• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dropkick on My Devil! Season 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:13 am Reply with quote
I didn't laugh once while watching this entire first season. I'm constantly shocked by the amount of seasons it has received.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed this "violent moe" show. It is a mean-spirited comedy, yes, but one I think that hits just right, or outlandish enough to be enjoyable.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I didn't laugh once while watching this entire first season. I'm constantly shocked by the amount of seasons it has received.

It's called different people have different tastes. There must be enough people that buy and enjoy the series to warrant more seasons.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first 2 seasons (is the 3rd out yet?) but for different reasons. At the time I was in the mood for a "mean spirited" show and that does not happen often mind you. The second season was very wholesome compared to the first and while still crass at times I would say they dropped the bullying parts by at least 70% and can recommend the second season for those who were put off by the first.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:57 am Reply with quote
Omg, I absolutely love Drop Kick. It is so hilarious and Jashin-chan is so funny and one of my favorite characters. I am so happy that we are getting a third season. Jashin-chan is what makes the anime for me along with all the other cast. Pekola is also one of my favorites, she and her hard luck stories is the best. Looking forward to season three and all the shenanigans of Drop Kick
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:44 am Reply with quote
This is one of those "I don't understand this industry" show. It's not awful, I chuckled a few times watching it, but isn't anything special either. But not only did it get an S2 its getting an S3 now. Out of the hundreads of show that are release every year and they die out, this gets 2 sequel. Go figure.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:17 pm Reply with quote
For me, season one was funny but a bit too nasty. And too hard on Pekola; I really didn't like how she got treated. I didn't watch s2 because of all that, but I might now that I hear that it is not so nasty. So for s3, who knows?

As for the show's success, maybe we non-Japanese don't understand the fandom there as well as we might. Or would want to, if we found out.

Or maybe it is really cheap to make and the money guys are just happy with their return on it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:13 am Reply with quote
Gotta totally disagree with ya'll-I found the show to be funny as shit and after 2 seasons am really looking forward to season 3.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:06 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Gotta totally disagree with ya'll-I found the show to be funny as shit and after 2 seasons am really looking forward to season 3.

I’m one of the people that also enjoys this series and is looking forward to season 3. I enjoyed the series enough that I even bought the Nendoroid figure of Jashin-chan!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This show is basically of the same genre as Jahy-sama will not be Defeated, Gabriel Drop-out, and the Demon Girl Next Door.

Released around the same time, they are these "moe comedies with fallen angels and demons on earth". I particularly love the genre but I admit that out of these four shows, I think Jashin-chan is the weakest, but still good enough to watch.

I think most of the dislike this show receives is from the fact the show is highly stylized so people who dislike it tend to think of these characters as literal people, of the sort like "this show is bad to poor Pekola" when, in fact, these characters represent types of situation that people find themselves in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1