• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karitaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, come to think of good anime, I can hardly supply top 5, because they are all the I liked through years and years. But let me try.

Top Anime:
1. Future Boy Conan.
This I like because of the excellent plot, and directing. It is worthwhile to mention that it is done in parts by Miyazaki Hayao. The story is so good, that I can't believe it was taken out of a children's book. The characters are very well developed. The animation might not be that good, but it is almost 20 years old. I know that it is my best.

2. Detective Conan.
I liked Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Maigrait, and Arsene Lupin when I was young, so it is consequent that I should like this anime. First of all, this anime is a Masterpiece. The author gives only great plots. Plots that could be compared to the master whodunits writers. One other things, Fillers - Fillers could kill a good anime. I know they did to Rurouni Kenshin. In Detective conan, though, fillers, OVAs and Movies are as good as the manga plots, because they are written by the Gosho Aoyama himself, the creator of detective conan. No one else is to interfere. This is what makes it amazing. And one more thing, it has more than 400 episodes.

3. Naruto.
I wasn't excited about this one to begin with, but my wife's constant nagging about it had set me to watch it. What can I see, I like good fighting that is not crappy. (I used to like WWF by the way). I like ninja. So what more to ask for? This anime starts with the real stuff from episode 2. You can't beat that. But, mind you, exclude the fillers arcs, OVAs and Movies.

4. Bleach.
I wasn't excited about this one either, yet again my wife forces me to watch it. It is awesome. It is similar to naruto, in that it has a very good general air, and nice fighting styles. It seems my wife has a good intuition about these things. Everything I chose to watch myself seem to be crappy. This doesn't include the filler arcs and possible movies. But single filler episodes don't seem to be that bad.

5. Lupin.
I have the link to the "first contact," because it is the best special there is. Of course I liked "the castle of Caligastro" after having watched it twice, which is by the way a work of Miyazaki Hayao. However, I didn't like the tv series. It was very childish and cheesy, but the specials, OVAs and movies are what got me hooked in the Lupin world.

6. City Hunter.
I don't see how a person could like Lupin without liking city hunter. The series is so good. It is what I would expect a Lupin series to be. But unfortunately, it is the other way around about specials and movies, they tend to rather bad. One other thing about this series is that it is so funny, you can't stop laughing. They work well on the depth of the characters as well. Finally, they are working on a sequel to the city hunter series, called "angel heart," where spoiler[Kaori dies and has her heart implanted into the body of a Taiwanese female assassin].

7. Spirited Away.
I am not really that much into anime movies. I don't usually like them the first time I watch them. Even the Ghibli ones. I watched all of them. I watched "Princess Mononoke" twice, "Nausicaa" once, and I still don't like them. I had to watch "Laputa" twice to like it. But this one - "spirited away" - grabbed my attention the first time I watched it. It is so good. I am anticipating "Howl's Moving Castle."

8. Iga No Kabamaro.
I told you, I like Ninjas. I am sure you have noticed that I like funny stuff. This series has it all. One of the few 24-26 episode anime that I liked. I wish I could watch it in Japanese.

9. Captain Future.
I know it is kinda cheesy, but what can I do. You've got Sci-Fi and mystery. Now I like this combination. I didn't like the first movie of the star wars that much. I had to watch it like 4 times, and I still didn't reach the end. It doesn't have a story, for crying out lout. But this one, I watched when I was a little kid, and I liked the mystery factor in it.

10. Hunter X Hunter.
Ok, I'm sure this is the last item in my list. I rated this as decent, because of the Kurapica spider arc. It was to long, dark, and I wasn't able to make heads or tails from the subs of the bootleg version I bought. But all in all, it could be one of the few fighting anime that has a story into it. There is one good point about it. There are no fillers. I can't believe it. But that means the studio that made it didn't want to make any more money than they needed.

11. Tenjou Tenge.
Sorry for this extra one, but I had to include it. I actually like this show. It is again about fighting, but it is something I've seen the like of. I am waiting for the next season impatiently.

Now to the worst five anime. Now here I can list hundreds and hundreds.

1. Melody Of Oblivion.
This thing really has nothing to offer. Bad story, bad characters, boring, long. I have watched everything up to the last episode. It is really cheesy. I can only remember "viva monster union" and crap like that.

2. Ragnarok: The Animation.
I was happy to see a Korean thing for change. But I was so disappointed. The drawing is not bad, but there is really no story. If there is one, it just plainly sucks. By the way, I watched all of it.

