• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[AoD] Subtitle Errors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
As promised, a separate thread so I don't drown out actual video issues.

Dantalian 1
at 17:36

The line flashes by so fast I had to skip back twice to even catch what it said. Some translation notes have been left in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DarkMeph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
that reminds me of Gunslinger Girl one of the characters was called Jose. They spelt his name 4 different ways in the subtitles.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Are you talking about the official subtitles or just the fansubs? IIRC he was Jose in FUNimation's subtitles and Giuseppe in ADV's translation of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DarkMeph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Official subtitles. I have both TV series I noticed it more on IL TEATRINO.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Dantalian 4

this wall of text appears 20 seconds in and remains on screen for 2 seconds.
The "Whew, finished..." fits in with what he says ("owatta..") but there is no legible text on screen (there is text visible on the typewriter, but it is not legible) and it is impossible to read in only 2 seconds. It reads like a description of the episode, especially since it begins with the episode title. Since this is the first subtitle in the episode I think the text got accidentally merged in.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Dantalian 5

Same problem. The first subtitled line has been merged with the episode title and description (confirmed by checking the page on the nicovideo site, via Google cache as I can't view it directly)

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Twin Angel ep 1

At 15:44 there appears to be a partial translation note left in:
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've looked into this and the reasons seem to be twofold:

1. In subtitle .ass scripts things in { } are not displayed. The offending line in twin angel 1, however has two different { } { } blocks (a note from the translator and editor's response).

It looks like the .ass parser cannot handle more than one consecutive { } block properly.

2. The wall of text is something I started to unify the episode metadata and script together: The first two lines of the script are comment lines containing the title and summary.
It looks like AoD's player doesn't parse comment lines correctly.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks Sam.

The obvious temporary solution would be for Andrew to strip out anything between {}s before uploading the subtitles to AoD, unless a quick patch on the player is possible.

Oh and PS: is that brief audio glitch 1m30s into the first episode of Twin Angel (during the OP) in the original files you were supplied with? If you've ever messed around with vinyl and tried flicking the speed up to 45RPM on a 33⅓ disc, then it sounds exactly like that.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives episode 1

The subtitle timing is noticeably off at the end of the episode (after the credits); by 1.5 to 2 seconds - enough that the lines are disappear from screen before they are even spoken. It wasn't as noticeable earlier on, but skipping back, lines were appearing a little early and disappearing before the character had finished speaking them. I think it is a gradual slippage because I didn't notice it at all at first - at the start of the episode it is bang on, perhaps a second early halfway through the episode but more like a couple of seconds off by the 20 minute mark.

I've tried refreshing in case the player was just messing up. I've also tried the 360p stream in case it was just my slow computer struggling to keep up. The sound and video are still perfectly in sync.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
A Dark Rabbit has Seven Lives episode 1

The subtitle timing is noticeably off at the end of the episode (after the credits); by 1.5 to 2 seconds - enough that the lines are disappear from screen before they are even spoken. It wasn't as noticeable earlier on, but skipping back, lines were appearing a little early and disappearing before the character had finished speaking them. I think it is a gradual slippage because I didn't notice it at all at first - at the start of the episode it is bang on, perhaps a second early halfway through the episode but more like a couple of seconds off by the 20 minute mark.

I've tried refreshing in case the player was just messing up. I've also tried the 360p stream in case it was just my slow computer struggling to keep up. The sound and video are still perfectly in sync.

That was something that cropped up in the first episodes of usagi and R-15.

The source raws that were provided were set to 24 fps instead of 23.976.

For the niconico simulcasts, I properly corrected the video when encoding the final versions to 23.976 and made sure the subtitles matched, therefore if justin didn't properly convert the source to 23.976 the subtitles will be a few seconds off by the end of the episode.

Starting around episode 3-4, the two shows where this was an issue were delivered in source format of proper 23.976 fps, so it doesn't occur after that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I did see your comment about slowing it down in the NicoNico thread, but wasn't sure 0.034fps actually added up to a couple of seconds over the course of the episode and my mind blanked on the maths to work it out. I didn't notice any problems with the second episode though, and all episodes are exactly 24:40 here.

Hmm... if 24:40 was 0.1% longer than it should be then the difference would be 1.48s which is about right.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
A Dark Rabbit Has Seven Lives 6

I have no idea why, but the line I have bolded below is not displaying:
Quote:
<caption begin="00:02:43.89" dur="00:00:02.40" style="normal">
<![CDATA[ Hey, Bro! I'm done with my bath! ]]>
</caption>
<caption begin="00:02:47.41" dur="00:00:01.40" style="normal">
<![CDATA[ I'll take mine later. ]]>
</caption>

<caption begin="00:02:49.66" dur="00:00:03.32" style="normal">
<![CDATA[ Oh, you must be reading something naughty. ]]>
</caption>
<caption begin="00:02:46.71" dur="00:00:07.46" style="normal">
<![CDATA[
"(Extracurricular) Activities While Passing Each Other By"
]]>
</caption>
<caption begin="00:02:52.98" dur="00:00:02.43" style="normal">
<![CDATA[ I'm not! Look. ]]>
</caption>

Whether or not it is related, the episode title displays fine and comes up when it should even though it is written out of order.
Screencaps of the sequence: http://picasaweb.google.com/shirobane/Itsuten6
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, our video player doesn't like out-of-order subs. The out-of-order one might display fine, but it'll screw up the surrounding subs. I'll fix it now.

I didn't do the encode for Dark Rabbit 1-2, so unless someone gets me updated files there's not much I can do about that one.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Dantalian episode 6
Dantalian episode 8

Both have the description mixed in with the subs again.

It doesn't actually show for episode 6 since it is set to display for 0s (which is a good thing), but the title is also invisible:

<caption begin="00:00:00.00" dur="00:00:00.00" style="normal"><![CDATA[Libricide]]></caption>
<caption begin="00:00:00.00" dur="00:00:00.00" style="normal"><![CDATA[Two people arrive at a town by the lake in search of someone. The girl, Flam, is dressed in a white strait jacket and bound by belts and chains. She is accompanied by the "Libricide Officer" Hal, who carries Flam and a large staff in his sidecar. The cop, Mabel, approaches the suspicious pair before inviting them to her house. As Mabel tells them about this average rural town, Hal mentions that a large number of people have gone missing in the area...?]]></caption>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2