• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Crowdfund Gunsmith Cats Blu-ray Disc

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
When did AnimEigo get the rights to the Gunsmith Cats OVA?
Ataru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Wish there was a TV series by now. Hope the dub is included.

fuuma_monou wrote:

ADV went under and the rights were never snatched up by Discotek. Maybe in the past couple of days/weeks since this was just announced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

ADV went under and the rights were never snatched up by Discotek. Maybe in the past couple of days/weeks since this was just announced.

It's just that with the previous AE Blu-ray Kickstarters, they already had the rights since the VHS era. Have they ever done any other license rescues?

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Sold! I'm a fan of this OVA. It's not as good as the best parts of the manga, but it's still pretty entertaining (and has a car chase that makes Castle of Caligiostro's look like a beginner's). I also hope they retain the ADV dub, curiously one of their few decent English dubs.

Man do I wish there had been more animated GSC. It was just screaming for more. Though I'm sure some of the more controversial content would have to be toned down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
I don't see any reason why the Blu-Ray for Gunsmith cats won't have the ADV dub. The dub is pretty much a foregone conclusion considering how good it is. Plus, it adds a layer of authenticity to the OVA's settings. The show does take place in the U.S.A. after all. Wink

Rally Vincent just isn't Rally Vincent without Amanda Winn Lee and Rob Mungle as ATF agent, Collins.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that "Gunsmith Cats" is going to be on Blu-Ray. I'm grateful that a new generation's going to see this thing. It's a good anime and deserves to be better known. On a personal note,I own the original ADV DVD. I'm glad that AnimEigo's doing this. I'm surprised that Discotek didn't get this but it's a good thing all the same. Very Happy
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to backing this. AnimeEigo's Kickstarters have been well run, and I think that's the part I'm looking forward to most.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Im sold on this. I LOVE GSC
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Great news! But oh oh OH do we need a proper series to be made!
animefan1238

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Thos was a show I always wanted to see bit never had a chance to when I started out as a fan. And was oddly enough talking about it a few days ago. Maybe its a sign. LoL.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
I've been wanting a new Gunsmith Cats anime for years. But this is great too Very Happy
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
Was there ever a Gunsmith Cats Blu-ray in Japan? If there is I can't seem to find it. AnimEigo's previous Kickstarter BDs all had a release in Japan first if I'm not mistaken, so this would be new...?
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
I guess it'll be time for me to own my 3rd version of Gunsmith Cats then. I still have my VHS tapes of the original release as well as the "essential anime collection" version of the DVD. I do wish it was something new, but this anime is true classic in my eyes that more people should see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
ADV's existing DVD appears to be in the price range that is typical for out-of-print titles of its era. Unless a bargain appears by happenstance soon, this may be something to bear in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Oh man I can't contain my excitement for this.

I just hope the tiers for backing don't go too high because knowing me if they have 1 ridiculous one that cost a small fortune but gives you amazing extras like original artwork etc go ahead and take my money.

Can already see it now I'll be supporting the most I can afford even though I could easily be that 1 backer at the highest level we will see what that offers you.

Will even chip in to get my best friend a copy since it was probably thee Anime he really liked.

Still like others have mentioned I never heard of a Japanese release on Blu-ray because I would have long imported it by now. If it looks anything like the Bubblegum Crisis version it will worth watching and owning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3