• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Remove Love Live! School Idol Project Season 2, 5 centimeters per second, Voice

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Does seem kind of crazy that the first and most popular iteration of Love Live will no longer stream anywhere. I wonder if Funimation will snap it up if/when NIS America’s license expires.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Won't be surprised if CR may remove Aniplex animes in the nearly future. CR is really going downhill nowadays.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Won't be surprised if CR may remove Aniplex animes in the nearly future. CR is really going downhill nowadays.

Why would Crunchyroll remove Aniplex stuff? They're owned by the same company now. These losses specifically all seem to be unrelated to what Crunchyroll wants. Like, Shinkai's a pretty big deal now, so the chances that someone else is going after the movie licenses is pretty high, Ultraman is in the hands of Mill Creek and Shout Factory and Love Live was a NIS America sublicense and that company has given up on anime, pretty much.

For Aniplex, Crunchyroll and Funimation are the most convenient ways they have to stream anime in North America because they all have the same parent company, so arbitrarily yanking the streaming license makes absolutely no sense.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Does seem kind of crazy that the first and most popular iteration of Love Live will no longer stream anywhere. I wonder if Funimation will snap it up if/when NIS America’s license expires.

Agreed. It does seem rather odd. Makes me wonder when NIS's license expires.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Zendervai wrote:
For Aniplex, Crunchyroll and Funimation are the most convenient ways they have to stream anime in North America because they all have the same parent company, so arbitrarily yanking the streaming license makes absolutely no sense.

Yup.

And that's assuming the licenses were "yanked", as opposed to "not renewed" by one party of the other. (I kinda doubt any licensor has the ability to unilaterally "yank" a license anyhow.)

We don't know if Crunchy simply let licenses lapse as they're not offering sufficient return on investment... Or if Aniplex asked for too much... Or if they were unable to reach complete agreement... Etc... Etc...
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is Slowly being swept under the rug for Funimation in a few years funi will be the main streaming service and crunchyroll will die out . It really sucks cus cru crunchyroll has the better site/apps and actually has some kind of customer service . Funimation has gone full corporate they only respond with template emails and don’t ever do anything to fix any of there problems ex: the subtitle background on ps5
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
Crunchyroll is Slowly being swept under the rug for Funimation in a few years funi will be the main streaming service and crunchyroll will die out . It really sucks cus cru crunchyroll has the better site/apps and actually has some kind of customer service . Funimation has gone full corporate they only respond with template emails and don’t ever do anything to fix any of there problems ex: the subtitle background on ps5

Crunchyroll's app works terribly on my Shield TV. Funimation's isn't anything too write home about, but at least it doesn't randomly freeze or crash. I do hate the subtitle background though.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:

Not defending CR here but nope that ain’t happening at least from what I’m seeing now.

CR somehow continues grow and got 4 million subs despite the massive advantage Funi has had in the past two years. Why hasn’t Funi touted any numbers or achievements like CR? My educated guess is that CR subs still outnumber Funi/Wakanim/Madman. If CR continues to grow even more it would be a terrible business decision for Sony to shut down CR and lose all those gains CR accumulated.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Sucks that these ultraman shows are leaving, but at least you can still 4 of them (Ginga, X, Orb, and Geed) through other places like MIll Creek, Shout Factory, and Tubi. Gaia and Nexus though? You might wanna binge both before March 31 or wait until Mill Creek gives them an physical release.
zero-r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
Ozzy4k wrote:

Not defending CR here but nope that ain’t happening at least from what I’m seeing now.

CR somehow continues grow and got 4 million subs despite the massive advantage Funi has had in the past two years. Why hasn’t Funi touted any numbers or achievements like CR? My educated guess is that CR subs still outnumber Funi/Wakanim/Madman. If CR continues to grow even more it would be a terrible business decision for Sony to shut down CR and lose all those gains CR accumulated.

No one is shutting anything.... they will merge into one and that's all (I bet you will able to access both Funi and CR using your password when the merge is completed, just like Amazon and comiXology when that merger happened). And with time they will probably, create a single app and website where all series live (just like HBO Max)...
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
Funimation has gone full corporate they only respond with template emails and don’t ever do anything to fix any of there problems ex: the subtitle background on ps5

Removing the subtitle background is fairly easy - if you can't get support for such an easy fix then their support must've really went down the toilet. Anyway, the way to change the subtitle background is to go to PlayStation settings > Accessibility > Closed Captions > Closed Captions Settings and then set the background opacity to 0%.

Quote:
Crunchyroll is Slowly being swept under the rug for Funimation in a few years funi will be the main streaming service and crunchyroll will die out

Like paulchaested mentioned - CR has strong subscriber numbers and in doing so has placed itself as one of the leading companies for anime in North America (and other large parts of the world).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I've got a lot to catch up on.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Zendervai wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Why would Crunchyroll remove Aniplex stuff? They're owned by the same company now. These losses specifically all seem to be unrelated to what Crunchyroll wants. Like, Shinkai's a pretty big deal now, so the chances that someone else is going after the movie licenses is pretty high, Ultraman is in the hands of Mill Creek and Shout Factory and Love Live was a NIS America sublicense and that company has given up on anime, pretty much.

That sale hasn't been finalised yet and even if it does Aniplex has to find the best deals so that it's profit sharing with other committee members is fair and neither Crunchyroll or Funimation may wish to use their budgets to pay what other entities might.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I do not want Funimation to merge with Crunchyroll, after what I've read what's gone on behind the scenes, they're pretty much the Channel Awesome of anime dubbing companies/streaming services.
Purple Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see Netflix getting the license for this series, so they would dub it in various other languages than English, like they did with Tiger & Bunny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2