• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wrong japanese titles for movies 5769 & 7483

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calros

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
From 2006, all movies starring Doraemon begin with "Eiga Doraemon..." (Doraemon movie).

So, the right titles are "Eiga Doraemon - Nobita no Kyoryu" (2006) and "Eiga Doraemon - Nobita no Shinmakai Daibôken - Shichinin no Mahôtsukai" (2007)

You can check this easily in Japanese in Allcinema, and also in the official site you linked, and in English in
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBE-52480
http://manu.interhost.hu/content/view/1205/56/
for example.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about it. CDJapan is known to transliterate Japanese title into romaji word by word, and this sometimes can cause problems. Furthermore, not just Doraemon but MANY anime movies have "eiga" or "gekijouban" in the front of the meaningful and identifiable title, often with a smaller font (and I take it as an indicator for not being part of the official title). If this rule applies to Doraemon then it has to be applied to all other anime movies as well, and you'll see a sudden increase of titles under "E" and "G," yet the time it takes to find the correct title one wants will increase significantly, for gathering all movies under two letters would be rather meaningless, not to mention that ANN already have the indicator displayed behind the title.

That's my personal point of view -- eliminate useless indicators. Everyone is encouraged to express their opinion, however, just like Wikipedia Japan debating whether to add "Doraemon - " in front of all Doraemon movies started with "Nobita" or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
I also think it would be meaningless to have the titles start with "eiga" or "gekijouban". We put the type of anime in parentheses at the end of the title, not at the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
Hmm.. imagine putting "The" in front of every single title that actually starts with "The" or "A". I think it falls under somewhat the same situation.

Though there are some titles that when added to a member's collection, it gets thrown to the "T" section of the list. For instance "The First King Adventure", "The Ring", "The Flowers of Deep Sleep" even if, when adding them, were searched under "F", "R", and "F" respectively.

"A Perfect Day For Love Letters" is searched under "P" but when you add the manga to the collection it gets brought up to the "A" section because of its "A" beginning word.

Was this the original intent?
calros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
MANY anime movies have "eiga" [...] in the front of the meaningful and identifiable title.

In all the History of Japanese Animation, only 13 films have "eiga" in the front. Source: Allcinema
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
calros wrote:
dormcat wrote:
MANY anime movies have "eiga" [...] in the front of the meaningful and identifiable title.

In all the History of Japanese Animation, only 13 films have "eiga" in the front. Source: Allcinema

I don't think it is a good habit to selectively omit parts of the sentence (or "gekijouban") while quoting others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
calros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
This was because my plea was about "eiga" and not "gekijouban".

I did not say nothing about "gekijouban".

Only 13 with "Eiga" in the front.
calros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I also think it would be meaningless to have the titles start with "eiga" or "gekijouban". We put the type of anime in parentheses at the end of the title, not at the beginning.

In this case why did you put this anime#5797 Confused
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
calros wrote:
Dan42 wrote:

In this case why did you put this anime#5797 Confused

We didn't put it intentionally; the submitter had it in the submission, and since it was not "wrong" we didn't wipe it out, nor had anyone else complained or reported.

If you have been visiting Japanese websites, you would have noticed that their L-shaped quotation marks often keep 映画 out, but in the case with Precure Max Heart even Toei themselves couldn't keep the format unified, as seen on their product page:

Quote:
話題のふたりはプリキュアMaxHeart2雪空のともだち映画第2弾のオリジナル・サウンドトラックが発売!!12月10日から上映の映画ふたりはプリキュアMaxHeart2雪空のともだちの為に、新たに書き下ろされた曲を収録したBGMや映画で使用される歌を映画サイズで収録。

Right now there are one with "eiga" and seven with "gekijouban." Should I remove them all, Dan?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if we should remove them, or should I add "eiga" and "gekijouban" to the list of words that get ignored in titles like "the" or "a". Right now I'm leaning toward removing that prefix altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
calros

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I'm not sure if we should remove them, or should I add "eiga" and "gekijouban" to the list of words that get ignored in titles like "the" or "a". Right now I'm leaning toward removing that prefix altogether.

BTW, if you add "the" and "a" to the ignored prefixes remember that you should also add "l'", "el", "la", "los", "las", "un", "una", "unos, "unas", "il", "I", "lo", "gli", "le", "une", "les", "das", "der", "ein", "die", etc.
calros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:48 am Reply with quote
I am happy because after 12 years you have recognized that I was right and you had to put "Eiga" in front of the titles of Doraemon's films.

Again, I am a man ahead of his time.

You are welcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1