• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds Dragon Quest Your Story CG Anime Film on February 13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 pm Reply with quote
First NinoKuni that release as of today and now in just less than a month we getting DragonQuest.. this is already starting to be an awesome year.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Based on on spoilers from Japanese audiences, don't be hyped.
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big Dragon Quest fan and no I will not watch something this ugly. This is just a heavy insult to take the franchise.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was somewhat fast. The Netflix anime library is the weirdest thing ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Sota-Son wrote:
I'm a big Dragon Quest fan and no I will not watch something this ugly. This is just a heavy insult to take the franchise.

No the lazy ass remasters they dropped on the Switch are insults to the franchise this is nowhere near as bad or ugly.

AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

These are the same people who shit on one of the games because it had the temerity to allow you to see monsters on the field.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sota-Son wrote:

No the lazy ass remasters they dropped on the Switch are insults to the franchise this is nowhere near as bad or ugly.

AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

These are the same people who shit on one of the games because it had the temerity to allow you to see monsters on the field.

This guy knows what’s up. Seriously the only two things I hear wrong about this film is “Wahh the characters don’t look like Toriyama!” and “Wahh! Stupid weird ending!” (I don’t know much myself) The former is just obstinate “I hate it because it’s new” whining. The latter is a fair complaint but there’s no reason the rest of the film can’t be enjoyable.

Another thing I heard is that people weren’t crazy for the live action actors doing the roles instead of experienced voice actors. This is a fair complaint that I’m sure will better in an English dub.

I’m really eager to see who they get for the dub. Apparently there’s a SAG Aftra listing indicating NYAV Post doing it?
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:28 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sota-Son wrote:

Thanks for your opinion but this new one is even worse. Anyway I won't watch it.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
That quote pyramid spat I just deleted was pointless and silly. Come on, guys.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Sota-Son wrote:

Thanks for your opinion but this new one is even worse. Anyway I won't watch it.

It's not so much an opinion as it's fact like I get people don't like CG because it's not traditional hand drawn animation but like it's no where as bad visually as people love to go on and on about. Like I could see taking the movie to task for trying to fit a 20-30 hour video game into a barely two hour movie or the gigantic feet they gave most of the cast but really.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Do you have an internationally known IP? Did you adapt it into a theatrical film that flopped at the domestic box office? Netflix is buying!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1