• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tatami Galaxy, on Blu-Ray from Funi, nine years later...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-video/the-tatami-galaxy-the-complete-series-bddvd-sub-only-bld-00858/?fbclid=IwAR0pcfn0hE9PaxQp2xVNMh9YIG6hEm3iLcbEIiZpV9gK9bOrj2FL_qkkoo8

The “years of Yuasa” continue. What a wild timeline, eh?

Last edited by Never_Know_Best on Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 am Reply with quote
Okay, I am singlehandedly taking credit for this, because I literally just caved and bought the UK limited BD set last week. You're welcome, universe! Razz
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
So... does this mean that if we bug companies enough, even if it's for 9 years, we might finally get physical releases of things? Time to go bug Sentai on Legend of the Galactic Heroes again!

Seriously though, is it because Devilman Crybaby was just so well loved, from both fans and critics, that Funi finally decided that sitting on a Masaaki Yuasa property they'd had for years that people wanted a physical release of was now becoming ludicrous?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:

Seriously though, is it because Devilman Crybaby was just so well loved, from both fans and critics, that Funi finally decided that sitting on a Masaaki Yuasa property they'd had for years that people wanted a physical release of was now becoming ludicrous?

I do believe he has legally changed his middle name to "From The Director of Devilman Crybaby," yes? ... or maybe that's just the impression I get from any current article that mentions him.

A little thanks may also go to The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl. After all, it is a recent (also well received) quasi-sequel to Tatami Galaxy. Even if it IS a GKids release, Funimation knows when the iron is hot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...Funimation's site is saying 1080i and we will probably have to deal with banding on the video, whereas the JPN and I believe the UK editions were 1080p. On the other hand, Funi's got extras that the UK edition didn't have. I'm kind of torn about rewarding Funi for their continued mediocrity that they've seem to have fallen into in the last couple of years. There is still some places I could pick up the UK edition that I've been meaning to for a while...Hmmm...
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if it's because these outfits (Funimation, CR, Rooster Teeth, et al) got merged into the larger Entertainment venues (Sony, Warner et al) with deeper pockets that esoteric anime we like finally have chances to get produced for US consumption. Theory might be a pipe dream but I am ecstatic that The Tatami Galaxy is getting a US release.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
Why is *anything* being released in interlaced form when a progressive scan version exists?
I can’t even remember the last time I saw an interlaced TV, even at a thrift store (they haven’t taken them for years)

At any rate, I’m going to pick this up.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Why is *anything* being released in interlaced form when a progressive scan version exists?
I can’t even remember the last time I saw an interlaced TV, even at a thrift store (they haven’t taken them for years)
Maybe it's another case of "provide inferior masters to sabotage the US release to discourage reverse importation"; the UK version doesn't share the same region coding as Japan. It seems odd to do so after so much time has gone by, but then again, repeat offender Kadokawa is apparently involved in the production...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Better late than never! I caved five years ago and bought import discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1