• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bodacious Space Pirates Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSzabo45

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I’ll admit that this show is certainly noteworthy in the 2012 season, but forgive me if I can’t understand the butt-kissing it has been getting from the reviewers here.

The story is great but I’m not feeling it with the characters, even if they are fresh and original. And I’m sorry but I think Marika is the worst character of them all. The review describes her as strong and likeable, but I think we’re confusing the word strong with invincible. A strong female lead does not need to be invincible, and Marika seems to be just that. If the show is going to continue with her saving everyone from one impossible situation after another, I can’t see that being very entertaining. Even Sailor Moon got her tail kicked every once and a while, but the best part about that was seeing her get up again. If only Marika’s mother had been the main character, I think that would have been better.

It’s an easygoing and well-written show, but I fear the characters are going to drag it down.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I just don't find this anime appealing..its far to bland and uninteresting for my taste but I'm sure it will be picked up by Funimation in the future.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite grasp Mr. Kimlinger's complaints at first blush, but it's mostly complimentary and I'm already fond of the series, so I'm not really in the audience for a review.

Does anybody really know if Tatsuo Sato is working simultaneously on this and Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne in substantially identical capacities. I recall there being some uncertainty as to the extent of his role Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne and reading a suggestion somewhere that Bodacious Space Pirates had already been finished, or nearly finished before the season began.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
...I'm sure it will be picked up by Funimation in the future.

It was licensed by Sentai for DVD and Blu-Ray release before it aired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
BSzabo45 wrote:
I’ll admit that this show is certainly noteworthy in the 2012 season, but forgive me if I can’t understand the butt-kissing it has been getting from the reviewers here.

The story is great but I’m not feeling it with the characters, even if they are fresh and original. And I’m sorry but I think Marika is the worst character of them all. The review describes her as strong and likeable, but I think we’re confusing the word strong with invincible. A strong female lead does not need to be invincible, and Marika seems to be just that. If the show is going to continue with her saving everyone from one impossible situation after another, I can’t see that being very entertaining. Even Sailor Moon got her tail kicked every once and a while, but the best part about that was seeing her get up again. If only Marika’s mother had been the main character, I think that would have been better.

It’s an easygoing and well-written show, but I fear the characters are going to drag it down.

I agree with everything said. Marika is one of the least uninspiring, most boring characters I've ever laid eyes on. I don't understand why ANN keeps giving it rave reviews. The characters are a snooze, the story is as well... "You're the pirate queen of the Bentenmaru now!" "Cool! Does that mean we do anything pirate-y?!" "Nope! Even the government doesn't recognize us as pirates." For 5 episodes, a ship full of girls tried to avoid an enemy pirate ship that was not even shown/described. None of the girls on the ship have personalities... I mean, even the Japanese Wikipedia page just has constant "A member of the ship" descriptions. There is no story existent. Maria becomes the captain of a pirate ship- But does nothing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I unabashedly love this show. By far my favorite of winter season. The pace is just exactly what I want from a space opera, and I'd argue that the series has only gotten stronger with each episode (though I have yet to watch 7). I love how in episode 6 we didn't get some standard introduction to each member of the Bentenmaru. I love how they actually showed all the bureaucracy involved with renewing the Letter of Marque. Basically, I love that it's not just about fighting the enemy or whatever. I loved Nadesico for the same reasons. Only a quarter of the way done, so I can't wait to see what lies ahead for Marika and the Bentenmaru.

Something of note is how the review states that the first couple of episodes are enthralling and then the next fall somewhat flat. Reaction in Japan has been the exact opposite. Hell, before episode 5 aired, the show was going to be a major flop. It was doing really, really bad in pre-order rankings. In the two weeks since episode 5 aired though, it has maintained top 100 DVD status pretty much the entire time. It's no longer going to flop. The otaku at least didn't take to the series until episode 5.
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Spot fudging on review. My sentiments echo exactly with the review. Until episode three or four, I was interested in knowing more about Marika and the world surrounding her but its just not coming.

I still don't feel completely connected with her or her crew. I guess I'm just not okay with pirates being reduced to licensed live performers.

The niceness is also killing me. No one is brash enough to question Marika's induction and there still doesn't seem to be any real conflict.

I do like the pacing but it consists of many cracks. From episode 5 to 6 it really felt like there was a considerable time skip. It seemed like I missed the introduction of the crew members and how they easily accepted her to be their captain.

Still, all in all, Moretsu Pirates is a million times better than that slop Lagrange and hope that it doesn't waste its potential like the latter did.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Still, all in all, Moretsu Pirates is a million times better than that slop Lagrange and hope that it doesn't waste its potential like the latter did.

I confess I was tempted to keep following Rinne no Lagrange so I could see where it went. Same with Senki Zesshō Symphogear; I knew it was merely an advertisement for the Seiyuu's singing careers, but I wanted to see if it got good later on. I had to sit down and have a stern lecture with myself that I shouldn't be following such shows, and that even if they did get better (unlikely) it would be too little too late.