3. Saber Marionette.
Oh my God. This Anime has nothing. No drawing, no story, no jokes. After I finished the first season, I was ready to kill myself. I am going to watch the rest. What can I say? I like to sadistically torture myself.

4. Akira.
I watched this dubbed in English. I DID NOT LIKE IT. I don't know, so much is going on, with a very weak plot.

5. Peacemaker.
Someone here told me that if I liked Kenshin, I would like Peacemaker. Oh my God. This guy gave me the worst advice ever. I couldn't wait for it to finish. Man, this anime is really badly directed.

Sorry if I had offended anybody. But think about it, if we all agreed on the same anime shows, it would be a big stab in the stomach for the anime industry. And we won't have these many animes to choose from.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly, I've never posted in this thread, not that I can remember...I'll have to look back and/or edit if I have.

(I need to do something productive tonight, so I'll add the 10 favorite later)

5 Least Favorite: While it's easy to hate on DBZ, Yugi-Oh, Inuyasha, Pokemon, and similar series, I haven't seen very much of them, so I can't make a real judgement on them. So, I'll restrict myself to anime that I have seen, in no particular order:

Ichigo 100%
For me, this anime had no redeeming value aside from some cute girls and the episodes about the childhood friend character, Yui. Otherwise, it's a pointless shounen romance with Average Loser #497 and numerous girls who want his attention. This wouldn't be that bad, except that the series goes nowhere and does nothing, even with 5 OVas and a special after the 12-episode TV run. And I really don't feel like reading 18 volumes of manga to reach the end, either.

Futakoi
Guilty of the same crimes as Ichigo 100%--unlikeable male lead, many many girls who like him for no apparent reason, and many of these girls are irritating...I was expecting a cute and fluffy series, and while I got some of that, the bad outweighed the good.

Madlax
Tries so hard to follow in Noir's footsteps, but winds up as more of a .//hack imitation--long on talking and still pans set to Kujiura music, but short on action. The mysteries and secret revelations are more Rolling Eyes-inducing than exciting or intriguing, and the end just piles up the rediculous clichés and non sequitur developments. This must be my punishment for downloading fansubs of licensed anime.

Sister Princess ~ RePure

I've only seen a few episodes, and I've heard that it is serious/good, but so far, Sister Princess ~ RePure takes the girls who were at least halfway distinctive, lively, and interesting in the main Sister Princess anime, and turns them into weak, defenseless, "I can't function emotionally without [insert term for "Big Brother"] !" girls. It stinks so bad of game fanboy pandering that I can almost smell the sis-con Japanese otaku intended audience from here. But I will watch the rest and see for myself.

Steel Angel Kurumi: Zero

The first season of SAK and the OVAs were great fun with a serious story, the second season was tolerable, but this "Zero" OVA...the more I think about it, the harder it is to avoid this conclusion: "There is no reason for this anime to exist." Seriously, what audience are they going for? All the charm of the Angels from the first season is gone, there's no exploration of the new world around them, there's no fanservice, and there's no story aside from Kurumi angsting over some guy in school. The art is decent, I'll give it that much, but it's certainly on the cheap...overall, I can't imagine the diehard otaku and/or Steel Angel Kurumi fan liking this OVA, and if they don't like it, then who the heck will?
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
A new fav that I have to add to my list thats burried in this thread somewhere is Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, both original and sequal.

I definitely didn't give it much attention when my friend showed it to me at first, being magical girl and all. But I gave it a shot since I needed something to watch over Spring Break.

While show was not amazing or groundbreaking, the feel-good ending and a little more light-hearted approach of this anime was overdue for me (my last several series consists of Saikano, Air, and Elfen Lied). While Nanoha was generic in many ways, it still did it better than some of its counterparts, and had enough differences in it to be a standalone. Nanoha A's was alot better in the action aspect, and the initial story set up. The ending was ok, but that wasnt a big deal. It was a really good change of pace, and I was glad my friend introduced it to me.
logoras05

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
i like a lot of shows but i think my top fav are

Cowboy BeBop: because its really cool show..keeps u interested and has a good flow thorughout the whole series of the episodes. Plus the music is one of the sweetest anime music.

Naruto: i think its good because of the action and plot it has. it just keeps u interested in the show, even though there are things i dont liek to about the show i still enjoy watchin it and them are reason i think its on my top favorite.

Samurai Champloo: i like this show because of it has funny parts and plus the action it has its pretty cool.

