• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Yurika Endō to Retire From Entertainment Career in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Unfortunate that her health got worse. I wish her the best in life. Thank you for contributing to the culture.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
After Angel's 3Piece, I'd retire too.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Damn, she's like 23-4 right now. That's a shame. I dislike to see what this industry does to so many people. Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Calvello did not quit voice acting because it was too hard, and she was the original voice actress for Excel.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
Calvello took a break on her doctor's advice.
She could have damaged her vocal cords permanently if she had kept on going. with the Excel role. I'm sure she's learned to pace herself better and established her own limits.

This is serious stuff. I've been around people who had ruined their voices -- usually these were people who were heavy smokers and sang their guts out. I've also kind of wondered about how people can risk their livelihood with bad habits but not everybody thinks they'll be the one that gets lung cancer or get polyps on their vocal cords because of tobacco use or over-drinking. Generally, the singers who DO keep decent voices well into old age are the guys who WEREN'T heavy smokers (usually non-smokers) or drinkers at all. Some of them sound remarkably like they did age 30-40 and were performing well into their 70s and even early 80s!
On the other hand, you have anomalies like the late Mel Blanc (voice of most of the classic Looney Tunes characters and the original Barney Rubble) who was at least a two pack-a-day smoker for most of his life. The guy did voiceover work at last as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1987 or 1988) and that was within a year of his death. He'd been doing voiceover for animation since at least the late 1930s, earlier than that for radio.The guy only quit smoking heavily a few years before he passed away. Still, Blanc developed emphysema but that only makes sense when you're inhaling hot particles and tar into your lungs all the time!

I don't know what's going going on with this Japanese actress in the article but people do seem to burn out quickly in entertainment in general. I think I had read elsewhere that the average length of a professional career in entertainment is about 5-7 years. There are very few people who are successful for that long and most people who have done it for decades have had periods where they were "in the wilderness" and had to do "shit jobs" (lousy films, mediocre TV series) to keep on getting a paycheck. As important as it to HAVE hits, it's when you stop working and don't appear for a few years that people really forget you. People familiar with the career of the late Adam West know he did plenty of shlock before and after Batman but he didn't let the success and legacy of that show (one of the iconic shows of the 1960s, probably the best-known superhero series ever made for TV) destroy him. He persevered and eventually became much in-demand again in the last 2 decades of his life. In the meantime, he did plenty of films and TV guest spots as well as the convention circuit like any other celebrity...

In Japan, I think some of these women also run up against cultural expectations and they retire to do more "traditional" things or get married. Some of the articles about the amount of control talent agencies have over idols or the reactions of obsessive fans to the personal life, dating, and marriage of some of these actors are just disturbing. But then some of us are forgetting actors have been stalked and hurt or killed in the US and elsewhere by fans, too, so it's not like crazy behavior is limited to one culture.

Jessica Calvello has done a lot since Excel Saga (mostly with Sentai/Section 23 lately but I think she's cast as one of the main characters in the upcoming Aria Blu ray dub from Nozomi) and is a very good actress. Still one of the better ones doing anime dubs today, IMHO.

Nice lady, too. Met her about 2-3 years ago at a con. Signed the insert of one of my "New Cutey Honey" DVDs, today!

On a sidenote, I wish they would re-release that series on Blu ray in the States... I know it got an HD remaster in Japan!
It's probably the best Cutey Honey series after the original TV show... Frankly, I'm surprised they never released the 3-part OVA series that tied in with the first-live action film which DID get released by Bandai in the States over 10 years ago.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
You know something is seriously wrong when a seiyuu has to take retirement so early just to preserve her stability.

I wish Yurika Endō best of luck in her future adventures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1