Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mari Okada's O Maidens in Your Savage Season Manga Ends in September




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TichoSlicer



Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 94
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
I hope we get all the story in the anime.. ;x
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 208
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
I thought this had a lot of promise when I first started reading it. The first volume is excellent in my opinion. But I think it largely ignores its original premise and turns into rather generic shojo after that. I haven't read much beyond the 3rd volume so perhaps things change back to the original focus?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zhou-BR



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 941
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
The first episode has already covered over half of the first volume, so the anime seems to be well on track to adapt the whole thing. Good thing Okada herself is writing the scripts for the show, because she'll know better than anyone what to cut and what to keep in the adaptation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 208
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
The first episode has already covered over half of the first volume, so the anime seems to be well on track to adapt the whole thing. Good thing Okada herself is writing the scripts for the show, because she'll know better than anyone what to cut and what to keep in the adaptation.


That's really good to hear! I hadn't watched any of the anime yet, but I'm much more interested now that I know that. If Okada is directing then perhaps the anime will do a better job sticking to its core premise than the manga does (at least so far....I feel bad talking about the manga having only read a limited amount of it)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
#HayamiLover



Joined: 22 Jul 2018
Posts: 478
Location: Eastern Europe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
The first episode has already covered over half of the first volume, so the anime seems to be well on track to adapt the whole thing. Good thing Okada herself is writing the scripts for the show, because she'll know better than anyone what to cut and what to keep in the adaptation.


That's really good to hear! I hadn't watched any of the anime yet, but I'm much more interested now that I know that. If Okada is directing then perhaps the anime will do a better job sticking to its core premise than the manga does (at least so far....I feel bad talking about the manga having only read a limited amount of it)


Typical shoujo? For this demography it is not typical to discuss the issues of physical sexuality so explicitly, so this is no longer a typical shoujo. In my opinion, it is even closer to the romantic seinen than to any girl-focused work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Utsuro no Hako



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 901
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:08 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:


Typical shoujo? For this demography it is not typical to discuss the issues of physical sexuality so explicitly, so this is no longer a typical shoujo. In my opinion, it is even closer to the romantic seinen than to any girl-focused work.


Guys, the series isn't shoujo at all. It runs in Bessatsu Shounen, the same magazine as Attack on Titan, A Silent Voice, Flowers of Evil and Happiness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DerekL1963
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 14 Jan 2015
Posts: 734
Location: Puget Sound
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Guys, the series isn't shoujo at all. It runs in Bessatsu Shounen, the same magazine as Attack on Titan, A Silent Voice, Flowers of Evil and Happiness.


Genre is determined by the work itself, not it's neighborhood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hissatsu01



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 936
Location: NYC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Genre is determined by the work itself, not it's neighborhood.

For manga that is pretty much exactly wrong. Shoujo, shounen, seinen, etc. are all determined by what magazine they're serialized in, utterly regardless of content. Might not seem to make sense sometimes, but that's how it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Utsuro no Hako



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 901
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:00 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Genre is determined by the work itself, not it's neighborhood.


Yes, that's true. But shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei aren't genres; they're demographic categories. They describe the target audience for a series, not the content of the story. You can have shoujo action series, shounen romances, and josei horror.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 208
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:31 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Typical shoujo? For this demography it is not typical to discuss the issues of physical sexuality so explicitly, so this is no longer a typical shoujo. In my opinion, it is even closer to the romantic seinen than to any girl-focused work.


The point I was making is that it only focuses on "issues of physical sexuality" in the first volume, then that concept seems to disappear entirely. Like I said I haven't read the whole manga so perhaps things change back again, but volumes 2 & 3 appear to have nearly entirely abandoned the early chapters' reference to sexuality. I can only recall one very brief scene which made reference to the original theme in the 2nd and 3rd volumes, whereas the first is packed with them.

I wasn't claiming that the title ran in a shoujo magazine or that it necessarily was shoujo in the true sense of the word. I was just pointing out that it changes a LOT from its original premise. The first volume seems rather special with its take on adolescence and sexuality, whereas the next two volumes--to me, anyway--read like generic shojo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RealMTL



Joined: 09 Jun 2018
Posts: 72
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
I hope we get all the story in the anime.. ;x


Same, an incomplete story would just suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 1138
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
The point I was making is that it only focuses on "issues of physical sexuality" in the first volume, then that concept seems to disappear entirely. Like I said I haven't read the whole manga so perhaps things change back again, but volumes 2 & 3 appear to have nearly entirely abandoned the early chapters' reference to sexuality. I can only recall one very brief scene which made reference to the original theme in the 2nd and 3rd volumes, whereas the first is packed with them.


Well... depending on the story, it might make sense that it doesn't keep focusing on the physical sex, and naturally grows as the characters mature and seek relationships, maybe? otherwise the schtick might wear itself out, but this seems like a typical coming-of-age thing and while the 'physical sex' aspect is what sets the ball rolling, the story is probably more to do with just growing up in many ways and that whole 'youth doesn't last forever' topic.

I haven't read any of the manga, but if as you say it's not sticking to that premise, then maybe it's likely that the story is about more than just that, but I guess I'll see as the show goes on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gedata



Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 490
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Genre is determined by the work itself, not it's neighborhood.

Demographics aren't genres, and don't work as content descriptors in the same way. A work being "shoujo" only tells you that the main target audience is young girls, and literally nothing else, which doesn't seem to be the case here based on the magazine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AkumaChef



Joined: 10 Jan 2019
Posts: 208
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

I haven't read any of the manga, but if as you say it's not sticking to that premise, then maybe it's likely that the story is about more than just that, but I guess I'll see as the show goes on.


You'd have to read the manga to see what I'm getting at. The first volume deals with the topic of exploring sexuality only nearly every page--not in the same way, of course: sometimes it's done with silly jokes, sometimes it's a serious scene--but it's there. The second and third volumes, as far as I can recall, have only a single page referring to it. It's a major change. If the art wasn't the same and the characters didn't have the same names you'd swear that vol 1 and vols 2/3 were not the same manga at all. Like I said, perhaps things will go back to the original premise later on. Plenty of manga (and anime too) have filler and side-story stuff which has nothing to do with the main theme so maybe that's what's going on here too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group