• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What would you suggest a new anime fan to watch? And why?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gensouori

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
I don't think the three """"gate way""" (I.E Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) ((That's how I saw them, at least.) anime is a good way to get started. So I would like to ask the question, what would you suggest a newcomer to watch?

For me, I would suggest they watch something light-hearted and funny, such as Kiniro Mosaic or Nichijou, possibly even Yuru Yuri to an extent.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
Gensouori wrote:
I don't think the three """"gate way""" (I.E Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) ((That's how I saw them, at least.) anime is a good way to get started. So I would like to ask the question, what would you suggest a newcomer to watch?

I think it depends entirely on the person. Different people have different taste in movies, music, books, and so on; I don't see how anime would be any different. When I show anime to new fans I try and pick things that I expect they'll like based on their other preferences/hobbies, etc. If the person likes cyberpunk stuff then go with classics like Bubblegum Crisis or GitS. If the person is a gamer then there are plenty of anime right up that alley, especially with the recent proliferation of Isekai-themed titles. If the person is into cars or motorcycles you have things like You're Under Arrest, Initial D, eX-Driver, etc. If they like soap opera dramas it's hard to go wrong with Fushigi Yugi, etc. The nice thing about anime is that it has so many sub-genres that there's something for everybody.

The shows you listed are commonly called "gateway anime", but that's simply because they happened be broadcast on cable TV in the west and thus were highly accessible to fans of a particular age range. The same sorts of things existed for older generations of fans too. Turn the clock back and you find Sailor Moon, turn it back farther and you get Macross/Robotech, etc.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I think it depends entirely on the person. Different people have different taste in movies, music, books, and so on; I don't see how anime would be any different. When I show anime to new fans I try and pick things that I expect they'll like based on their other preferences/hobbies, etc.

This is my opinion as well. I think it ultimate depends on the person you're suggesting something to. Sure there are more mainstream titles that have wide appeal and are often used as gateway titles. Hence the mass appeal of them. If I'm trying specifically get someone to try anime, or at least new ones they have not seen, I feel you have to take it on a case by case basis. What do they like? What do they not like in terms of genres or stories? If someone has no interest in romcoms I am not going to suggest My Love Story to them anymore than I would suggest GITS to someone who does not like Sci-Fi titles.

It's also a bit hard to answer this question as there are soooo many choices out there beyond the big well known titles. Those can still be fine choices as well as long as the person's tastes line up with them. Generally speaking when I've suggested anime to new fans I try and keep it simple at first. Unless they're totally into super intricate stories I figure something a bit lighter and easier (within the genres they like) is a better place to start. Something easily enjoyed so they can get a feel for things without having to dive into the deep end right off the bat.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
What is said above is very true.

...but...

A Miyazaki movie.

If you know their tastes you can pick which works best for the person. Gritty- Princess Mononoke, Innocent- Totoro, History buff- The Wind Rises, Romantic- Whisper of the Heart (Miyazaki didn't direct, but did storyboard it)

If not, Spirited Away (a bit of everything) and Castle in the Sky (fantasy/action) are good movies in which almost anyone can find something to like.

For series... probably Cowboy Bebop. There's a reason it has practically played non-stop on Cartoon Network for 18 years (yes, I know, occasional multi-month gaps, maybe even a year away- but it always comes back). The only people who wouldn't find something to like are those with zero tolerance for Sci-Fi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow
I agree that Ghibli movies are often a great introduction to anime, but even then it helps to know a bit about the person. I love Whisper of the Heart, but I know many anime fans who find it boring because of its lack of action and massive amount of dialogue. I also love Totoro, but again I know plenty of people who find it too "kiddy". I can't disagree about Laputa or Spirited Away though, those are both solid choices that could appeal to just about anyone.

In years past when I had more time to show things to people I'd often pick El-Hazard or the first Tenchi Muyo OVA series as generic intros to anime. The original Oh My Goddess OVA as well. I think those are good choices because they give a taste of some of the things which are common to anime in general, but at the same time aren't so over-the-top that they might be a turnoff. I found them to be almost universally loved by anyone who saw them, regardless of their personal tastes. Another excellent choice, IMHO, is War in the Pocket. Yes, it is part of the immense Gundam franchise, but you don't need any prior knowledge to appreciate it, and it has a great story that is highly appealing even if you don't care about giant robots.

I personally don't think Cowboy Bebop is anything special but you're certainly right that it makes a great into to anime as well, simply because it's so accessible to Western fans. Justin had a great article on it not that long ago that really explains why it worked so well as an intro for many people.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
@Spastic Minnow
I agree that Ghibli movies are often a great introduction to anime, but even then it helps to know a bit about the person. I love Whisper of the Heart, but I know many anime fans who find it boring because of its lack of action and massive amount of dialogue. I also love Totoro, but again I know plenty of people who find it too "kiddy". I can't disagree about Laputa or Spirited Away though, those are both solid choices that could appeal to just about anyone.

