• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vertical Licenses Arakawa Under the Bridge, Imperfect Shojo, Voices of a Distant Star Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepyDave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Actually I would be more Interested in the Shoujo Fujuubun Novel, than the manga, but I'm gonna buy it anyways Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I like the Voices of a Distant Star manga--it expounds upon the anime and makes it easier to understand the story.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
SleepyDave wrote:
Actually I would be more Interested in the Shoujo Fujuubun Novel, than the manga, but I'm gonna buy it anyways Razz

Yeah, same. I prefer novels typically. But I'll get this regardless. Will likely be good.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
YES!! I love Arakawa under the Bridge! I'm super excited to add it to my manga collection!
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I like the Voices of a Distant Star manga--it expounds upon the anime and makes it easier to understand the story.

I was about to say the same thing, while adding I remember liking the additional side-characters and actually prefer the manga's ending to the Anime's.

Also, since this was originally Tokyopop, I thought Vertical didn't do license-rescues? Still, it's nice they made an exception with this one, for the reasons already stated above.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
Definitely going to be getting Arakawa and Voices, big fan of the anime for both. Since Voices has been OOP for awhile, I've been looking at copies...and most are too much for me. Will jump on Vertical's release.

Imperfect Shojo interests me, as I'm a fan of both Hattori and Nisio, but the synopsis sounds a little out of my wheelhouse. Will wait on reviews for that one.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to Imperfect Shojo having loved Hattori's Sankarea. It sounds very interesting.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
Eh, Voices of a Distant Star is one of those examples where less is more, IMO. Adding side characters, fluff, and the ending the manga provided merely diminish the power of the original story. Plus, it's been a looong time since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure the manga author had absolutely no understanding of time dilation (which, as many people misinterpret, wasn't actually a factor in the original anime, at least not during the main part of the story), and the implications of the manga ending are pretty unintentionally horrific if you really stop to think about it.

I'm glad it's back in print, though, so people can read it and decide for themselves.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
According to photos of the panel Voices of a Distant Star is slated for February 2018.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1