• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Viz Media Announce Anime Distribution Deal for U.S., Canada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This is nice and all, but I am more interested on Viz starting to release Crunchyroll titles on BD some time next year. I really need physical releases for Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Laid-Back Camp.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I’m shocked to see the 90s Sailor Moon anime is now going to be on Crunchyroll. Does this mean the Hulu exclusive deal is over?
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One Punch Man Season 1 (English-subtitled only)

But...why? Is the dub tied up with Adult Swim of something?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I’m shocked to see the 90s Sailor Moon anime is now going to be on Crunchyroll. Does this mean the Hulu exclusive deal is over?

According to this list it is just one movie. Hulu might still have exclusivity on the tv series.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
You may also want to remind us, in the article, of the July news too.

Crunchyroll, Viz Media Partner for Home Video, Digital Distribution in N. America

Even though we haven't seen anything come from the physical media distribution yet. Have they been selling anything through EST yet? I don't know where I'd look.
Maybe they HAVE to release the shows they had during the Funimation partnership through Funimation? Or is it just part of it?
Don't they have any post November 2018 shows to publish through Viz?

In any case, definitely getting cozy. I wouldn't be surprised to see AT&T/Warner/Otter Media/Crunchyroll try a controlling buy-out of Viz in North America. Or Vice Versa - Viz becomes the blanket name instead of Crunchyroll.
Actually, Warner is already the distributor for Viz. It seems like the consolidation is already close to complete.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how this deal also effects Crunchyroll's relationship with Sentai.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru no go!! So happy this under watched series is going onto crunchyroll where it might finally get some love! If they did a complete series release, that would greatly please me, too!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Cross Game will eventually make it over.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means Viz can actually release Kuroko's Basketball over here. That series has been without a release for several years now. It has gone on LONG enough.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I just want Konosuba on bluray already. Also Viz needs to do something about streaming Stardust Crusaders dub. I feel like by the time they finally stream the Part 3 dub, Adult Swim will stop streaming the Part 4 dub, and then it’ll be this whole situation all over again.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I really need physical releases for Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Laid-Back Camp.

Don't forget Place Further Than The Universe, too!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY, been waiting a long time to see something like this happen, especially as I see Canada is mentioned. While I'm in the US, not Canada, I always hated seeing VIZ essentially fudge over Canadians as their stuff was Hulu-exclusive. When Neon Alley happened, that helped, but then when that went away, Canadians got screwed over again. Glad to see things finally change for them. Also this further is good news as Hulu became subscriber-only 3 years ago, and the free version of Hulu, Yahoo! View shut down in late June. There's the embeds on VIZ's site, but how many people even know about that? This is going to help a lot.
Megiddo wrote:
Hopefully Cross Game will eventually make it over.
VIZ's license for that expired ages ago, they stopped streaming that like 5 years ago.
curtisd88 wrote:
I hope this means Viz can actually release Kuroko's Basketball over here. That series has been without a release for several years now. It has gone on LONG enough.
VIZ has only the manga, Crunchyroll likely does not have home video rights to the series, otherwise we'd have likely seen something through the Discotek and FUNimation partnerships, granted a few titles with dubs didn't get distributed (Masamune-kun's Revenge, Konosuba).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
I really need physical releases for Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju and Laid-Back Camp.

Don't forget Place Further Than The Universe, too!

Yes! I need all three of these. I would also like to have a copy of Please Tell Me, Galko-Chan!

Last edited by Punch Drunk Marc on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Sailor Moon on Crunchyroll! Very Happy
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
If that list is complete, three Naruto films are missing; the first two Shippuden entries and Boruto the Movie. Weird exclusions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2