So I dropped those two but I decided to keep going on with Moretsu Pirates. It's nowhere near as good as Macross Frontier. The female lead is so bland and easygoing I swear she's on valium or maybe weed. The world-building is poorly-thought-out at best, and crap at worst. The plot is more stagnant than a cesspool. Pacing? What pacing? And yet, Moretsu Pirates is Good Enough to continue with. It just has something that makes it watchable. Something other shows like Rinne no Lagrange and Aquarion EVOL just lacked. Dunno what that is though.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm definitely in the "first 5 episodes are a slog, 6 is where it starts to get good" camp; that episode was what I wanted this show to be like, and here's hoping it stays that way.
Surrender Artist wrote:
Does anybody really know if Tatsuo Sato is working simultaneously on this and Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne in substantially identical capacities. I recall there being some uncertainty as to the extent of his role Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne

Well, I would assume he is giving more attention to "Space Pirates" because he is the only director listed; "Lagrange" lists two (Sato being "chief" director), so he might just be okay-ing everything instead of offering substantial input. But that's just a theory.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The good stuff really did only start with episode 6. I only made it through the bore of the first act for one reason: Kane. That guy is awesome.

While I wouldn't call Space Pirates a bad show by any means it's hardly the best of the season. Lagrange and Aquarion are far superior as they make sure to add in excitement along with the character and world building.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't think its a bad show. I think its ok so far, but its mostly been high school girls in space ! (said with a deep echo) I'll give it a few more episodes, but its not coming close to knocking Chihayafuru out of my top spot.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't that warm on the series for the first couple of episodes, but I'm slowly starting to over these last two. However, I also believe that the show is a little too smart/clever for its own good at times with its copious amount of technospeak (I won't be so cruel and call it "technobabble", as it has its place here) and with how the constant stream of counters nearly verge on being pulled from one's backside or having been "all according to plan". Having technical/tactical battles are refreshing among the many action-first types, but Moretsu Pirates can get too cute, sometimes.

However, I, too, have been puzzled by some the great praise the series has gotten from critics (and I'm not singling out ANN, either). I can understand why with its world-building, Mariko (who's refreshingly grounded), and said battle style, but I don't feel it is that remarkable, either. Much of its feels like I've seen it all before, be it its view of space, the characters themselves, or even the measured focus on battles, and while it is all solid, it's not that worthy of praise. That's not to say that the show isn't good--it is--but I don't think it's "standout" good, either, much less the best show of the season.

On another note, with the series' title and some of the OP's scenes, I'm sort of holding out that it will be shoehorning fanservice elements into it. Hope I'm proven wrong, but still…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Good review, this series is "good" but I found it to be boring (too much techno-babble) and the characters aren't interesting enough for me to continue past episode 2. I may reconsider, because this show has to be great if everyone is praising it so much. I remember liking the lead girl, she was enjoyably spunky...

It seems like every time when someone mentions Moe Pirates they just HAVE to bring down Lagrange and Evol as if it's such a huge leap in quality above the other two. On the contrary as a fan of both, those series are actually *Gasp* exciting while exhibiting great world building! (Lagrange is better in my opinion.) Aquarion Evol is a likable goofy series with an decent plot and likable characters. While it's not great by any stretch of them imagination, it's fun to watch in it's audacity (Ala Gurren Lagann). Plus Satelight is clearly putting more money into Evol since the anime is absolutely gorgeous.

Lagrange is my favorite of the sci-fi bunch though. The characters manage to defy expectations as we're lead to believe that they're just your standard bishoujo tropes when the girls are actually refreshing takes on those said tropes. Madoka is vastly different from the usual "emo" mecha male lead and shows flaws in being hotblooded, Muginami's (Mugi/Mikuru-styled) aloofness is an act, and Lan displays much a heck of a lot more emotion than your average Rei-clone. The character interactions are very well written, always blending drama and comedy seamlessly. There is a nice balance of otaku pandering as well, the girls have cute catchphrases that never annoy (like UGUU!), along with non-disruptive/low-key fanservice. Not to mention a surprisingly well portrayed cast of secondary characters. The antagonists also impress by managing to be on the "grey" side of things rather than being generically evil, hell spoiler[It's implied that our heroines are in fact the evil ones.] I can really go on and on about how great Lagrange is in my eyes. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong here but I see a diamond in the rough that just keeps getting better and better with each episode. (P.S. The soundtrack is excellent! My favorite OST of the season. Wait... Lagrange is my favorite anime of this season! Very Happy)

I love the fact that a whopping set of 5 sci-fi anime premiered this season. So all of us sci-fi fans should be pleased. We're all catered to on different levels.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
...I'm sure it will be picked up by Funimation in the future.

