• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GeGeGe no Kitarō Anime Enters Final 'Nurarihyon Arc' on October 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dharlow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
I will miss this series. It has been a very fun ride.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. It has been consistently good and occasionally brilliant. For a show ostensibly aimed at children, it had strong adult appeal, as well.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Best anime that nobody is watching.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so the show is pretty close to ending. I’m going to guess that this arc will run for 20-26 episodes, making the show end with around 96-102 episodes.

danpmss wrote:

People in Japan are watching it.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
Kitaro has been the very first long-running anime I've followed weekly, and only the third I've watched at all. It's been a strong show and a pleasure to watch, so I hope it can end strongly.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Kiskaloo wrote:
Indeed. It has been consistently good and occasionally brilliant. For a show ostensibly aimed at children, it had strong adult appeal, as well.

One has to wonder how "aimed at children" Kitarou really is. Just recently we had an episode that began with a mother attempting suicide then coming back to wreak revenge on her enemies spoiler[and even her family] with a powerful yokai by her side. Just the sort of thing to entertain your average ten-year-old as she eats her natto at 9 am on Sunday mornings.

And, of course, the end of the Nanashi arc has to be one of the most soul-searing events in modern anime. spoiler[In the past few episodes everyone now talks openly about how Mana "killed" Neko-musume.]

Episode twenty earned my personal "Best Episode of 2018" award for its powerful criticism of how the Japanese educational system whitewashes the country's role in World War II. (Mana says, "I thought the Americans invaded Japan and we lost.") I wonder how many kids went to school the next day and asked to hear more about what actually happened. Even though this episode was written by the staff at Toei, it hewed closely to the anti-war and pro-environmental themes of Mizuki's work.

There have been a number of episodes like this throughout the series. They have made me wonder once again about what the Japanese consider appropriate material for children. In that regard they remind me of episode seven of Kemono no Sou-ja Erin.

danpmss wrote:

In Japan Kitarou routinely places in the top-ten with a viewership rating of about five. Some weeks it has outperformed One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1