• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Phantom Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Just missed where nintendo announced a port for the original 1989 fire emblem finally coming to the states. Looks nice actually.
Crpt774

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Just missed where nintendo announced a port for the original 1989 fire emblem finally coming to the states. Looks nice actually.

You missed the part where its a limited time digital release. Again.
Not full price this time, but still not good.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
this isn't about the Phantom Dust remake that's been in development hell forever

You'll be waiting forever for that remake, Heidi, since it was cancelled a long while ago. In place of it, we got the excellent free-to-play remaster by Code Mystics in 2017, which holds up more then enough today. I finally played through it earlier this year, and while I'd love to see a remake happen one day, I'm more than happy with the remaster.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Crpt774 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

That doesnt make it inherently bad either. I get the argument for limited digital availability but that shouldn't take anything away from how great this is. This is still a great offering and the physical limited edition looks fantastic. If this doesnt get supported due to people not liking the limited availability nintendo might just choose to not do Mother 3 and others like alot of people are hoping for now that more precedence has been set for old game revivals.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Crpt774 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

That doesnt make it inherently bad either. I get the argument for limited digital availability but that shouldn't take anything away from how great this is. This is still a great offering and the physical limited edition looks fantastic. If this doesnt get supported due to people not liking the limited availability nintendo might just choose to not do Mother 3 and others like alot of people are hoping for now that more precedence has been set for old game revivals.

Yes, a limited-time digital release is an inherently bad thing. It's a pointless attempt at artificial scarcity that benefits no one.
The idea that these anniversary releases succeeding would lead to an official English release of Mother 3 is hardly plausible. This is hardly Nintendo's first foray into re-releases and remasters, and they've never shown any interest reviving GBA titles, let alone in a comprehensive way. With the exception of a few Mario and Zelda remakes (the former mostly limited time and the latter limited to the WiiU and 3DS), their releases of older titles are more stuck on the NES and SNES than they were on the Wii, if anything.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Crpt774 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Yes, a limited-time digital release is an inherently bad thing. It's a pointless attempt at artificial scarcity that benefits no one.
The idea that these anniversary releases succeeding would lead to an official English release of Mother 3 is hardly plausible. This is hardly Nintendo's first foray into re-releases and remasters, and they've never shown any interest reviving GBA titles, let alone in a comprehensive way. With the exception of a few Mario and Zelda remakes (the former mostly limited time and the latter limited to the WiiU and 3DS), their releases of older titles are more stuck on the NES and SNES than they were on the Wii, if anything.

I disagree but keep on thinking that supporting something wont lead to other releases. I see the argument for limited time digital but again that doesnt inherently make this release completely bad.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I never knew that Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds was a spinoff. It was my only exposure to the series before now.

Interesting to see the series get another installment, but I can't be a little disappointed that it isn't another beat-em-up. We get far fewer of those than one-on-one fighters.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
OtherSideofSky wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Crpt774 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

I disagree but keep on thinking that supporting something wont lead to other releases. I see the argument for limited time digital but again that doesnt inherently make this release completely bad.

No one here said "this release is completely bad." I said that the practice of releasing a digital product for an unnecessarily limited time is inherently bad, and I stand by that position. I'm sure the game itself will be fine for the people who are able to get it, and the physical release (which just comes with a download code, so it's really more an anniversary artbook with the game as an extra) definitely looks like something long-time fans of the series will want. That doesn't change the fact that limited digital releases are a terrible precedent that I sincerely hope will not become a trend.

The idea that I think "supporting something will not lead to other releases" is a risible straw man. If your argument was "if this succeeds, we might get official releases of other old Fire Emblem games," you might be correct. I still wouldn't be too sure of that; the way these limited releases are presented as anniversary items makes me dubious that Nintendo is testing the waters for a big line of releases like this (although I wouldn't be shocked if they have one or two more in the works for release in the same time frame). Fire Emblem is also a series whose profile has risen dramatically as a result of recent entries. The idea that the success of an NES Fire Emblem port would directly inspire the release of a cult-classic GBA game from a series that hasn't had a new entry in 14 years and whose latest release was a Wii U port of a NES game 5 years ago is a pipe dream. It's especially unlikely given that there's been no sign of Nintendo porting anything off the GBA since the Wii U virtual console (I sincerely doubt they would lead with a game whose fanbase can only have shrunk over the years as it ceased to be current).

People have been speculating that some announcement or release or trend will lead to an official localization of Mother 3 for longer than my entire adult life, and the prospect is only ever growing more remote. Jumping to it as an example is as sure a sign of something that won't happen as a Smash Bros. "leak" with Geno on it.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

The snark is completely baseless. Why would supporting one IP push for the release of a completely unrelated separate IP? Fire Emblem's being targeted because of how well it's been doing recently and 3 Houses is still arguably a talking point. Where's this boom of the Mother/Earthbound franchise that Nintendo marketing can take to their board?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Yeah, though I'm more confused as to why they didn't just put it on the NES Online. Also neat how they put in the extra effort to add save states and rewinds to lessen the frustration. Hopefully this leads to other Japan-only titles like Genealogy of the Holy War coming over
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Rimi from Chaos;Head is also in the game as well
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Eir Aoi opening? I'm buying, regardless of the game.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Yeah, though I'm more confused as to why they didn't just put it on the NES Online. Also neat how they put in the extra effort to add save states and rewinds to lessen the frustration. Hopefully this leads to other Japan-only titles like Genealogy of the Holy War coming over

Because those very in-game additions make it obvious that this isn't a simple translation of the original game, like what M2 did with Monster World IV or Trials of Mana. This is effectively a remake (or, at the very least, and enhanced port) of Fire Emblem, though with all of the original visuals & music maintained, with the save states, speed options, & rewind function built in, rather than be part of an emulator, like they were for M2's translations.

NES/SNES Online is nothing more than the original game roms played on a Nintendo-produced emulator, & the original Japanese release of Fire Emblem is actually already available on the Famicom Online service in Japan, while what we're getting is obviously more than just that.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Nintendo's had 14 years to localize this game at this rate it'll be as old as the first Mother game was when it got localized and that's if they consider doing it by that point.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Breaker will probably end up as a mediocre fighter, but they sure did secure a top tier anime voice cast. I guess all these actors getting limited studio work thanks to the pandemic is working to their advantage.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2