Lupin the 3rd: i like it because its not similar to all the other shows and the comedy it has in the episodes.

DBZ: yeh i see people dont liek this show very much but i still think its good and always liked watching it because of the fighting i seen in there.. yeh there really isnt much to the whole show because its mainly about the fighting saving the world type thing but i enjoy watching it

Neon Genesis: i liek teh whole plot of the show and its good watch.

Trigun: i like this show because enterainment and intresting set of charaters in their plus vash is funny at times.

Top 2 most hated animes

Kensin: because of the characters in their and its really overrated

FMA: basically because whole plotline it has
umi amano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
My top 5 animes are:

1.Get Backers > i like it a lot! the characters are very interesting. there are also lots of bishounen in it! most of all, it has good animation and a great story!

2.Shaman King > I think the story's very interesting. So are the characters. The animation is awesome nd so i like it a lot.

3.Naruto > Interesting characters, cool story , lots of bishounens.. what more could i ask?

4.Prince of Tennis > I love the story and I love the characters' ranging personalities. Besides,almost everyone in there is cute.

5.Weiss Kreuz > I love the animation, the story and the seiyuus behind Weiss. Boshounens all the way!

I'm still gonna think of my least 5 anime, if y'all don't mind.. Anime smile:;
shintot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
There is no particular order to my top ten, but it is OBVIOUS that I prefer anime with some comedy. Don't think that it is odd most are in the ANN 100, I do use reviews to my benefit.

Scrapped Princess - A typical middle ages story... with one of the best twists I've seen in any show, ever.

Elfen Lied - Cute little girl who tears apart people, and I mean cute. The past's portrayal shows something completely unexpected to the main character (but not to me).

Rurouni Kenshin - Reverse blade my @ss, with how he swings the blade, a tree wouldn't stand a chance. Kenshin is a mild-mannered ex-assassin (when not the Battousai) whose past he can't leave run far enough from. He and every character are just enjoyable to watch.

Bleach - Originally I saw 3 eps. of this at Otakon:2005, and became instantly hooked. Ichigo, a young man, reluctantly takes on Shiningami powers to protect not only loved ones, but the entire town. There is definitely some "spirit power" which makes drags me in Smile

Full Metal Panic FUMOFFU - This I saw first at Anime Boston and the room quickly became too crowded from the sound of group laughter. Undoubtedly the funniest anime created, IMO.

Saber Marionnette J - Probably not a popular choice, esp. for those who cannot get over it's inherent gayness. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this 3 times through, this one is also very funny...

Cowboy Bebop - Spike, Jet and Faye (but not Ed) give a perfect mixture of resentment and love which keeps them together, or apart, and gives great action and brief hilarity the entire show.

Trigun - Vash doesn't deserve the $$60,000,000,000 on his head, he just happens to either be around when a town is destroyed, or the people chasing him destroy the town.

Slayers - I just love Lina Inverse.

Fullmetal Alchemist - You know why.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notables: Gankutsuou, Black Cat, El Hazard, The Twelve Kingdoms, Berserk, Great Teacher Onizuka, Hellsing and Fruits Basket.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll admit maybe I haven't seen enough "bad anime" to know whether these might actually be considered good.

Blue Gender - Got through only one DVD, someone tell me if it gets any better, because I own them and it's just be a waste not to watch.

Air - Yes, I know this is a wonderfully animated series, with a complex plot, but Misuzu just annoyed me to no end.

Ragnarok - the Animation - The Animation: Absolutely NOT a series I will finish, everything about it is subpar.

Inuyasha - Don't get me wrong, I loved the show, spoiler[but after 167+ episodes and no resolution, kind of made me a little mad! How long will it take to get the mangas fully translated??]

Gantz - Yet another overly dark plot, what the hell is that green guy?! I can't stand this show!
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh just ten makes it so hard, I'm excluding oav and movies just to make this a bit easier. Not in much of an order.

Favorite:
1, Shoujo Kakumei Utena - this will always be my #1 series. It cannot be beaten in any respect. Its originality and complexity will always astound me.

2, Tenshi ni Narumon - weird... so incredibly weird yet interesting. the animation is so beautiful too.

3, Vision of Escaflowne - How can anyone not like this series.. it has everything.

4, Hana Yori Dango - the perfect shoujo romance series imho. The anime is better than the manga and every liveaction version. Just such a great atmosphere is created with animation and music.

