despite people outside Japan is playing the game, albeit with difficulties). Kadokawa and DMM won't lose money with that part of the fanbase.

And well, that's all. It's a pity that this game won't be released overseas, but there're thing that Japanese companies won't deal with. I don't know what do you think about that.

Thanks.

And don't forget the amount of permissions from seiyuu companies, illustrators and musicians (that translates in more money that will be invested in something that won't guarantee success outside Japan).

1. Most of those people are far too old to know of this game and no ships have swastikas, so that keeps the far left at bay for the most part.

2. While it has it's fanbase in the US, a lot of anime fans didn't like the anime. It's in the category of anime where you have to consume the media to enjoy it (anime like Fantasista Doll and Girlfriend (Kari)), if you are new to it you won't like it.

3. That doesn't prevent a Western release though.

4. This is probably the biggest issue although games like Touhou hit the US despite being a little dated. Kancolle Kai may have a small chance of coming here.

5. They can release it anyway, let those who spread tyranny whine and complain.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
There's also the original versions of Pokémon, which came out in Japan in 1995 but took until 1998 to be localized, and that franchise exploded like nothing else.

I also have to say that I am not the least bit surprised a development team in Thailand would make something like this. Due to the intense social pressure to not fail, the culture encourages people to imitate rather than innovate. It's an extreme example, but its yo-yo team, when in international competitions, will copy a previous champion's performance one-to-one. This is not a gimmick of theirs, but their strategy: They never win, but they never actually flop either.
qashairy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
So, where's the China ripoff of Kancolle game one?
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some Naruto blatant ripoffs, usually named "Something Ninja", so I'm not sure bringing KanColle to the English speaking audience can prevent plagiarism.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
lol guys it's not exactly hard to play Kancolle. Tons of foreigners have accounts.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
feuerwerke wrote:
lol guys it's not exactly hard to play Kancolle. Tons of foreigners have accounts.

it's boring as f*ck tho
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2