• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mary and The Witch's Flower, Ghibli Films Return to U.S. Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Pshaw... no Kiki's?

Blasphemy.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully I can catch it this time.
thenextday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
They're still calling it a "premiere event" and charging extra for tickets even though it isn't a premiere. Tickets where I live average around $5.00 and they expect me to pay almost 3 times that. No thanks, I'll wait for streaming.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The Cat Returns but not Whisper of the Heart? That's literally backwards.

Kiki's showed last year, I guess it might not have gotten a strong enough response to make it a return showing. If they wanted to include new ones some of the others had to drop out.

Seeing one Takahashi included is nice, although I'll echo my wish from last year and say that I'd prefer The Tale of The Princess Kaguya or Only Yesterday over Pom Poko. Most kid-friendly movie of his Ghibli films but it's not as if I saw many kids in the theater last year. A few but the main draw were adult fans and adult fans that brought their kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
When I went to see Mary And The Witch's Flower last month it cost me $13. No way am I going to pay that price to see a movie I already have on bluray.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Really kicking myself for not seeing it the one week six days I could have used my Movie Pass to see it. Fathom events like these aren't included. I figured it would be there for two weeks OR AT LEAST A FULL WEEK- I was headed to the theater on Thursday and found they had just dropped it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Really kicking myself for not seeing it the <strike>one week</strike> six days I could have used my Movie Pass to see it. Fathom events like these aren't included. I figured it would be there for two weeks OR AT LEAST A FULL WEEK- I was headed to the theater on Thursday and found they had just dropped it.

I actually managed to use my moviepass on it when it came thru so uh, heads up on next time?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
The theater I work at did this last year, and I saw them all. I also caught Mononoke and Spirited Away the year before, as well as Cagliostro in Sept. I REALLY wish they were showing The Wind Rises, because after June, I will have seen all of Miyazaki's movies on the big screen EXCEPT for that one...

It's cool they're showing Pom Poko and Cat Returns, but I wish they were showing some other non-Miyazaki Ghibli movies like Whisper of the Heart, Arrietty, and Grave of the Fireflies.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Really kicking myself for not seeing it the one week six days I could have used my Movie Pass to see it. Fathom events like these aren't included. I figured it would be there for two weeks OR AT LEAST A FULL WEEK- I was headed to the theater on Thursday and found they had just dropped it.

I actually managed to use my moviepass on it when it came thru so uh, heads up on next time?

It also worked for me, but I just had to pay the difference. I did this for Mary and the Digimon Tri.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
When I went to see Mary And The Witch's Flower last month it cost me $13. No way am I going to pay that price to see a movie I already have on bluray.

Where did you pay $13? It cost me $15 plus the ticket reservation!

Anyhow, I'm with you on the home video business.

If I have the film on disc, I'm far less likely to go see it in a theater again! I'd rather stay home and watch it on the LCD screen instead of competing for parking space and paying concession prices for snacks. No, thank you!

I pretty much use debut screenings as a way to screen films and decide whether I'll buy them later... I got a better average on anime versus Hollywood nowadays. I do want to buy about 75% of the recent anime features on home video once they do get released on disc. It's the exact opposite for Hollywood and I DO feel cheated. The last Star Wars movie was a LOW moment in moviegoing for me (everything that's wrong about movies today was in WIDESCREEN, HI-DEF display in that film!!!) and I'm glad I only paid $5 for that ticket!

Over half the Ghibli have been released TWICE on Blu ray in North America.
There are only a couple of re-releases left.

[I told people here just over a year ago Disney was NOT going to keep these licenses forever but they didn't believe me!]

Best Buy has most of the GKids re-releases on sale for $12.99 (the current GKids/Shout Factory re-releases) IF your local store has them in stock!

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The theater I work at did this last year, and I saw them all. I also caught Mononoke and Spirited Away the year before, as well as Cagliostro in Sept. I REALLY wish they were showing The Wind Rises, because after June, I will have seen all of Miyazaki's movies on the big screen EXCEPT for that one...

Well, Disney did a huge campaign for The Wind Rises when it was brand-new.

It was probably the last major push for an Oscar for Feature Animation for a Japanese film.

Being touted as being Miyazaki's last film (for his millionth announcement that he was retiring), they made a huge deal of it and if you were in the hobby (anime collecting) back then, it was hard to miss the film.