5, Gankutsuou - I was thinking almost all new anime were horrible then this one popped in. As a Monte Cristo fan I was delighted by the development and creative animation style of this series.

6, Hunter x Hunter - the perfect shounen adventure formula without having to drag in cliche plot devices.

7, Oniisama E - ah the beautiful melodrama, how I love it.

8, Rurouni Kenshin - I'd put it up here if for the Kyoto arc alone.

9, Card Captor Sakura - seriously, can I live in that universe?... it's got the nicest people. CCS is one of, if not THE, best Clamp series imho.

10, Violinist of Hameln - sure the manga was almost all comedy and the anime was angst to the 7th power.. it was well done... even if it had some of the lowest ratings an anime could get.

*I'd have Noein or Eyeshield on this list but they're still running... ah I didn't get to fit Berserk or FMA amongst others.*

~~~~~~~~
Hated:
1, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - yes I despise it. I love CCS but this series feels so cliche and pointless it hurts. At least the manga had some bold line art to it but the anime didn't even bother to carry that aspect over. Nothing good about it aside from Maaya Sakamoto sings some of the songs.

2, Weiss Kreuz - ahaha the most pointless fluff for girls ever. ~_~

3, 2nd half of Saiyuki and beyond - 2nd half was totally fabricated and incredibly dull... sheesh just get to the freaking west already!

4, Chobits - it's sad to realize the awesome series known as Angelic Layer was made to lead into the dull garbage that is Chobits.

5, Practically every harem anime ever invented.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:57 am Reply with quote
My top 5 movies and top 10 shows/oav, there are plenty of shows still on my currently watching list but I am not sure if any will break into this list. But hey I reserve the right to change these if something does.
Movies from five to one

5.Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Probably the most hype movie (that I remember) in recent memory, and now with R1 version coming out it's only going to get bigger. An interesting story that helps bring most of the characters that FFVII fans have come to love. Still at the end it has one of greatest composer and hearing one-wing angel is just icing on the cake. Also it doesn't hurt that this is by far one of the most beautiful anime out there.

4.Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
After I got back into anime in late 2004 this was one of the movies recommended to me by several people on these boards. This gripping drama is one of few anime titles that I have show to many non anime fans and had lots of positive responses. The ending spoiler[Where the wolf shoots] is one of the most powerful moments I remember from all of anime. His facial progression is so amazing that at one point it seemed like a real show and not an anime.

3.Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Ok 3 2 1 lets Jam! Everything you love about the show and more. The usual fun filled cast that makes you laugh and of course the serious moment make you hold your breath. Vincent and Spikes battle is something to be in awe of. Yoko Kanno score is still one of best, and the English Voice cast is still one of my favorite.

2.Howl's Moving Castle
I don't understand how people think that this is Hayao Miyazaki worst film. I mean it was realistic that Howl wasn’t going to beat Wallace for the Oscar but I don't think that necessary makes Howl less than Spirited Away. Anyways I love this story, and how Bill Crystal gives a great performance that brings fire (pun intended) to this story. And I think that why when I show Howl’s Moving Castle to a group of friends they received it so much better than Spirited Away. I also like how Miyazaki keeps an anti-war feel to the film but he doesn't beat you on the head over and over with it.

1.Princess Mononoke
My first Miyazaki film and to be honest I went into this film expecting a very kiddy story that I would be unable to relate to in anyway. Much like Disney I was dead wrong with the first ten minutes there a battle that is definitely not Mickey friendly. It's a story that for someone who does not care for many environmental issues this story manages to do that and more. A great voice actor cast with Billy Crudup and Claire Danes (yea that Clarie) who are amazing as San and Ashitaka. There just some sort of presence over this movie that makes it somewhat difficult to describe, maybe it’s great because the art is simplistic but yet perfect.

TV/OAV from 10-1

10.Gundam Wing
I had to makes some adjustment to this list once I took sometime to look at it and reflect. And here my conclusion, I can't have my favorites without the show that really started it for me. Gundam Wing was the show that originally pulled me into Japanese animation, and into the whole Mecha genre. Now to the actually show, Gundam Wing while not your typical Gundam series it certainly is a fun series to sit down and watch. The characters I find to be so enjoyable, and I find this dub to be one of my favorite with Brian Drummord doing the voice for Miliardo/Zechs. I really enjoy the story and how each character has to find their own path to walk. Regardless of the ending that I know that was a little cheap, I love this show. It will always have a place on my shelf.

9.Read or Die Both TV/OAV