Ah, I don't think you looked quite closely enough- those first recs are tailored to the tastes of the possible watcher because I agree they may not be as universally accessible to any ol new watcher.

I do love me my Tenchi but I wonder if its time has passed now. I can't quite imagine what the current reaction to old-school harem action comedies would be. Maybe something more modern but comparable like Noragami would be better. It's got comparable cultural barriers to overcome, but I think that "otherness" is a hook for new viewers. I know as a young man being introduced to "Shrines" and "bath houses" was intriguing to me, as someone previously ignorant of such things. Noragami as an introduction to Yokai could be effective. (Admittedly, I actually lost interest in the second series).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Ah, I don't think you looked quite closely enough- those first recs are tailored to the tastes of the possible watcher because I agree they may not be as universally accessible to any ol new watcher.

Yes, I saw that those were tailored recommendations. That was my purpose in mentioning them. They, being tailored recommendations, are no different than than my earlier post in the thread, and what everyone else seems to agree with too. Simply stating "Miyazaki movies" doesn't get us anywhere if we still have to tailor our suggestions. But the specific suggestions you had later with Laputa and Spirited Away I agree are great because their appeal is fairly universal.

Quote:
I do love me my Tenchi but I wonder if its time has passed now. I can't quite imagine what the current reaction to old-school harem action comedies would be. Maybe something more modern but comparable like Noragami would be better. It's got comparable cultural barriers to overcome, but I think that "otherness" is a hook for new viewers. I know as a young man being introduced to "Shrines" and "bath houses" was intriguing to me, as someone previously ignorant of such things. Noragami as an introduction to Yokai could be effective. (Admittedly, I actually lost interest in the second series).

You have a point about Tenchi being a bit dated, but I still think it does a great job representing a lot of what makes anime anime, while at the same time having rather broad appeal. I haven't seen Noragami, but I also thing you're onto something when you mention "otherness" being a hook. "Otherness" was certainly one of the main factors which got me interested in anime. It wasn't because I was deliberately rebelling or wanting to "be different", rather it was interesting and refreshing to see totally different perspectives, folklore, etc. I mentioned earlier that I personally don't care much for Cowboy Bebop. I suspect that it's lack of "otherness" is exactly why. On the other hand, things like Eastern mysticism, traditional Japanese folklore, Shinto and Buddhist stories and characters, etc, were fresh and interesting to me because I didn't know much about them, whereas I had read hundreds of books and watched dozens of movies based on classic Western folklore and tradition. In my opinion a good introductory anime needs to be accessible, but at the same time it shouldn't be too familar either, otherwise it doesn't really show what makes anime distinct from other types of media.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I also think it really depends on what the person might be into. I know that the term Gateway titles has been attached to a number of different shows of different genre, likely something that doesn't have the stuff exclusive to anime to get. Looking down what I think are easy to get into.

If one is into fantasy, the sort of thing you find in Hollywood movies, I think Rage of Bahamut could be a could transition Western fantasy to anime.

A horror fan could probably get into Ghost Hunt, it is not too strong in the anime school life thing and its trappings, and can be pretty spooky.

Something light was mentioned as something easy to get into, my particular thoughts along those lines may be Non Non Biyori, I think that it is generally one of the most chill anime, that has a good amount of feeling cozy, and light jokes without really anything really otaku like. Though perhaps not the very first, since it would require reading Japanese, and I imagine not everyone is into something so chill.

I wonder what consensus is on Space Dandy? This was a rare show that was released in English dub at the same time as Japanese, possibly not as dated as Cowboy Bebop, also with the western elements, and maybe so crazy with some of its plots that it might just work.

In terms of someone who may be an adult, with adult problems, I wonder if Aggretsuko might work. From the Sanrio company, the same one as Hello Kitty, it has some nice touches of what being an adult can be like, all with a cute animated design.

I am a little hesitant, but I can see that someone who is into magic, sort of like Harry Potter stuff, Little Witch Academia could be a good gateway. It has a very international setting, with things that western audiences could get, and I don't think any story beats require the knowledge of how anime works.

Kind of similar by name, I think that at this point My Hero Academia is an a lot better gateway show than the shounen of old (Naruto, Bleach and One Piece). I would say it is better paced, and super heroes have gotten big.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

In terms of someone who may be an adult, with adult problems, I wonder if Aggretsuko might work. From the Sanrio company, the same one as Hello Kitty, it has some nice touches of what being an adult can be like, all with a cute animated design.

Problem is that while it is widely appealing, it’s a very hard jumping off point, as it’s difficult to find similar titles to move on to. And beginners will almost always prefer dubs- that’s even more of a barrier.
I have friends of all stripes on Facebook who have posted about how much they enjoyed it, but not a one that has asked for other recommendations.
I could maybe see a Netflix viewer moving onto Saiki K., but then there’s a roadblock…. Especially with Netflix’s weird focus on bad-CGI sci-fi crime procedurals.
Maybe once they start showing Carole & Tuesday. I haven’t seen it yet but I think that might be a better bridge from Aggretsuko into a wider appreciation.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Maybe once they start showing Carole & Tuesday. I haven’t seen it yet but I think that might be a better bridge from Aggretsuko into a wider appreciation.

