• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lost Song Anime's 2nd Promo Video Reveals March 31 Premiere on Netflix Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TemplateR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
Why can´t Netflix just simulcast the anime? I don´t really need a dubbed version of it from the beginning, it could released it later.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 am Reply with quote
Jeez will there ever be a Netflix-related topic without anyone complaining? Rolling Eyes
Some of us actually prefer to binge-watch things, you know...so this system works just fine.
Anyways, trailer seems to be ok. Obviously not as exciting as the rest of the March Netflix line-up but pretty promising in an old-fashioned, Dysney-esque kind of way
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
Why can´t Netflix just simulcast the anime? I don´t really need a dubbed version of it from the beginning, it could released it later.

That comment doesn't appear to be relevant to this anime, since there is no broadcast to be "simultaneous" with.
TemplateR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
TemplateR wrote:

That comment doesn't appear to be relevant to this anime, since there is no broadcast to be "simultaneous" with.

I understand Netflix, but sometimes I wanted only to watch the first episodes to chech, if the Anime suited me. And that also for the anime "Lost Song".
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Jeez will there ever be a Netflix-related topic without anyone complaining? Rolling Eyes
Some of us actually prefer to binge-watch things, you know...so this system works just fine.
Anyways, trailer seems to be ok. Obviously not as exciting as the rest of the March Netflix line-up but pretty promising in an old-fashioned, Dysney-esque kind of way

Yeah, if you like binge-watch, you could wait for it to end, while others watch it weekly, otherwise, you're being egotistical. This is not like Devilman, the news clearly states that it'll be streamed weekly in Japan before west, so Netflix can bring it at the same time, like with Violet Evergarden (I'm not American, sorry). Not reason to wait months when there are people who doesn't care for binge watching.

I know I'll never wait for Netflix to bring shows late.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or is there something off about the animation and design?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
-Some info on the Eng. dub recording process: the upcoming "B: the Beginning" finished its Eng. dub recordings almost 2 weeks ago (the dub director's tweet here mentions about a wrap-up party on 2/2: bit.ly/2nVvvOz) and they were recording the Eng. dub about the same time the Japanese were recording the Japanese dub. The L.A. dubbing method is to "binge record", so to speak. With the Funi simuldub* method, a dubbed epi. might finishing get recording as late as 2-3 days before the dubbed epi. becomes available to watch. Adding to this pressure is that the 1st dub epi. often premieres the same week the 3rd subbed episode starts streaming.

-How Netflix can/should improve.
1. On licensing amount/simulcasts/Eng. dubs: for each season, they pick 8-10 anime series from that season. Of those, at least 5 series get weekly simulcasts and at least 2-3 of those 5 series will get a weekly Eng. dub stream. For finished Eng. dub recordings, debut the 1st Eng. dub the same day as the 1st subbed epi. premiere. For ongoing Eng. dub recordings, debut the 1st Eng. dub epi. AT LEAST the same week the the 3rd subbed epi. becomes available.

2. Concerning availability: have each show be available to at least 95% of those 190+ territories that NF sometimes mentions. We have to also factor how certain governments in some territories censor or block Netflix. Counting time zone differences, if an epi. of each series streams in Territory A before Territory B, have each epi. debut in Territory B within 24 hours of Territory A's premiere. If this method was used, then "Violet Evergarden" would have already been available to the USA by, excluding proxies.

3. Transparency of "Netflix Originals": for a title to carry the "Netflix Originals" label, have it actually be an original anime that was licensed by and partially produced/financed by Netflix. Putting that label on the "Seven Deadly Sins" mini-season (if NF did) is almost like false advertising. In the case of the prev. example, use "Netflix Exclusive" instead.

*However, "simuldub" is a common-law trademark owned by Funimation, thus we should use "simuldub" for Funi. If another company did a similar method, "broadcast dub" would be a good alternative name. Heck, it's what Funi used to call a "simuldub".

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Is it me or is there something off about the animation and design?

I noticed that too. The character designs don't look cohesive to me. When I first saw the promo art I thought it was some sort of collaboration with characters from different series with how they all look carelessly slapped on there, and the over-saturated colors don't help its case.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
What's with the random CGI dancing. Is this some medieval idol show O_o? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1