It's a combination of both the TV series and the original OAV, the OAV is a great story of betrayal and friendship. I also enjoy the set up that feels like a James Bond movie with the British Library. And TV series helps to only further advance this amazing story, but with three sisters who exemplify what it really means to be a family. And not only that there are some cool boss (I guess you call them that) battles that are not only interesting but unique in how the sisters must learn to conquer their foe. And at times I wanted the story to just grow up and be a little more serious, but in the end it’s always tied back to family, and that family is more valuable than anything. Of course I like the idea that R.O.D. TV put out that family doesn’t necessary have to be blood related. Overall a light hearted series that can strike at the heart (TV series does this so very well) at certain times and really show meaning family has.

8..Hack//Sign
This is also a combination of the TV series along with the games and the first two AI Buster novels. I know a lot of people didn’t like the series because it was too slow, but when you look back at the series it was about character development. It was about Tsukasa and the development of Tsukasa as a person within the world, and also learning more about the mysterious online game know as the ‘World’. The two novels AI Buster have help to quench my hunger for more of this series (until the new Hack GU) with more details on how the ‘world’ came to be and also gives a history to some of the most famous characters.

7. Last Exile
What I remember most about this show hearing ‘Last Exile’ coming back from commercial break by every character and some even more than once. Just kidding a great story about completing your goals in life no matter what obstacles stand in from of you. Even with the bizarre ending, it still a story that is worth the ride. I felt that the beginning of this show was a little slow for my taste but, when the supporting characters are finally brought into play, the story takes off literally. This show really hits home with me especially with revenge theme that is present in the series, and in the end do we really need that revenge even if it come at a great cost.

6.Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
This is my guilty show I guess, and every couple of months I am buying the newest Volume (normally the Special Edition) and glue to my TV until the volumes is over. So as you can tell I am still watching the second season; (2nd Gig) and this show is just so well paced, and so well driven (especially the 2nd Gig which has been amazing thus far (up to vol.4)) and the whole complex episode is a great way of advancing storylines while using the standalone episodes to then build on individual characters (or Robots). And towards the end of the first season I actually felt sad for the Tachikoma after everything that happens to them spoiler[ when the Tachikoma give their lives for ‘Mr. Batou’ that was heart tucking even those they were just robots. I mean should I really feel sorry for something that isn't alive? Which is a great theme, what is real? What makes who we are? Are thoughts, are emotions, or are we real because other remember us?] Whomever decided to build on the original Ghost in the Shell, that was a brilliant move providing a show that fascinating as much as it is intense. BTW “I am a Solider” OP for 2nd Gig is one of few opening I actually watch just so I can hear that song.

5.Gankutsuou: The count of Monte Cristo
Now I am normally a Dub man myself (As long as the Dub doesn’t butcher the original message) but I just don’t like this Dub. But hey that alright the original Japanese is awesome! This one of the smartest anime to date, and what a great idea take an original story everyone knows and then spins it a bit. And to quote answerman who put it so perfectly Gankutsuou is
Answeman wrote:
Some series get better and better every episode until you finally start to wonder if they’ll ever plateau. It’s that kind of eternal momentum that characterizes all amazing shows, and Gankutsuou is no exception.
Other things that really make this great is the music; one of the better soundtracks that I occasionally will listen to from time to time. It kinda funny but when you think of story that is based on a well known novel it’s hard to picture how this show will find it own identify, but damn by the time this story is over you will be sad, happy and wondering how they manage to do that; and more importantly why more series aren’t like this.

4.Cowboy Bebop
Ok 3 2 1 Lets Jam! Well I guess I might as well get into it, the music for this series may be the best of all time. It has single handily led me into liking Bebop Jazz, and even a couple of soundtracks from the series are always in my Car CD player. Anyways lets get to the show, Bebop while nearly every episode is standalone from any kind of story arc, you don’t really notice because nearly episode is deeper than skin deep. I finally got the chance to get a hold of the remix DVD and damn does this show kick, see case ‘Ballad of the Fallen Angel’ in 5.1 and you will be born anew.

3.Full Metal Alchemist
