• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo 3DS Sells 215,000 in Week After Price Drop

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Even though I've been gaming for a long time, I am quite curious why the price of this system (which initially was from what I remember in the $249, slightly more in certain stores) to now $165.

I am guessing the initial rush of having a 3D video game system might be wearing off and Nintendo is simply adjusting the price to make it more affordable now.

But with Wii 2 coming out sometime this year, I think it's fair to say Nintendo is shifting more attention to that system now, but still paying attention to the 3DS.

Truth be told, even though I am not really into 3D, it does have some pretty great games for the system. Legend of Zelda being the first to mind. I had a brief chance to play Legend of Zelda 3DS version and it certainly is cool.

Too bad about the battery though with the 3DS. If Nintendo were to used a battery with a much higher mAh number, it actually make the overall system significantly better. But considering the 3DS aspect of it, it may not have been financially feasible.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
3DS wasn't selling up to expectations, and thus they lowered the price.

Also, Wii U isn't being released this year anywhere.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Seriously? Wow, here I thought the system was doing well as every time I walked into Game stop/ store similar to it, for a while, it seemed like the system was flying off the shelf. Learn something new every day I suppose.

Also, I thought I heard somewhere that the Wii U was going to be on the market either in late November or December this year. But I could have been thinking of the new Legend Of Zelda game though, that or another game in mind.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote
when it was first released, alot of them sold.
then people got really pissy when they realized there were no actual good games to play and sales dropped significantly.

this is just my opinion, but when the new PSP for 99$ comes out sales for the 3ds might die again, at least for a short time.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that the price drop is shifting units (although Nintendo is now taking a loss on every 3DS sold) but the reasons it wasn't doing well haven't gone away. Even with some good first party games coming out before the end of the year the lineup is still pretty slim.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
...but when the new PSP for 99$ comes out sales for the 3ds might die again, at least for a short time.

I don't know where you heard this, but from I've seen the WiFi version of the new PSP is gonna be $249, and the 3G version is gonna be $299.

Here's a link from Sony's website directly...

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644797498
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

this is just my opinion, but when the new PSP for 99$ comes out sales for the 3ds might die again, at least for a short time.

That price isn't for the Vita, its for the redesigned old-style PSP. Vita is still going to go for 250 a pop though.

I'm sorry Nintendo, but a region lock and lack of backwards compatibility pretty much means that I won't be giving up my DSlite any time soon. I've got my PS2 and PS3 set up side by side, and along with the PSP and DSlite I simply have more than enough gaming going on with this without having to make yet another gen leap. I pass that baton over to the younger generation now and besides, 3D isn't all that great in my opinion anyways.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Primus wrote:

Seriously? Wow, here I thought the system was doing well as every time I walked into Game stop/ store similar to it, for a while, it seemed like the system was flying off the shelf. Learn something new every day I suppose.

It's not that it actually did bad, it's that it just didn't live up to Nintendo's expectations (which has been translated by everybody else as "The 3DS is failing" Rolling Eyes - It's not.)

Nintendo did kind of put themselves in a bind with a high price and nothing to buy at launch, but those times are changing. Glad to see that the sells have gone up. Now with Mario Kart and Super Mario Land 3D coming out for the holiday the 3DS should start selling a lot better.

I'm not bothered that I got my 3DS at $250. I needed a DS to begin with as my DS had broken. Buying the next generation handheld with backwards compatibility for that price is a way better deal than blowing money on a DSi or DSi XL.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
@FaytLein: 3DS is backward compatible with DS games...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

That price isn't for the Vita, its for the redesigned old-style PSP. Vita is still going to go for 250 a pop though.

As this is a thread relating to Japanese sales, a 9,900 Yen PSP would crush the 3DS outside of the holiday season simply due to games. But so far PSP E1000 is Europe-only.

Sariachan wrote:
@FaytLein: 3DS is backward compatible with DS games...

Given that person has a DSlite, I imagine they may be referring to GBA backwards compatibility...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1