• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - King's Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Grimgar is getting re-released? Pretty sure I bought the blue ray like a year ago...
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe they decided to release King's Game in English, on DVD/BD. This was honestly one of the worst anime I've seen.

I just remember that part where one girl was on fire, and for some reasons she just spent like 20 minutes talking like nothing was happening to her.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
I can't believe they decided to release King's Game in English, on DVD/BD. This was honestly one of the worst anime I've seen.

I just remember that part where one girl was on fire, and for some reasons she just spent like 20 minutes talking like nothing was happening to her.

And the fire only seemed to affect her clothes for that time, but when she jumps off the nearby dam, she burns to ash before she hits the water.

I agree with Paul that the King’s true identity was amazingly ridiculous.
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The Metal Saga of Beyblade can be found on the official Beyblade YouTube channel for that series; there's another official Beyblade channel there; that one's for the current Burst series
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:

One of the big downsides of simuldub is that they sometimes get locked into dubbing some real garbage. The discs are just an attempt to get some of that money back.

Also, my sympathies to Paul for having to review it.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
King's Game was a case where a positive review gave me a more negative impression than all of the negative comments combined:
Quote:
I personally found this anime very enjoyable. If you enjoy watching people brutally killed, suffer, break their fingers, forced to have sex, extreme drama and female character with evil/sadistic personality, then this is the right anime for you.
(Full series spoilers at source - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1693805#msg53432373 )

"Binge some nature documentaries" - have you seen Satoyama: Japan's Secret Garden?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pII_2VbgheI

It was filmed by NHK (Japanese public television) and narrated by David Attenborough from the BBC (British public television), and I first saw it when it aired as an episode of NOVA on PBS (USA public television).
http://docuwiki.net/index.php?title=Satoyama:Japan%27s_Secret_Garden

Quote:
I grew up watching many nature documentaries and this is one of the most memorable I've seen, particularly because it shows how wildlife has adapted to centuries of rice farming. Many animals' annual cycles of breeding and migration depend on it. When farmers flood the dry paddies in spring, they are quickly populated with insects and fish, and birds time their migration to coincide with this suddenly accessible food source. Catfish and turtles come up from the lake to lay eggs. It's one of the best examples of sustainable coexistence in the world.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1431474

I just last season wrapped up watching all 200 episodes of OG Sailor Moon (over two years) and the Super S movie is the last part I haven't seen, but I don't want to do it because then it'll all be over :/
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Grimgar is getting re-released? Pretty sure I bought the blue ray like a year ago...

I think the timing is because now they can include the Funi digital copy this time (for those that don't subscribe to the subscription). They've been doing a few re-releases like that recently. Like for Drifters, which is also pretty recent.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I dont know what you guys are talking about. Kings Game was probably the best comedy of the year. I binged it in 1 sitting cause I just couldn't stop watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1