• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shirobako Anime's Website Updated With 'Under Construction' Sign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Ok then. All right. Interesting development. If this eventually leads to an announcement of a second season, I'll be so excited that I'll be squealing and jumping up and down on the spot like a little school girl. I'm hoping that it is just that.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the basic problem with a Shirobako sequel is that the show accomplished what it set out to do and the characters reached the end of their natural arcs. As huge a fanboy as I am, in some ways I'd rather no sequel than a lame one.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Yeah, the basic problem with a Shirobako sequel is that the show accomplished what it set out to do and the characters reached the end of their natural arcs. As huge a fanboy as I am, in some ways I'd rather no sequel than a lame one.

All of this. The overall fan behavior around sequels in general often bothers me. People don't seem to even understand what makes these shows great. When I see people begging for sequels to things like Death Note I just want to facepalm so hard... I ONLY want a sequel to something if there is more story to be told, or more important character development to be had. Shirobako did a perfect job of telling the story they wanted to tell. As a big fan of slice of life, I would love more time with those characters, but unless they feel confident they can create a similarly strong series, I don't want more of it. (And yeah, Shirobako is one of my all time favorites, I'm not coming at this as someone who dislikes it at all)
gedata

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

All of this. The overall fan behavior around sequels in general often bothers me. People don't seem to even understand what makes these shows great. When I see people begging for sequels to things like Death Note I just want to facepalm so hard... I ONLY want a sequel to something if there is more story to be told, or more important character development to be had. Shirobako did a perfect job of telling the story they wanted to tell. As a big fan of slice of life, I would love more time with those characters, but unless they feel confident they can create a similarly strong series, I don't want more of it. (And yeah, Shirobako is one of my all time favorites, I'm not coming at this as someone who dislikes it at all)

Shirobako stands fine on its own, but it isn't sequel proof in the same way as something like Death Note is. Chill out and try and feel a bit optimistic here bro,
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, there is more story to tell. I believe they originally planned to go through Aoi becoming a director herself but just did the two cours due to availability issues of some key staff involved or something. If they are available now and they have something storywise that can match the first season, by all means.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it obvious? They need to make a movie about them making a "Third Aerial Girls Squad" movie. Or a TV series about making the movie. Surely it's a different enough process to provide a good story without seeming like a complete rehash.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that the six new Girls und Panzer films will keep Tsutomu Mizushima busy for a long time, and I'm not sure he'd be able to split his time between that project and a new season of Shirobako. Also, I wouldn't like to see another director take his place.
moogrin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I want to see an actual Third Aerial Girls Squad TV series or movie (not a making-of). I really liked the OVA they put out of a "first episode" and it just made me want it to really happen. They could always change the plot from what they did within the series so the ending isn't spoiled too.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
To the two people who commented right after me, I only speak for myself when I say that I believe that there is still some story left to tell in the world of Shirobako. And also, the people behind the show said that if they can come up with new material that they feel comfortable with showing to its audience, they will find a way to make it. But I get what you're coming from. I too would rather have no sequel than a bad one. But I guess I just prefer to have some faith that it could turn out well rather than bad.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind a sequel series, but I will agree with those who thought the original series ended on the right note, with just enough to hint that everything will turn out just fine for Aoi and her classmates.

But if they do decide on a new season... I'd like to see the characters not only tackle a film but also delve some more into anime history. How about have them do a remake of Andes Chucky?
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
how does one remake a thing that does not exist, though?
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
After doing an anime-original production in season one, and a manga adaptation in season two, I figured the only thing left for season three would be a hentai.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see how the studio handles a flop.

Perhaps a tie-in product where both products diverge?

For me, Shirobako was a vehicle to tell stories of the industry within a larger story. Surely all the drama of the industry hasn't been exhausted yet. Some characters might need to take a backseat, or switch roles. How many times have Key Animators become Directors? Maybe someone on Desk has to do some more creative work?

So as long as there are great possibilities for stories to be told, I remain full of hope. Maybe they won't be as good as the original. but then we'll all be sitting around a fire and discussing how the sequel shed more light on how great the original was.

After this director made Girls Und Panzer one of the best series of its year, downvoting a sequel would have deprived us the funny Anzio OVA and the amazing 'der Film.' I see no reason to stop, and no matter how poor a sequel the original still shines.

Compare Genshiken and its sequel. And then we got Nidaime after Genshiken2 was panned. Even if there is a bomb, a franchise can rise again. Devil may Cry 1, 2, and 3, anyone? Games, sure. Stay hopeful!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
First and foremost Shirobako was about the anime industry itself and one thing they have yet to tackle is how fast it has been changing in the past five years. Also, there is no "happy ending" in real life. For voice actors it is a hurdle to become self-sufficient, but the next hurdle is to stay profitable. All the girls have a lot of room for improving. I would also want to see the deluge of "refugees" when an anime studio (let's call it notmangloble) goes bankrupt. They could also tackle the differences of how to make a movie (recently there have more each season). BCS we might get a sequel by next year.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd like another series of Shirobako, I did feel plenty fulfilled with Shirobako as is but I still feel like there's more stories to be told. Dealing with harsh criticism from fans when a popular source material isn't living up in anime form, the studio producing a movie and learning the changes from TV production to feature film creation, I'd like to see Aoi making new steps in her career, she could become an animation producer on a project or episode director or assistant director.

Seeing the other characters progress would be great too, Shizuka landing a more prominent but supporting role, Ema designs characters or works as an assistant character designer or an animation director, Misa advances more in her work as a CG Artist, Midori can helm a full script with her mentor, ah there's still so much that can be done, it surprises me people would think there's nothing more to tell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2