• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Garo Season Two: Crimson Moon BD+DVD [2017-07-25]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Wow that's not good, I had heard good things about Garo before.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Wow that's not good, I had heard good things about Garo before.

The first animated Garo show is good. And I very much hope the third show will be better than Crimson Moon.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think Crimson Moon is a blip in an otherwise decent franchise. Don't let it stop you from other Garo family members. Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Overall, Crimson Moon was a big let down compared to the first anime. It seemed like they never quite grasped any of what made that one entertaining.

Also, thank you for mentioning how unpleasant episode 15 is. Frankly, I hated that episode, and it ended up souring my opinion of the show. I'm not sure what bothered me most, the sexual assaults played for humor that beget no consequences for the perpetrator, the fact that the jilted wife suffers the repercussions, spoiler[ the fact that the man feels liberated after his now Horror wife dies, or that his childhood friend who says she never had any attraction towards him and that he should go back to his wife, suddenly decides to give him one last romp after he writes one poem about going back to his wife and asking forgiveness. ] Seriously, the amount of hypocrisy in that episode made me take a break and watch something else for a while.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
I don't remember much from the second Garo at this point and for good reason. Having said that, I'm still baffled as to why they decided to cut the story 3 episodes short. The second season was listed as 26 episodes up until the last couple of weeks of the shows airing, and then they change the episode count and just decide to end it at episode 23 out of nowhere. They never deal with the other villain(I forget his name at this point), and it just abruptly ends.

I don't think they ever explained what happened there(and probably never will), and I also can't recall any other series where the episode count went down during the actual airing of the show. Sometimes you get shows that were originally planned to run for longer(apparently Angel Beats is one such show) but then something happens and they end up only giving it 12 or 13 episodes. Anyway, the whole thing is just very strange.

If they make a third Garo series they need to get the team that worked on the first Garo. Now that was a great show.

Last edited by BlueBeast33 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I know I'm in the minority here, but I actualy enjoyed this series quite a lot. Sure, it wasn't anywhere near the first Garo (or the wonderful Divine Flame film), but at the very least it was much better than a lot of the generic crap we see season after season. Plus, I found Seimei to be a really cool character
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here, but I actualy enjoyed this series quite a lot. Sure, it wasn't anywhere near the first Garo (or the wonderful Divine Flame film), but at the very least it was much better than a lot of the generic crap we see season after season. Plus, I found Seimei to be a really cool character

we're in the major minority since i didn't have a problem with the series and ep 24 definitely threw me for a loop on one major character's origins.

sure its not as good as the first season (which i have some very very serious gripes about during part two) , BUT to be frank i'd rather have raikou and seimei as a couple than leon and emma. now that pairing is BY FAR MORE cringe worthy than those two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
the Live Action Toku shows are generally considered fantastic, though.

Especially from the more recent era .
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Another episode I loathed (though I think that was in the first half) was the one with the single mother that had a four year old child and a baby and the child tried to join that one guy's thief gang to get food but the thief chief whose name I don't remember refused him and also didn't offer him any alternatives to survive which was portrayed as such a honorable thing to do. Later on the sickly mother chooses to cling to life for her children's sake and this is portrayed as "weakness" so she turns into a Horror. The conclusion of the episode is of course the mother getting killed and the two infant children orphaned with no means to sustain themselves and that was somehow supposed to be a happy ending. It was so ridiculous and absurd it's one of the few episodes I actually remember from the series.

Looking back on that, and the Kosode episode and the rapist man episode mentioned in this review, the show was spousing a lot of pretty fucked up ideas and concepts, so hopefully it'll remain in forgotten obscurity so that, if more Garo anime gets made, it'll be closer to Honoo no Kokuin instead of this awful mess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1