Now I know some people are going to be confused that the main character (Edward) is my avatar and yet this show is only my number 3 series. I would probably change my avatar, but hey I like this one, and I keep that avatar in respect to a certain person. Well don’t get me wrong I love this series, it blends a perfect balance between comedy and diving into the morality issues/more serious issues. It just goes to show how a simple series that appears to for kids and can entertaining and yet be so much more.

2.Neon Genesis Evangelion
I remember hearing once that any anime fan in their life should watch Evangelion……at least twice. Now that might have been a corny and a bad joke but it’s so true. The first time I finished watching this series I remembering sitting on my couch thinking that I had skipped an episode or something, luckily for me and millions of other fans there’s the “End of Evangelion” which kind of helps clear things up. I enjoy the movie ending to that of the TV show, but with the TV series you get so much more. This series really made look at anime at another level, because of all the psychological drama. And for me this was one of the first shows I spend time trying to figure out what was going on inside the minds of these characters.

1. Monster
If you didn’t know that this was going to be at the top then you have not spoken to me I guess. Please someone please license this show, I understand why it hasn’t from an economic standpoint, but please the manga has been. But to me this is the greatest show of all times, anime or live action. And for that fact it almost makes me sad to announce that because I don’t know if any show will ever be able to surpass Monster. I wish a larger portion of anime were made like this series, with amazing plot twist, great writing, and character development. Every character has there own quirks that make them unique, make them love them or hate them. The level of detail spent on these details makes the characters come alive. The music for this show is surprisingly fitting and always helps build the suspense, or set a softer tone for the correct moment. I also love Monster because at the end of the day it makes you think, what is a real monster? I came to a conclusion, and it is somewhat scary to think that extend. But at the end of the day ‘The only thing people are truly equal in is death.’
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Last edited by Deltakiral on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
JustlceGundam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
Err.. I favorite usually change, but I'll see if I can remember all my top animes. Wink

1. One Piece
I watch it subbed, of course. This is one of the best shounens out there. It offers some great, unique, and hilarious characters. Luffy, who is just fun to watch. What will he do next? Wink He is so unpredictable. His fights with Crocodile, Enel, spoiler[Aokiji], and spoiler[Lucchi]. Some people only watch one version of OP, so the spoilers are fights that go on later on, mostly after Skypiea. The story is amazing. But like most shounens, simple. I love the different islands they go to, the people they meet, the adventures, and what fights go on.

2. The Slayers
An old series I haven't watched in a long time. Basically, I would want every FMA fan to watch Slayers, just because how much better it is, and how it uses magic correctly. I don't think of the alchemy in FMA as actual alchemy that is told in fables, but just as magic. I find it hilarious and exciting. Each episode is full of jokes that make me crack. The story is enjoyable. Reminds me of Final Fantasy in a way.

3. Eureka seveN
This one has been my favorite for a while. I love it, just because it's so different from other mecha animes. I really MEH! mecha animes. All are the same, but E7 is just so different. With its great writting, and not following all those other mecha cliches. Though Renton sort of can follow it? Eh, he ain't like Shinji and the others I've seen, so i would say he doesn't follow that teen pilot cliche. I love the characters. Eureka, and Renton are adorable together, and even though he is lame, Holland, spoiler[especially in his fight with Charles.]

4. Honey and Clover
Oh, do i love this one. From episode one I was drawn in to it. I thought it had some of the oddest animation, that worked out so well with it. I love how each character is made. This is honestly the only shoujo I've enjoyed.

5. Rurouni Kenshin
It's been a while since I've seen this one, and I saw it on Cartoon network, which isnt saying much. I love the characters and story.
EDIT:
6. Monster!( I can't believe I forgot Monster!)
The most awesome suspenseful anime ever. From the first 4 episodes I was hooked. It grabbed me and never let go. Each adventure, each side story, each character was very well constructed. Johan is by far one of the greatest enemies in anime ever. He tricked me throughout most of the series. Seeing each character go through a certain adventure was great. Runge, and err... and this other guy, i can't remember his name, but 'The Incredible Steiner' was his hero as a child, were all fabulous and I love every last one of them.

I don't really know any other animes to list. But others I like are:
Bleach, School Rumble, End of Evangelion, Kamichu!, Eyeshield 21, and Gundam.

Least favorte:
This will suprise many.
1.)Elfen Lied
