• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon 2021 In-Person Event Reaches Total Attendance of Over 25,000

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
If I knew going in that that many people would be there, I might not have gone. I was expecting a 2015-style dip. I have friends, in fact, who bugged out in light of the Delta variant.

That being said, aside from the lack of a cap or distancing, Otakon and WEWCC took a number of steps to make members feel safer. I appreciate that.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
social distancing has not proven to be an effective measure as well as all the handwashing, its more to trick people into feeling comfortable.

hope the contact tracers are ready and we get adequate reporting on how many cases were linked to this event as we have in numerous other events.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
If I knew going in that that many people would be there, I might not have gone. I was expecting a 2015-style dip. I have friends, in fact, who bugged out in light of the Delta variant.

I bugged out in light of the Delta variant.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Did I make the right call waiting for anime nyc
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's one I would have skipped, even if it was last moment.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Sees anti vaxxers spreading Delta when we were nearly back to normal
https://youtu.be/HEb1jZErYeE
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say that's not bad at all for turnstile attendance but oof, that's unique.

Yikes. Guess I'll be looking at DC's increase of cases in the next 2-4 weeks. Looks like they just had their 2nd highest new amount of cases reported yesterday.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I was about to say that's not bad at all for turnstile attendance but oof, that's unique.

Yikes. Guess I'll be looking at DC's increase of cases in the next 2-4 weeks. Looks like they just had their 2nd highest new amount of cases reported yesterday.

The 7-day average of deaths for DC is currently 0 and they've vaccinated 73% of eligible people. Americans have lost their minds.
Taichi_EX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I went to Otakon on Friday and Saturday. The convention had a great turn out in terms of people. Attendees wore their masks and were compliant with the guidelines the convention enforced. I see this as a successful return to anime/comic conventions.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
charliepanayi wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

The 7-day average of deaths for DC is currently 0 and they've vaccinated 73% of eligible people. Americans have lost their minds.

I'm literally looking at the stats (and writing about them) right now:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

A little over half of DC population is vaccinated. In the last two weeks the nation's capital has experienced a 138% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 33% increase in hospitalizations. Monday saw the area's largest spike in new cases in months with a total of 486. The district is considered a very high risk for anyone who is unvaccinated.

Yes, deaths in seven days is currently zero but: "The trend in deaths tends to lag weeks behind the trend in reported cases."

We won't likely know if there is an increase in deaths in relation to the current spike for a few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Aresef wrote:

I bugged out in light of the Delta variant.

Yeah, likewise. And no regret about doing so given the attendance numbers. Disappointed that Awesomecon's also looking like a no-go.

Kind've depressing that the vaccination rate's slowed down so much with not even 2/3 of the population having gotten their first dose yet. Medical science can produce literal life-saving miracles, and huge parts of society somehow manage to treat them like snake oil. Evil or Very Mad
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I'm literally looking at the stats (and writing about them) right now:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

A little over half of DC population is vaccinated. In the last two weeks the nation's capital has experienced a 138% increase in COVID-19 cases and a 33% increase in hospitalizations. Monday saw the area's largest spike in new cases in months with a total of 486. The district is considered a very high risk for anyone who is unvaccinated.

Yes, deaths in seven days is currently zero but: "The trend in deaths tends to lag weeks behind the trend in reported cases."

We won't likely know if there is an increase in deaths in relation to the current spike for a few weeks.

Even if deaths don't stay at zero it still doesn't justify the endless restrictions/panic etc - it's one of the most vaccinated parts of the US (and sooner or later you will hit a ceiling for how many will get vaccinated, not to mention kids who don't have serious health issues don't need to be vaccinated anyway), people have had months to get the vaccines, what's the off-ramp here and the timetable for a return to normality? Covid isn't getting eradicated and you won't be able to vaccinate everyone.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
charliepanayi wrote:

Even if deaths don't stay at zero it still doesn't justify the endless restrictions/panic etc - it's one of the most vaccinated parts of the US (and sooner or later you will hit a ceiling for how many will get vaccinated, not to mention kids who don't have serious health issues don't need to be vaccinated anyway)

Washington DC is currently ranked #13 out of 51, for the record. Your claim about children though, is no longer accurate. There was a time before the variants began to appear in the population where that appeared to be true. Delta and other variants are showing that to no longer to be the case, with children becoming susceptible to the illness and currently no vaccine. Issues have included prolonged respiratory issues, neurological issues, and more.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/What-we-know-about-the-delta-variant-kids-and-16375835.php

This reason in particular is why San Francisco is mandating (finally) that teachers and school staff get the vaccines.

charliepanayi wrote:
People have had months to get the vaccines, what's the off-ramp here and the timetable for a return to normality? Covid isn't getting eradicated and you won't be able to vaccinate everyone.

In my personal opinion? Mandates for healthcare, food service, and education sector employees and a pediatric vaccine requirement for school enrollment. I don't have any personal sympathy for those who are simply refusing to get vaccinated and/or refusing to wear a mask. I hold them primarily responsible for the situation as we currently see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
School starts for some students next week lest people forget little kids can't get the vaccine. Also Delta is way more contagious. I dunno if Ota was safe but it's not even close to over hell there is a non zero chance we will need boosters
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
charliepanayi wrote:

Even if deaths don't stay at zero it still doesn't justify the endless restrictions/panic etc - it's one of the most vaccinated parts of the US (and sooner or later you will hit a ceiling for how many will get vaccinated, not to mention kids who don't have serious health issues don't need to be vaccinated anyway), people have had months to get the vaccines, what's the off-ramp here and the timetable for a return to normality? Covid isn't getting eradicated and you won't be able to vaccinate everyone.

Your questions are easy to answer: the off-ramp is for more people (not everyone of course, but a lot more people) to get vaccinated and the timetable is whenever that happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3