• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Film Trailer with U.K. Dub Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Two questions.

1) Why are there two separate dubs again?
2) What accent is Ronan using there?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
with a cast led by Bridgit Mendler (Wizards of Waverly Place) as Arrietty.

Casting shitty Disney channel reject actors again, eh? I guess the British dub will be the far superior English dub, and more appropriate.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:

Casting shitty Disney channel reject actors again, eh? I guess the British dub will be the far superior English dub, and more appropriate.

Of course the British version will be more appropriate! Very Happy (That, plus we don't have to wait months to see it like we have to with Disney movies!)
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
I had the same thought.

Looking at whom they cast in the US dub, it looks like they're aggressively targeting the witless tween audience in North America: the very same who lap up the mindless live-action dramedy (Drama + Comedy = Dramedy) drivel Disney regurgitates.

Which leads me to believe the US dub is for them, while the UK dub is for everyone else, i.e. anyone who isn't a mindless tween.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I had the same thought.

Looking at whom they cast in the US dub, it looks like they're aggressively targeting the witless tween audience in North America: the very same who lap up the mindless live-action dramedy (Drama + Comedy = Dramedy) drivel Disney regurgitates.

Which leads me to believe the US dub is for them, while the UK dub is for everyone else, i.e. anyone who isn't a mindless tween.

I actually feel sorry for the American Ghibli fans who will probably end up importing the British BD/DVD release if the US dub sucks ass.

BTW, interesting way of describing the target audience for the US dub. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
While I agree with the notion that the UK dub is the preferred and more appropriate option, I will say that past Disney "reject" actors have usually done well on Ghibli dubs. Whisper of the Heart is an excellent example--I'd even say it's almost the best Ghibli dub out there.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Two questions.

1) Why are there two separate dubs again?

Optimum must really like the summer season for Ghilbi films, and as Pooh pushed Arrietty to 2012, they likely weren't given the ability to use the Disney dub, and made their own.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
While I will say I like the UK cast list, there isn't anything wrong with the US cast list. Amy Poehler and Will Arnett are in no way "Disney reject actors." Disney must seem to know what they're doing with their Ghibli dubs because you can go back and look at the casts for their past releases and see that while some of their younger cast might not be as well known when they dub the movie, they do have a tendency to "break out" later. I think Bridgit Mendler is going to do just fine.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:

Casting shitty Disney channel reject actors again, eh?

What makes ya think she's a reject? Haven't been watching Disney Channel lately? Laughing

(Y'know, some Disney actors VAing Ghibli films have gone on to other things after Disney, like Shia LaBeouf and Kirsten Dunst - she was in a pre-Kiki Disney Channel movie, not TV series.)

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
they do have a tendency to "break out" later. Bridgit Mendler is going to do just fine.

I don't know about break out. Brittany Snow, Frankie Jonas, Ashley Tisdale, Noah Cyrus and others are still fairly minor stars compared to some. But all I care about is if they did a good job and for the most part the kids they've casted have done well. I've actually been more disappointed by the "name" U.S. actors who've done Ghibli dubs--Claire Danes, Michael Keaton, etc,. than the lesser knowns. The best dub performance by a "name" actor IMO was probably Kirsten Dunst...and she was pretty unknown back when she did Kiki.

(I also enjoyed Tina Fey in Ponyo more than I expected to)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
I had the same thought.

Um...... that's the same audience that Miyazaki targets in Japan!
What, ya think Miyazaki primarily targets animation connoisseurs?!
Lemme guess, ya hate kids, doncha? Laughing

BorgmanJayce wrote:

I actually feel sorry for the American Ghibli fans who will probably end up importing the British BD/DVD release if the US dub sucks ass.

What makes ya think that? Have the past US Ghibli dubs suck ass? The past US Ghibli dubs have been using Disney Channel VAs, and none of 'em have failed yet.

Ya guys should stop pretending that Ghibli films are not for the mass market - they are. Confused
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

BorgmanJayce wrote:

What makes ya think that? Have the past US Ghibli dubs suck ass? The past US Ghibli dubs have been using Disney Channel VAs, and none of 'em have failed yet.

Ya guys should stop pretending that Ghibli films are not for the mass market - they are. Confused

Please kindly don't accuse me of being a Ghibli snob. I actually like the previous Disney dubs, to be honest, especially "The Cat Returns"! (In fact I actually asked Cary Elwes who played "The Baron" in the Disney dub when he was at Collectormania in London last year if he ever got the chance to work on any more Disney Ghibli dubs, would he do so, and he said that if he got the chance he would definitely be interested in working on one again! I definitely could have seen him as Arrietty's dad in the Disney dub if he had been asked to do so) Also, I actually liked the Disney dub of Ponyo, especially with Liam Neeson as Ponyo's dad.

And FYI, I know that Ghibli movies ARE for the mass-market, I'm just concerned at the fact that with the US dub, rather than have well-known actors and actresses for their dub as with previous ones, they've decided to go with relative unknowns, although Will Arnett is vaguely familar to me...
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Saoirse Ronan is in this? Awesome.

Quote:
2) What accent is Ronan using there?

An English accent?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:

And FYI, I know that Ghibli movies ARE for the mass-market, I'm just concerned at the fact that with the US dub, rather than have well-known actors and actresses for their dub as with previous ones, they've decided to go with relative unknowns, although Will Arnett is vaguely familar to me...

Confused

How would that affect quality? As long as they can act, who cares how well known they are?

And Amy Poehler is quite known. She's a comedienne, but comediennes have actually done quite well with Ghibli. Status wise she's like Tina Fey when she was on SNL--not yet famous, but reasonably known on TV. Heck, she was even in a movie with Tina Fey! (Not a good one, but alas...)

I see the desire to have the UK dub since this story is of UK origins, but to basically torpedoe the U.S. dub as already being crap is ridiculous, since Disney really has never done a truly bad Ghibli dub. (I'm nitpicky on some, though).
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
BorgmanJayce wrote:

Confused

How would that affect quality? As long as they can act, who cares how well known they are?

And Amy Poehler is quite known. She's a comedienne, but comediennes have actually done quite well with Ghibli. Status wise she's like Tina Fey when she was on SNL--not yet famous, but reasonably known on TV. Heck, she was even in a movie with Tina Fey! (Not a good one, but alas...)

Who's Amy Poehler? I haven't heard of her, to be honest, especially if she's been in Saturday Night Live as they haven't shown it in the UK for years...

In any case, I would have thought that Disney would have gone for well-known stars if they wanted to make more money, rather than go for people who are relative unknowns.

I'm sure they're pretty good actors and actreses, but from a marketing point of view, they should have gone for better known stars.

Optimum had the right idea in getting the likes of Mark Strong (who was pretty awesome in Green Lantern as Sinestro and Phyllida Law (who's a pretty well known actress in the UK as well as the mother of the actress Emma Thompson) to star in their British dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2