I wouldn't reach that conclusion about C&T so far.

My general first choice is to suggest a movie because they are much less of a commitment. My first entree to anime, at age 55 or so, was Princess Mononoke. I'd also suggest Summer Wars, Miss Hokusai, and Millennium Actress depending on the tastes of the viewer.

For people who like Western action shows, I recommend Black Lagoon. You can skip arcs you don't find all that interesting. (In general, the Nazi arc makes that list for me though the conversation between Rock and Revy in the submarine is a strong scene.) Baccano! has the advantage of an American setting, but the out-of-order storytelling and large cast makes it a bit daunting for a beginner.

Finally, I'll suggest Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") and Hataraku Saibou ("Cells at Work!"). The first is really long at 99 episodes, but it's a solid, straightforward story about Japanese guys training to be astronauts with JAXA and NASA. Full of stereotypes about America; some funny, some less so. The second is just a lot of fun and educational, too.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the answer(s) depend on why the person (or you if you're recommending) wants to watch anime. Perhaps the person desires to understand the actual animation processes or other industries. Although I haven't watched it, people say Shirobako is a good series for this and I'd also recommend Bakuman for some insight into the manga industry. This all really leads to personal preference.

However, to perhaps captivate an average Joe into breaking out of the stereotyped ideas of anime (probably not as true given how mainstream anime is nowadays and there doesn't seem to be as big of a stigma anymore), I recommend anything with heavy sakuga in it. I definitely suggest Robot Carnival as it very well animated. It'll help breaking down the notion that it's "just drawings." Maybe they'll understand it's more than just pictures.

As with many people, my first exposures to anime was through Saturday shows like Doraemon, Pokemon, Digimon, Megaman (Japanese name Rockman.exe), and whatever I forgot. It wasn't till high school that a friend recommended me to watch Code Geass that I realize there was more to anime than just kid's show. I loved Transformers growing up and being a huge robot fan, Code Geass became my gateway show. I find out there were different types of mecha anime and quickly consumed other genres. Show how complex plotlines can be and for that, I suggest shorter shows or animated movies that contain themes that aren't recommended for kids.
RoyFokker69

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
My list would be:

Yu Yu Hakusho
MSG 0083: Stardust Memory
Appleseed (1988 OVA)
Area 88 (newer series)
Gunsmith Cats
Golgo 13 Queen Bee
GitS SAC
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I would have a hard time recommending any long anime series as a gateway series. I would generally also want to stay away from anything dated, I really think something from the last decade at least is usually a better choice as well as tailoring it to the tastes of the viewers. After they become fans then of course it would be easy to stretch all over for shows to suggest.

Maybe because I am older and a female I have different tastes than many of you all here, and I have to agree that there are exceptions to those suggestions, the aforementioned Ghibli movies and Cowboy Bebop I think will always be popular.

I would probably pick something like Erased or The Promised Neverland to someone I knew wouldn't be into shonen anime.

Honestly, I'd try to stick with things that aren't too far out there at first if they were totally unfamiliar with anime, I wouldn't necessarily pick my favorites as I wouldn't want to hear they hated something I loved. I have a very wide range of shows I love, I watch in all different genres of anime, but I realize that isn't the case for most. Finding what they like best and choosing from those genres is probably best.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
Depends. What're they into? If you want a general answer, I think a Shounen Jump thing is a safe bet if they're actually interested in watching an anime, but if they're skeptical? Find an old OVA that seems up to their speed.

I'd recommend finding the closest anime equivalent to whatever western show or film they like.

Breaking Bad - Death Note
The Walking Dead - Attack on Titan
Game of Thrones - Fate/Zero
etc.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
It depends on what they like. If they are adults that never seen any anime or manga, showing Shonen stuff may not be a good idea since most Shonen stuff is aim towards kids and they may get the idea that all anime is for kids.

Here are some anime for adults who never seen any anime that they may enjoy.

Horror - Perfect Blue, Akira (This one is in a grey area of horror), and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Game of Thrones - Berserk
Detective Mysteries/Thrillers - Monster, Death Note, and Paranoia Agent
Sci-Fi lik Blade Runner - Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy and Psycho Pass
Action movies similar to John Wick - Golgo 13, Gunsmith Cats and Black Lagoon
Space Sci-Fi - Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Planetes, Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise, and Space Brothers
Historical Dramas - Grave of the Fireflies, Dagger of Kamui, and Barefoot Gen
Art House - Angel's Egg, The Night Is Short Walk on Girl, Paprika, and Serial Experiments Lain
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2