• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: The Interpreter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeiram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
eh just so you know, shroedinger's theory on quantum mechanics (as being false) used a cat and henceforth is a good cat name ^^ heh
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:
eh just so you know, shroedinger's theory on quantum mechanics (as being false) used a cat and henceforth is a good cat name ^^ heh

You beat me to it.

Schroedinger's theory has since become popularly known as "Schroedinger's Cat" and even for people who don't know anything about quantum theory, the story of the cat in the theoretical problem is quite popular amongst some of the nerdier types. So, it's more a less of a joke/pun/homage/har har to name a cat Schroedinger.

Very Happy If you ever get the chance to read up on it (apologies if you already have), I recommend it. It's a pretty amusing way to think about one of his theories.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It's also become a joke in being one of the indicators as to how you know you're an engineering major:

Quote:
YOU MIGHT BE AN ENGINEERING MAJOR IF...

15. The Humane society has you arrested because you actually performed the Schrodinger's Cat experiment.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
It's also become a joke in being one of the indicators as to how you know you're an engineering major:

Quote:
YOU MIGHT BE AN ENGINEERING MAJOR IF...

15. The Humane society has you arrested because you actually performed the Schrodinger's Cat experiment.

I had never seen that list before, so I googled it to see if I was a stereotypic engineer or not. *cries* And I was.

Though this is one of my favorites, which stems from an old engineering joke about a physicist, a chemist, and an engineer: Wink
Quote:
If you'll assume that a "horse" is a "sphere" in order to make the math easier.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Zeiram wrote:

I don't quite follow where you got this out of the article. Question
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
When Rebecca was answering the Hellsing(I think) question about the names, one of the names was Schroedinger. She then went on to comment that if you're a Stargate fan in the series Samantha gives a cat to a Tolan scientist, and the cat's name was Schroedinger.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1