• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New BASTARD!! -Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy- Anime Reveals Ending Song, New Visual

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Tielle is a nice pick. I don't have a problem with that.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:15 am Reply with quote
No word on the dub cast, but I doubt Netflix got Daran Norris to do the voice of Schneider again, given he’s probably busy with whatever Fairly Oddparents spin-off Nick is making.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:39 am Reply with quote
Really wish the manga could get rescued in English.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Preach. I hope the anime does well to attract more people to wanting to read the manga. I feel like it would do even better now, just needs another chance.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Preach. I hope the anime does well to attract more people to wanting to read the manga. I feel like it would do even better now, just needs another chance.

I'd friggin' LOVE that. I hardcore neeeeed my volume twenty. [shakes fist in Viz's general direction]
Charou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I've resigned myself to this being a pretty standard affair, since it's LIDEN and I wasn't blown away by the directing of Goblin Slayer. Takanashi is an incredibly flexible composer but he's no Tanaka Kouhei either.

But we have to remember the OVA wasn't anything amazing either. It had its moments but ultimately it was a 'now go read the manga' ad with some unforgettable voicework.

So, I think this time around it'll be a similar deal (although hopefully not so blatant an ad for a manga we couldn't even read at the time): it's down to the seiyuu.

Quietly stacked cast there:

Sugita will probably tap his diabolic Fate/Go role for Abigail;

Hikasa is a fine successor to Sakuma Rei as Raitei Arshes Nei;

Koyasu is Koyasu, just as Chiba is Chiba -- I'd have preferred Hiyama Nobuyuki for that Dai-Amon screech but there's no denying Koyasu has the chops to make the role his own;

Tsugutsugu for Lars? PERFECT. I expect a much larger role for him here than the OVA;

Same with Itou Shizuka for Kai Harn;

Yasumoto is pretty close to a modern-day Gendo Tessha, so his Gara will be fine;

and

Kensho Ono for Kall-Su...hm. Pretty different to Seki Toshihiko. We'll see. Fun to see a Jojo and Dio in the mix though.

Who have I missed it...oh.

Literally the only question mark I have left is can Taniyama fill Yao Kazuki's very big, very brash, very dirty, very sexy, very cool shoes? IMO Bastard lives and dies on Dark-Schneider. If he can't scream silly crap like 'Megadeath!', 'Venom' and 'Halloween!' and make us fully believe it's the most important line to a spell that can level castles, melt flesh and obliterate kingdoms, all while looking like a crazy cross between Gene Simmons, Billy Ray Cyrus and Mad Max, it's game over.

It really is interesting how similar this whole thing is to the Blade of the Immortal remake. Both have the same: studio, crappy original anime with huge seiyuu, reputation for gore, unusual format (western streaming service ONA), anti-hero OP lead character completely beholden to a naïve female companion, and a new seiyuu for the lead very different to the original. Tsuda IS Manji for me (all kudos to the legendary Seki Tomokazu but he was bland mush in the original Blade of the Immortal) but man, Kazuki's a tough act to follow...
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Charou wrote:
Literally the only question mark I have left is can Taniyama fill Yao Kazuki's very big, very brash, very dirty, very sexy, very cool shoes? IMO Bastard lives and dies on Dark-Schneider. [...] but man, Kazuki's a tough act to follow...

That's a major point I've mentioned to friends who know this series is my favorite guilty pleasure. Living up to an original is always a concern in any production. I'm cautiously hoping for the best, since the sound bytes I've heard in the trailer seem to have promise, but we'll just have to see.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:13 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
No word on the dub cast, but I doubt Netflix got Daran Norris to do the voice of Schneider again, given he’s probably busy with whatever Fairly Oddparents spin-off Nick is making.

Uhm, Tiger & Bunny 2.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:05 am Reply with quote
Right, he was in that. I guess there is a chance then. It’s still weird when you see someone become a definitive voice for a long runner and have them appear in dubbing after the fact. I mean it’s weird to see before the fact too, but it’s easier to explain as it being the start of their careers and just wanting the work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1