• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High Score Girl (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote

Hi Score Girl (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
It's 1991 and the heyday of the 2D fighting game boom. Sixth-grader Haruo spends practically his entire day at an arcade in the seedy part of town, oblivious to the world around him. However, one day at his usual arcade, he encounters Akira, his female classmate with good grades and money. She may look out of place at the arcade, but she is actually a top-class gamer. Akira completely outmatches Haruo in one Street Fighter II round after another, and their relationship develops from this unlikely encounter.
(from manga)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer 2018 anime adapting the manga. This was announced awhile ago but finally is premiering this Summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Finally this aired. It's been so long since it was announced that I didn't have hope to see it on TV but here it is. It's faithful to the manga in terms of visuals and there's a lot of game themes.

The episode made an impression to me with the main characters' debuts. So far, the episode focused more on fighting games with the one-on-one competition. Street Fighters is such a classic so it's no surprise to see it being featured

Really happpy to see Akira animated!

I'd say this show started off in a good way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I am not familiar with the manga but as soon as read the show description... I have been waiting for this show too. I had a feeling I would love it and I am glad to say the 1st ep did not disappoint. Brings me back to my golden days of running to the arcade after school. Ono is going to be fun to watch no doubt.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
I was interested in this show the moment that I read that it took place in 1991 in Japanese arcades! 1991 was the year of my first trip to Japan and I remember how awesome I found the arcades there to be. I'm really hoping that more games will appear in later episodes, especially some of the more wild games like Galaxian 3. The early 90s was an impressive era for the arcade industry and my biggest regret of that time was that I only got to go to Japan once during that time. It wasn't until 1998 that I'd make my second trip to Japan, and by that time, things had changed fairly drastically.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
I kind of hope that she does not stay silent, because it kind of feels like it lessens her actually being a character.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
In a way I hope she does not say much. makes me more curious about her and keeps my imagination pumping. On the other hand her character will get old if she does not speak. Akira has a lot to say, he probably could carry the show with his antics.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This show is definitely a keeper!

The first part of the second episode focused on my favorite, but fairly unknown game system, the PC Engine (the TurboGrafx-16 in the US). I certainly wasn't expecting it, so I was quite pleasantly surprised to see Haruo being a fan of the system and singing its praises! I really hope that they revisit the PC Engine again in a later episode to focus on the game systems add-on, the CD-ROM² System, which made the PC Engine the first console to release games on CD.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Well she finally made some noise and it was intense. It was a bit of a shock , and I was moved. Guess I am a big softy Anime cry Too bad almost no one is watching this show.-_-
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Kind of happy that we now have a character who has a voice.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
I'm glad it's moving forward through the years of gaming history a bit. Episode 5 is hilarious with Yaguchi and Hidaka trying to interpret what Raiden is saying in Mortal Kombat.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I am few ep's behind so the last one I watched was 8. I loved the tournament that was fun. It was good to see Yaguchi beating most of them , even though he beat Ono we know why. The scene where he confronts her , and gets his ass totally kicked for realz was awesome , especially when the necklace dropped out of her shirt. I feel bad for Hidaka , she has no chance and I think she knows it but can't help herself. I know it bothers some that Ono does not really speak but her actions are kind of loud and clear in a way. it is possible I would not like her as much as I do in this show if she was chatty. Looking forward to the rest of the show , just wish it was getting traction in the fandom. Does not look like that many people are watching this. I wonder if it has something to do with the synopsis maybe mentioning the retro aspect of the time frame is making people think it is not going to be relevant to their present lives. I guess it could be I am just too old -_- lol

edit. actually I was just looking at the numbers on a certain site and the numbers are not that bad not great either but a little more than I thought. Maybe it is just here that it is not that popular.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale, before 3 OVA episodes next year)

The story feels like it is just ramping to the final levels, as he will have to choose which girl he might like to pursue, but the episodes won't be out for a while, so I think that it warrants a review now.

I don't think the show works as well as it should. It feels like it is going off of nostalgia, which maybe does not have as much effect on me because of the period, although the nostalgia that I was feeling when the PlayStation started up in this episode really did have an impact on me. Maybe if the whole show was like that to you, it could work. But I don't think the art works, I don't think it does anything in blending the accurate gameplay that comes into the show, and generally feels like a cost saving element. Certainly does not say match up with charm either of another simple CGI quality show like Kemono Friends.

I still think Oono's character is weak due to her not speaking. Even if she has lots of other personality, in the end it just makes her come across as a prop rather than a character equal to the other main characters. It makes her feel like a silent protagonist in video game, that people just react to and you are expected to assume they are otherwise talking. And I don't think that is anything clever that it might add something to the series, because otherwise a silent protagonist is meant to interact with other characters that have stronger story elements, while she is the one being interacted with and her plot seems to be the driver of their relationship. By default it has me much more interested in Koharu, who is much more interesting.

This twelve episode series, I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it didn't really catch my attention.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
OVA 1, 2 and 3

Just checked them out. I did kind of find these more satisfying, despite it going with Koharu losing her rematch so she is meant to give up, but seems to not want to, and a ramp up of Ono not having the things she likes and isolated Haruo and I guess not really understanding his feelings. Haruo even wonders if her perhaps likes Koharu and is told she liked him for a while, and while feeling a bit resolved, it does not feel entirely. Haruo also seeming to have moments he interacts with Ono's life, meeting her tutor, and hanging out with her sister. Probably one of the better moments was when he was forced to play a dating sim while being watched by Koharu, the sister, and his mum.

It doesn't feel all over with how it is finished, but I did feel much more satisfied. I give a rating of Good (7/10), a pretty big leap from what I gave the rest, but I kind of give that as coming off of the rest, and good to have seen this after going through the rest. I think even the animation may have worked better this time, too.
toprak

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:17 am Reply with quote
EP 12
I mean, it felt me old days. I really liked color palletes and art style but many times 3d animations were sucks, I have nothing to say. It is not really bad not really good.
toprak

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
OVA 1 2 3
I watched them when I was sleepy, but they were better than anime series. I really liked it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2