I think it's the absolute worst anime ever made. It has a story, but does nothing with it, or does very little with it. 'Diclonius new race that will replace humans,' and 'Find Lucy.' That is all. No real story at all. And when I say it does little with it, I mean they do it so simply. spoiler[New guy comes. Hunts Lucy. He dies. Army comes. Lucy kills them.] that happens in all 13 episodes. Really, nothing at all. The violence is repetitive. it is all the same. spoiler[Lucy chops everyone into pieces, that is all. That happens in every fight.] None of it is new. spoiler[Lucy, chops someone in half. Lucy, chops someone in half. ]Boring! the violence in Berserk is how it's really suppose to be done. The characters are terrible also. They really don't have personality. Kouta's sister or cousin(I dunno), "Omg! I love my brother, but he loves someone else! i'm going to go crazy." That was her character. i honestly didn't see anything else to her character. Each diclonius is suppose to have a sad background story, and Elfen lied has something "special" to it. The way it evokes emotions, and how we care for these characters. That is BS! Every anime series evokes emotion. Elfen Lied is not special. How can i feel sorry for these tortured girls, when they just go and kill everyone? The people they kill have familes. Nana is the only one I could ever evoke emotion too. Kouta is just as lame as they are. This is just like another crap harem. He can't decide who he loves. The whole series he is just thinking, "Lucy, Lucy, Lucy. Lucy." spoiler[Though during his flashback you figure out that he has a connection to her.] But it doesn't help out. His mind is just on her, and where she is, or what she is doing, who is she. His character is just focused on her, most of the time. Mayu is another character I though was good, and had a good flashback. But after her episode, where we figure out about her past, they throw her away. "Ok, you know about her, who cares about her, we will focus on another character now." I think that is what the director was thinking. i thought it was goint o be great. A lot of people on another forum i post on(my name gives away who i am) recommended it to me. I think Elfen lied had a hidden message. How races are discriminated against, and when that happens, you go kill all the people who discrimanate against you. Good message? Give me a break. But sometimes the only way to solve a problem is through violence.

I don't think Elfen Lied is special. Such animes/mangas like Evangelion, Berserk, Honey and Clover, and many others evoke emotion a lot better than Elfen Lied. Which I hear is Elfen Lieds strong point. Blah!

Sorry for my long review. Mad
Others I dislike:
Naruto - I just don't see why so many people like it.
Gravitation- Shounen-ai, not my thing.
Gun X Sword- just lame. There were old people that were like the power rangers, honestly.....
Love Hina- crap harem
pumirya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
5 favorite animes.

1.Ghost in th shell sac-seasons 1,2"so far"
I like the future tones of this anime its action and drama elements are done very nicely as well.The characters and their developement and relations to each other are also a selling point for this anime.

2.witch hunter robin

I liked the dark/gothic tone of the anime.The artwork while probably not the best was to me pretty well done.The suspense and action elements were nice,and even with a strange ending generally a okay story and characters.

3.inuyasha

I like this particular anime because of several things.I have enjoyed watching how the characters evolve and change through the story.How they change in relationships toard each other and the world in general.Of course i like the action/adventure elements of the series.Both the hereos and villians in inuyasha are interesting to watch to me,witch probably cant always be said for a anime.Okay as far as the comedic and romantic threads wolven into the story,they for the mst part are generally well done,and make a nice addition to the various other themes in the show.

4.wolf's rain

I like wolves,so when i came across this anime i was happy.Now why do i like it. I like all the characters how they evolve/change in their actions toward each other through the story,I thought the action elements were pretty good,even if to some the series as a whole may seem to have a bit of a dark tone.I felt that the anime was well drawn as well.Even with a rather strange ending all in all plot was pretty good,and as enjoable to follow to conclusion.

5.trigun

I am a fan of anime first,and i also like westerns.Those two elements as well as others are why i like this series. First i like the hereo vash,and his supporting cast.They were enjoyable to follow,and their evolution from the start to the comclusion of th anime was nice to follow.The villians to me were each different enough to as a whole be interesting,and each one's different abilities were fairly enjoyabel.The comedic elements as well as the moral threads woven into the storyline were a nice touch as well.Last but not least i felt the art style was also pretty icely done.A good anime.

5 anime i don't like...........Going to give it a shot..........

1.Naruto.Just never could get into it.Not my type of ninja anime.

2. fooly cooly Same basic reason as naruto.Maybe its just me i couldn't get into this.I wasn't into the characters and wasn't really interested in what happened to them or the storyline.

3.BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo
Just not me type of anime.I know its action and seems to be well drawn,but i just can't get into the story or characters,Seems a bit silly to me as well.

