• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idolm@ster SideM, Bungo Stray Dogs Film Win Top Newtype Anime Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
.... huh.

Well, out of the male idol things released in this period, the ones with better story and music than im@s had sort of average/bad animation (except for that final scene), and the ones with better animation had sort of average/bad story and music...

Still that seems... odd? It's not that popular. It just goes to show that there's no one measure of popularity.

Newtype readers vs. Comiket doujin circles vs. sales vs. merch at Animate vs. overseas ratings on something like Crunchyroll vs. what makes the memes vs. voters for other awards... it's not all one base.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is awesome. I love love love SideM, so it’s great to see it win in so many categories! Reason!! is an awesome song, and while Tendou and Touma aren’t necessarily my favorite characters (because I’m a HighxJoker/Shiki girl) I still love them.

I’m also happy to see so many seiyuu I love on the list, too. Miyano, Taniyama, Kaji and FukuJun have been favs for years. And for the newer kids, I have totally fallen in love with Umehara and Uchida. Uchida especially this year has really proven what an excellent actor (and singer) he is. The other four are also just as talented, and I’m looking forward to watching their careers grow.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, it's just another type of awards (to be fair, majority of the winner for award shows goes to popular things) where the most known brand get listed and won everything, despite there being one title that's truly such a masterpiece in it's respective field that it can't be reckoned with that easily. Let's just screw away the actual developed and utterly interesting character for the one that's just popular due to her sex appeal. At least the total number of blu ray sales pointing out that certain anime is certainly much more well received than that other one since it sold 10k blu ray units, defeating the ultra well known and yet ain't so great mecha tripe that could only sold at 5k/6k standard.

Last edited by Afezeria on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see CCS Clear Card still seems like it's pretty well liked in Japan. It seems like in American fandom, Clear Card was really big when it first aired, and then fans just started losing interest in it after that initial nostalgia wave hit even though it didn't do anything terrible and I personally liked it a lot.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm glad to see CCS Clear Card still seems like it's pretty well liked in Japan. It seems like in American fandom, Clear Card was really big when it first aired, and then fans just started losing interest in it after that initial nostalgia wave hit even though it didn't do anything terrible and I personally liked it a lot.

My wife and I wtched it on Crunchy within a day of a new ep release. We loved it and we want more. That dress in the first opening. It is gorgous.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
.... huh.

Well, out of the male idol things released in this period, the ones with better story and music than im@s had sort of average/bad animation (except for that final scene), and the ones with better animation had sort of average/bad story and music...

Still that seems... odd? It's not that popular. It just goes to show that there's no one measure of popularity.

If selling 90.000 BD and ranked 3rd in the top-selling anime for the first half of 2018 isn't considered popular, I'm not sure many of the seasonally popular anime can be considered as such.

ANN and many western viewer has tendency to severely underestimate the popularity of male idols franchise, be it the cd oriented ones or the mobage ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1