• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Steins;Gate TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
And it's not available in the UK. Lame. Hope it has nothing to do with our delayed streaming platform, because they've already announced delayed shows.

Meanwhile I download.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Figured as much - the page there has been saying "Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region" since it appeared along with all those trailers. Since Blue Exorcist is the same it is almost certainly their last unannounced title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
So, two of the best won't be available here? Ugh. I was somewhat tired of CR's videos lagging anyway. This allows me to download a superior version without all the annoyance, but I'd rather have it faster through some smooth simulcast. I'll wait before I draw further conclusions based on Anime on Demand, though.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, heard good things about this but I really don't want to go to fansubs these days. Although, I remember seeing a screenshot of AnoHana on their notification app yet a lot of people are saying it looks like Blue Exorcist is the last title, really hope I don't have to watch one of those fansubbed.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
So, two of the best won't be available here? Ugh. I was somewhat tired of CR's videos lagging anyway. This allows me to download a superior version without all the annoyance, but I'd rather have it faster through some smooth simulcast. I'll wait before I draw further conclusions based on Anime on Demand, though.

Well I've put them at numbers 3 and 6.
Nichijou and Hanairo taking the top spots, Deadman Wonderland,and The World God Only Knows taking 4 and 5.
CRs videos don't lag, WHEN are you watching them, it's probaly your connection being too slow due to peak time traffic.

Might be willing to pay up for Steins;Gate, if AoD have it and something else of interst.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
yeah CR's videos run very smoothly so no reason no to watch on there.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Excellent, heard good things about this but I really don't want to go to fansubs these days. Although, I remember seeing a screenshot of AnoHana on their notification app yet a lot of people are saying it looks like Blue Exorcist is the last title, really hope I don't have to watch one of those fansubbed.

Well, originally the following titles were listed on their app:

* Blue Exorcist (Ao no Exorcist)
* A Bridge to the Stars (Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi)
* Deadman Wonderland
* Hana-Saku Iroha
* Lotte no Omocha!
* Nichijou
* Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi
* Sket Dance
* Under the Innocent Sky (Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai)

So far, they've gotten all but Blue Exorcist. Also Blue Exorcist was delayed a week from airing. Seems like more than coincidence. I'd expect that to be their last title.

The curious part is the three titles which were later added to that list though: Dog Days, A Channel and AnoHana. None of them have been picked up by anyone. Also, Dog Days has started airing already which makes me think nobody is ever going to get it.

I'm especially surprised about AnoHana though, it being a noitaminA show all of which have gotten simulcasted in the past half dozen seasons. Of course, to complicate matters, there hasn't been a peep out of Funimation about simulcasting C, the other noitaminA show. I don't know if that means they're going to come through with both or if it means the noitamiA stuff just hasn't been decided yet.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
CRs videos don't lag, WHEN are you watching them, it's probaly your connection being too slow due to peak time traffic.

Yeah, I wonder about that. I regularly test my ping and bandwidth whenever I'm having trouble uploading their video, and that's hardly the case. My broadband is capable of achieving 1.5mb/s in the afternoon, by the way, and it goes down to half of that during peak time.
What exactly is the fact behind "it's never CR's bandwidth"? Do they have anything to prove that? Sometimes I pause 500 kb/s downloads and the bloody thing still doesn't load properly.
Not that I'm doubting you... perhaps it's really my 750 kb/s connection problem or some invisible firewall somewhere, but I'd rather see some concrete evidence before blaming my ISP and a whole bunch of speed tests.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
And it's not available in the UK. Lame. Hope it has nothing to do with our delayed streaming platform, because they've already announced delayed shows.
That seems the most likely explanation ~ I don't recall ever seeing Netherlands, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland without the UK except for once, with Strike Witches (and that region restriction was lifted a few weeks later).

egoist wrote:
Reaper gI wrote:
Yeah, I wonder about that. I regularly test my ping and bandwidth whenever I'm having trouble uploading their video, and that's hardly the case. My broadband is capable of achieving 1.5mb/s in the afternoon, by the way, and it goes down to half of that during peak time.

What exactly is the fact behind "it's never CR's bandwidth"? ...
Its coming off of a CDN (Limelight, I think), and people in different parts of the US have been reporting trouble with buffering at various times in the past couple of months. Since there are five moving parts involved ~ Crunchyroll's system, Crunchyroll's connection to Limelight, Limelights servers, Limelight's path to the user, and the user's system ~ it can be tricky to pin down what the problem is. Even trickier if one of the paths crosses an international border.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Cool, now there's a second show I can watch on there this season.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The article states, "...Crunchyroll announced on its forums on Thursday...".

The forum post was made only three hours ago, so obviously this part of the new article is in error.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Its coming off of a CDN (Limelight, I think), and people in different parts of the US have been reporting trouble with buffering at various times in the past couple of months. Since there are five moving parts involved ~ Crunchyroll's system, Crunchyroll's connection to Limelight, Limelights servers, Limelight's path to the user, and the user's system ~ it can be tricky to pin down what the problem is. Even trickier if one of the paths crosses an international border.

It's not CRs bandwidth, it does this at peak UK time, not peak US time (I assume they're the larger group).
Which means it's either an EU content server for the CDN running out of bandwidth or the conection between you and it packing up due to traffic.

Currently, at peak time, I can just about play 720p video; a bit jumpy and it needs to buffer. Downstream is at around 1.5Mbit/s, about 1/5 what it is off peak.
That seems about right to be my connection speed causing the issue.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I have the most lag problems with new popular titles but at the same time another episode will play fine (so not my connection and not CR in general). Whether individual episodes can max out I don't know, but generally problems with videos stuttering go away if you refresh enough times - and sonetime i'll get a black window for a while after refreshing too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I made a mistake. The units I was talking about was megabytes, not megabits. More known as units used by torrent programs!
Yeah, I think I have the same issue as Shiroi Hane. I don't recall having this much trouble until I started watching their newest releases soon after they were released. Which made me sort of dubious. Could it be the whole server, just this video (do they have separate seed for each video by any chance), or me?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Sorry I made a mistake. The units I was talking about was megabytes, not megabits. More known as units used by torrent programs!
Yeah, I think I have the same issue as Shiroi Hane. I don't recall having this much trouble until I started watching their newest releases soon after they were released. Which made me sort of dubious. Could it be the whole server, just this video (do they have separate seed for each video by any chance), or me?
Its not a torrent, its a stream. There's a server somewhere run by the CDN network that Crunchyroll contracts with. They have servers distributed around the US ~ I don't know if they have servers in Europe ~ and a backbone connection between them. The closer the cache is to your system ~ at the interconnect to your ISP, at a server a couple of hops away, across the atlantic, across the atlantic and then across the continental US ~ the fewer things that can happen to introduce lags.

But if its just released, cached in San Francisco but not New York, and not in Europe, it would have a lot of hops to go to get to Europe. As it gets cached closer, the stream would smooth out.

In my experience, its even worse on the Roku box ~ I only ever had buffering problems during evening peak time on the web flash stream, but the Roku can take forever for a stream to show up, especially for back catalog series and episodes that are just released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2