• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Salaryman's Club (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Salaryman's Club (TV)

Genres: drama, sports
Themes: badminton

Plot Summary: Mikoto Shiratori is a childhood prodigy at badminton, but who never recovered from a major loss during a high school competition. Now, he works in the sales department of the Sunlight Beverage company, playing badminton on the side.

Jan. 29, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

Am always up for more sports anime. Great looking cast, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:22 am Reply with quote
1-3

This is shaping up to be one of the better sports anime I've seen in quite a while. Decent to amazing animation (can't all be as dynamic as the premier, but they've still thrown in some treats), engaging characters from the MC and across the board, easy-on-the-eyes character designs (including the rival teams), educational bits about product marketing and badminton, and some not-too-emo drama leavened with character-driven comedy.

I really am enjoying all the great personalities among the cast, even sulky Mikoto (who is an aggressive yet hilarious drunk). I particularly like how Tatsuru handles his grumpiness by simply ignoring it or coming back with his mellow and relentless good cheer (he would just make the best forum mod ever! Laughing). Even when he's being more somber sempai, he's got a really nice vibe. He's someone you'd feel relaxed spending time with.

And Shinichiro Miki seems to be enjoying the hell out of the role. He actually even looked a bit like him, in his younger, blonder days.

. .

Did I interpret that last scene in the premier as saying that Tatsuru is the one who got Mikoto interested in badminton?? Why doesn't he remember this (unclear if Tatsu does or not)? How could he forget Badaryman?!

So far my only disappointment is regarding anime's obsession with balls spinning like a top whenever they hit any sort of netting, even racket strings. Any balls - baseballs, soccer/futsal balls, ping pong balls, tennis balls, volleyballs - they hit a net and somehow their high velocity gyroscopic spin negates gravity. Apparently even shuttlecocks now possess this magical property. :sigh:
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Souta is shaping up to be an interesting guy, which I hadn't expected. No wonder he plays singles.

I'm kinda confused about Tachibana's attitude. Does he blame Mikoto for the accident? Since he's apparently able to play now, why would he still be holding a grudge? If he's not, I'd think he would've let Mikoto know that he was able to play again long before now. Is he mad that Mikoto blames himself?? Maybe this will become clearer soon, but right now I'm baffled.

So I guess it's going to be apple/winter scallion soda now, huh. Very Happy Yum! /s
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm kinda confused about Tachibana's attitude. Does he blame Mikoto for the accident?

From the scene with the flowers at the hospital, I suspect Tachibana felt abandoned by his one-time friend and partner.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Bicep? All this time I assumed Tachibana had injured his knee! I guess, what, he fell awkwardly on his arm? I wish they'd have shown us the whole thing (probably too late now) because I still can't figure out how the racket got dented when it looked like the only impact was the hip check. I'm not even sure whose racket that was. But I'm glad they at least clarified what his issue was.

I guess business teams are different from high school. I think this is the first time I've seen opposing teams go out to celebrate one team's victory together. So Mikoto can be a sloppy drunk as well as an aggressive one. In vino veritas, indeed. And I really love Tonozaki. I hope we get to see more of him.

Wonder what's up with the new unnamed (?) guy.

I really hope they don't save until the end of the series the explanation of how the hell Mikoto could have forgotten that Tatsuru taught him how to play! That's making me crazy.

This series is just so good. If you're not watching, you should be. But if you're not watching, I guess you're not reading this either, so...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
5Bicep? All this time I assumed Tachibana had injured his knee! I guess, what, he fell awkwardly on his arm? I wish they'd have shown us the whole thing (probably too late now) because I still can't figure out how the racket got dented when it looked like the only impact was the hip check. I'm not even sure whose racket that was. But I'm glad they at least clarified what his issue was.

I thought that it was pretty apparent throughout several episodes that he injured his arm since they always showed him holding his arm while he was lying on the floor. This episode also seemed to indicate that he was already having problems with his arm and the fall during the match made it worse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote

Oh, OH, NOOO!!! That opening teaser! Aahh!! I felt that so hard. Anime exclamation Crying or Very sad Anime hyper

The whole day I was cringing, thinking about how he could be restoring the presentation if he only knew it was gone. But they did a great job of getting it to turn out ok, in a believable way, even with needle-nose exec throwing up roadblocks. Koki really saved the day. Whew.

Ok, I'm so embarrassed. The "unnamed new guy" I mentioned last week is of course Mr. QC himself, Toru Usuyama. I didn't recognize him in his civvies. Embarassed Also, I didn't realize that Souta was also in QC. I think I thought he and Toru were the same person, because they look alike except for their haircut and Toru has that thousand yard stare, where Souta is a bit more alive (i.e., he's got pupils in his eyes Smile). I expect he'll be joining the team soon (and will probably gain some pupils out of it).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
Do the Japanese use some kind of brain-dead office software that doesn't automatically back up documents every few minutes? I use LibreOffice which does this, and I believe Microsoft Office does as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1