• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Free ANN?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfnodie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:30 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of a premium version of ANN, if it does only cost $15 to $25 yearly, and I went ahead and voted that I would pay cause I would like to help this site in any way, but I think that there should be some other premium services as well that are offered along with the no adds. Even if there are no other services offered, I would still pay, I just think it would be a good idea. Off the top of my head I can't think of any good extra premium services to offer along with no add's, but maybe some of you others can come up with some good, realistic ideas to through at the admins, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear any idea we all have to better this wonderful site.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:33 am Reply with quote
Provided enough people were interested in this idea, we'd probably do a few other things for them. A couple contests only for them, maybe some special items (that you'd have to pay for, but would only be available to you) etc...

There's really not a whole lot we can offer, since I have no intention of ever making anything that is on the site subscription only, but we'd try to give a few things back to people.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:37 am Reply with quote
I'd love to support the place, but I'm sadly absolutely broke right now (my job search is turning up utterly abysmal results...), and I don't have a credit card.

That said, I'm not opposed to the idea of a "Premium Package," provided the forums & "My Anime" would remain open to regular users with all the current features.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
garfnodie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:46 am Reply with quote
I can understand not wanting to make the site subscription based, and the idea of a contest or two for the paying people would be cool. I guess my worry is that even as popular as this site is, I'm afriad that like many other anime sites in the past, you could run into bandwidth problems, and have to shut down. I'm not really sure how you all handle paying for site as it is, maybe thats not an issue, and probably never will be. I'm just wanting to suport it how I can.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:52 am Reply with quote
garfnodie wrote:
I'm afriad that like many other anime sites in the past, you could run into bandwidth problems, and have to shut down.

Not happening.

But for the record, right now ANN chews up 7-10 gigs a day.
garfnodie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, thats alot for a mostly test based site. How many hits do you usualy get a day.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:10 am Reply with quote
test based?

Oh, text based.

Quote:
How many hits do you usualy get a day.

Secret Smile

Last time we publicized our stats was in our 2002 year in review, although we've grown significantly since then. We may include similar details in the very late 2003 Year in Review when it is posted.

-t
rage-demon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
You know, truthfully the ads don't bother me that much. How else would i have learned about "Van Von Hunter?" Anime smile

But still, i would be more than willing to help out the site with a little bit here and there. And hey, if i just happen to gain access to a few specials, then all the better.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote
As much as I love, ANN...I voted no for the paying thing. Why? Because I don't see much of a point in paying just to get some anime news a bit faster or to get some [annoying] threads faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
I voted yes, but only if there was something else extra besides just an add-free site. Maybe if it also consisted of getting deals with certain retailers (like a 10% coupon code at RightStuf) or maybe for Cons. Other possible bonuses could be an ANN related merchandise like a t-shirt or cup.

The adds are usually not a problem since there is only the one banner add at the top. The only time that the adds have been an issue with me was when the Heatguy-J add was causing site problems.
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 am Reply with quote
Yes... finally a way for us guys with ridiculously slow connections to access the site faster!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone appreciated the Heat Guy J ad. I liked annoying my mom with the pinging noise, but that was about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jinketsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
Not having ads isn't much of an incentive since your ads aren't very intrusive. I'll still sign up; it would be nice to give a little back to a site that I use so much.

Last edited by Jinketsu on Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Not to be greedy in asking for more in such a paid service, but yeah, the ads aren't much of a big deal and it loads quickly enough for me although having it go down because of traffic now and then is a problem for me. That seems to be fixed and I'm thankful. Now then, anything else to offer? ^^;; I'm not one to pay for services online hehe. I suppose I could be convinced. I go here 3-4 times a day hehe.
TF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Jinketsu wrote:
No having ads isn't much of an incentive since your ads aren't very intrusive.

Don't bring them on ideas or they might start throwing pop-ups at us (wich i really really hate Evil or Very Mad )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7