Honestly, though, it was probably the weakest of Hayao Miyazaki's Ghibli films. It had some issues with pacing and the way the story unfolded. There was huge political controversy over it since the central character was the designer of the Mitsubishi Zero fighter. It was ridiculous how they accused Miyazaki of being warmonger just around that fact!

It also replaced Princess Mononoke as my least favorite Hayao Miyazaki Ghibli film but that was strictly over the pacing issues and script.

As far as Grave of the Fireflies goes, it's licensed by Sentai Films/Section 23. That film in particular has been licensed by other companies in North America for about 20 years now.
Central Park Media/US Manga Corps had that license FOREVER and kept the license through the bankruptcy of that company (2006-2007?). They did the prior VHS, laserdisc, AND DVD releases (2 DVD editions, I think -- the second release had remastered video and I've got that one) in the US.
Sentai Films has license-rescued and re-released that movie on DVD and Blu ray (first North American Blu ray edition) since.
Disney didn't license Grave of the Fireflies for obvious reasons -- it didn't fit their "happy film" family-friendly image.
Disney also didn't release Only Yesterday and My Neighbors the Yamadas on Blu ray in the US despite having the licenses for them. They never bothered releasing Only Yesterday on ANY format in the US even though it was shown on TCM over 10 years ago and exhibited with subtitles at several film fests across North America. GKids/Universal finally released Only Yesterday on Blu ray/DVD this past year and it was just two weeks ago GKids/Shout Factory released My Neighbors the Yamada on Blu ray for the first time in North America.

With the exception of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, Disney didn't bother to license and release the last few Ghibli films on Blu ray in North America.

GKids itself changed distributors for their video titles. They were partnered with Universal Home Video to release their Ghibli licenses but they apparently have switched over partnership to Shout Factory. The GKids/Shout Factory re-releases have been generally cheaper than the Disney Blu ray releases were but over half the titles haven't gotten immediate first-day releases at Best Buy so far. They HAVE been showing up at Barnes & Noble on FYE on store shelves near streetdate (if you don't want to buy online). I've noticed decent sales at B&N, 30% is typical for close to street date, but their copies are sleeveless (no cardboard slipcase).

I've noticed the Gkids Ghibli re-releases been lagging about 2-3 weeks behind first day releases but the prices have been generally better than online (which has in a few cases price-matched the eventual Best Buy sale pricing).
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I already saw Mary and the Witch’s Flower in theaters (the dub was amazing), but what I want is the bluray. It has a spot on Amazon right now but it doesn’t have a release date. Also while I do like that Fathom actually plays in the big theaters such as Cinemark (when Funimation movies don’t like Your Name), I hate how Fathom tickets cost so freaking expensive. I could buy the bluray for the same price usually and show it to my whole family.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
@GeorgeC I know The Wind Rises was in theaters, but that was a few years ago now, and I don't know if it played anywhere near me. I guess it's because the rights are still with Disney/Touchstone. I know it's the only one GKIDS doesn't have home video rights for.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

It also worked for me, but I just had to pay the difference. I did this for Mary and the Digimon Tri.

When you say you used it- do you mean for the Premiere or the week of shows after?

It wouldn't have been a problem for the six days after the premiere. That was a regular (if short) theatrical release. And as I said, I tried to go, a day late.( Again, who switches movies on a Thursday!?)
But the premiere and the days announced in this article are "events" and not (supposed to be) eligible for Movie Pass admission anymore than being allowed to use it on 3-D movie tickets.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
xchampion wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Really kicking myself for not seeing it the <strike>one week</strike> six days I could have used my Movie Pass to see it. Fathom events like these aren't included. I figured it would be there for two weeks OR AT LEAST A FULL WEEK- I was headed to the theater on Thursday and found they had just dropped it.

When you say you used it- do you mean for the Premiere or the week of shows after?

It wouldn't have been a problem for the six days after the premiere. That was a regular (if short) theatrical release. And as I said, I tried to go, a day late.( Again, who switches movies on a Thursday!?)
But the premiere and the days announced in this article are "events" and not (supposed to be) eligible for Movie Pass admission anymore than being allowed to use it on 3-D movie tickets.

Nope, waltzed in Thursday Jan 18th on the premiere. Checked in on the app in the parking lot and swiped the card at the box office. Saw the fathom events slideshow before the movie, got the little collectable ticket and everything. No extra charge, no angry email from moviepass : /
Saito?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Love the movie festival, something to look forward to almost every month!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2