It was licensed by Sentai for DVD and Blu-Ray release before it aired.[/quote]

I remember reading that a while back it must of slipped my mind I know that Viz has the streaming license rights for Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne but its highly doubtful that they will ever release it on DVD..they haven't released anything other then Bleach and Naruto for years now.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I can see the appeal this anime has, but to praise it to that extent? Confused This is a good anime... compared to most that this season has to offer. That's not saying much. Compared to Nisemonogatari and Ano Natsu de Matteru, Bodacious Space Pirates is utter crap.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
You know, having an interest in a series that is presently airing rather than one that's already been seen, loved, hated, raved about and ranted about is a new, weird experience for me.

There seems to a modest trend in the different expectations that the title has created. Those whose expectations concentrated upon Space Pirates seem likelier to be disappointed by the series. While those who like it best seem to have looked more toward Bodacious.

BSzabo45 wrote:
And I’m sorry but I think Marika is the worst character of them all. The review describes her as strong and likeable, but I think we’re confusing the word strong with invincible. A strong female lead does not need to be invincible, and Marika seems to be just that. If the show is going to continue with her saving everyone from one impossible situation after another, I can’t see that being very entertaining.

Oh, I beg of you, give us a little credit! I don't think that she's been branded with that benighted label carelessly. I thin that Marika is a good character because she's portrayed as uncommonly clever and talented, but not as overwhelmingly or grandiosely so. Throughout the first five episodes she was shown as having a need for the other characters and since episode six the series has shown her as sometimes being out of her depth and begun gradually adding some anxieties and uncertainties into her character.

Megiddo wrote:
I unabashedly love this show. By far my favorite of winter season. The pace is just exactly what I want from a space opera, and I'd argue that the series has only gotten stronger with each episode (though I have yet to watch 7). I love how in episode 6 we didn't get some standard introduction to each member of the Bentenmaru. I love how they actually showed all the bureaucracy involved with renewing the Letter of Marque. Basically, I love that it's not just about fighting the enemy or whatever. I loved Nadesico for the same reasons. Only a quarter of the way done, so I can't wait to see what lies ahead for Marika and the Bentenmaru.

I'm very much in your boat. I think that I fail to articulate and understand why, but I do like it a lot. I just think that it feels well put together and sometimes rather endearingly subtle. It just feels very well put together to me. There seems to be an interesting break between the critical and 'popular' consensuses. There has more, "this isn't as good as they say it is," rather than, "they're crazy, this sucks!"

I would love to see a demographic survey comparing the age, time watching anime, preferences and opinion of Bodacious Space Pirates. I probably overreach in assigning structural causes to things, but it seems like there could be some sort of age of cultural divide in play here.

Megiddo wrote:
Something of note is how the review states that the first couple of episodes are enthralling and then the next fall somewhat flat. Reaction in Japan has been the exact opposite. Hell, before episode 5 aired, the show was going to be a major flop. It was doing really, really bad in pre-order rankings. In the two weeks since episode 5 aired though, it has maintained top 100 DVD status pretty much the entire time. It's no longer going to flop. The otaku at least didn't take to the series until episode 5.

I liked it from the first episode, but episode five did seal the deal for me because it felt like a good payoff for what went before it. It did seem to be a watershed episode. Of course, since things that I like are particularly likely to fail, I had thought that it was guaranteed to be a flop. I don't know if it really matters either way given that Sentai has already licensed it, but I'm glad to see a glimmer of hope for it in its native market.

DRWii wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Does anybody really know if Tatsuo Sato is working simultaneously on this and Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne in substantially identical capacities. I recall there being some uncertainty as to the extent of his role Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne

Well, I would assume he is giving more attention to "Space Pirates" because he is the only director listed; "Lagrange" lists two (Sato being "chief" director), so he might just be okay-ing everything instead of offering substantial input. But that's just a theory.

That's what I've been wondering about. I had thought that he was just supervising Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne rather than actively guiding it, but it's all been unclear. When I read things that work from the assumption that he's substantially responsible for both series, I can't help but wonder just how valid that assumption is. The more interesting part of the question is that the series had already been finished before it was shown, which would fit with its original, earlier premier date, would make Tatsuo Sato working on Lagrange -The Flower of Rin-ne seem more plausible and, if they were allowed to see it in advance, make Sentai's licensing it before it was broadcast seem better founded.

Perhaps more information will eventually filter over from Japan that will let us make sense of things.

vinamara wrote:
The niceness is also killing me. No one is brash enough to question Marika's induction and there still doesn't seem to be any real conflict.

This is a point of curiosity to me, because I don't entirely disagree. I like Bodacious Space Pirates a lot, but although I've liked its characterization, it isn't particularly conflicted or dark. This is strange, because I thrive on misery and darkness. Most of my favorite characters are those who have been scarred by loss, failure, sins madness or death. Earlier today I was even musing to myself about how predictable my tastes were and worried that I might be in a rut. Yet, when I watched Bodacious Space Pirates, I found that I was becoming invested in characters who did not, so far as has been shown, fit within my usual grim tastes. I think what I like about Marika is that I find her characterization very believable and well-tuned. There's a lack of melodrama and over angst that, although I'm known to quite like melodrama, is refreshing, but perhaps has become slightly unfamiliar to anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6