4. one piece.Maybe not a popular choice,but i'd just rather see a anime"pirate anime" be a little more serious as a whole.Seems a little silly to me,and seems to have a bit to much comedic elements and art style.Again personally story and characters not in my opinion that great.
danth78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm old school -- the most recent anime I really liked was released in the nineties.

Here's my top five:

1) Macross/Robotech: the Macross Saga -- it got me into anime, and it's the best I've ever seen (with the exception of my #2 below). Beautiful story and characters, as well as awesome mecha. Nothing overdramatic, the characters were believable and sounded like adults. The only imperfection in this show is that some of the episodes were animated by a Anime Friend, a crappy studio whos animation looked like garbage.

2) Tenchi Muyo OAV and TV series -- the first OAV is the best anime ever made, period. Perfect animation, awesome opening and closing songs/animations, and absolutely adorable characters. The second OAV is also not bad, but the third OAV (released last year) is crap. The TV Series is also great.

3) Mospeada/Robotech: the New Generation -- Transforming motorcycles! Need I say more? Also, great variable fighter jets, and the Invid/Inbit aliens were cool. Great characters, too, and a mature story. Anime for adults.

After this it gets really hard because I don't like a lot of anime.

4) Bastard -- a loveable jerk for a main character/villain. Yep, in this show, the good guy is bad. How cool is that? Swords & Sorcery set to 80's hair rock.

5) El Hazard: OAV1 -- This show rocked. Beautiful art & animation, and it made me laugh. The TV series is nowhere near as good.

Other animes I enjoyed:

Outlanders
Venus Wars
Kiki's Delivery Service
Gall Force (first three OAVs)
Excel Saga
TwinSkies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Ok, my turn... Shocked

1. Kino no Tabi/Kino's Travels/Kino's Journey:
Subtle, symbolic, and intelligent. I felll in love with this series because of the hidden messages within each episode, and the way Kino handled herself throughout the whole thing - logical, gentle, yet practical. The anime's art style is definitely different from the original illustrations, but the anime's children's book aesthetics definitely adds to the mood - on the outside just another traveller's tale, but a closer look reveals the undertones that this anime wants to speak out.

2. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (both 1st and second season)
The story behind this series just got my attention more than anything else, and is a lovely ballet of philosphy, technology, politics, and just plain kawaii humor (Tachikoma-chaaaaan!). It gets pretty hairy with regards to US politics later on, though...kind of a "Signs of the times" bit...

3. Azumangah Daioh
If I had to find a way to define "Cute and Stupid", it would have to be this series. Not the kind of stupid that leaves you banging your head on a wall, though (I save that for movies like "Dude, Where's My Car?"), this is the good sort that leaves you rolling on the ground in stitches. Thank God I never had a teacher like Yukari-sensei... Laughing

4. Kidou Senshi Gundam (SEED included)
Everything that could be said about this saga has already been said, so I'll comment on SEED. I dunno about the hardcore otakus, but SEED's a pretty ok series to me - I just wish Okawara-kun would come up with better mecha designs - the man's too intent on commercializing the Mobile Suits.

5.Samurai Champloo
When an anime starts using monstrous amounts of J-Rap for its sound track, and is run by the same demented minds that brought us Cowboy Bebop, you know it's gonna be one helluva trip! Good story-writing, but even better humor. The combat sequences ain't nothing to be sneezed at either.

6. Arjuna
A new twist to the Mahou Shoujou genre of anime, a lot of guys I know thought this was too heavy-handed as an environmental message anime. I say "It's about damn time!" It's also an interesting tribute to the Hindu legend of the same name, and Yoko Kanno's music here was just beautifully composed - each song keying in at the right moment to amplify the scene's emotions. Saigo no Mameshiba...

7. Wierd Anime Experiment Excel Saga
I threw my common sense out the window when I watched this. Nothing but random acts of stupidity and senseless spoofs on each episode...and you know...what? It was damn funny! The series will leave you feeling like you just heaved a hammer on your noggin, but at least you'll be laughing.

8.Ahh Megami-sama
One of the pilot "Goddess-Meets-Nice-Guy" series out there, it was also the first title I read through seriously. I love Fujushima's art style, and the story, compared to the later "clones", just feels more sincere, like a poem spoken from the heart.

9.Tokyo Godfathers
Who would've thought the predicament of three hobos would have been this...ridiculous? Very realistic artstyle, and nicely executed story.

10. Whispers of the Heart
One of Studio Ghibli's less famous works, it doesn't have the grandeur of pieces like Mononoke-hime or Spirited Away, but I like its slice-of-life approach, and the way it plays out the feelings of a girl faling in love for the first time. It's honest and fulfilling, and a breath of fresh air compared to the colossaly complex titles out there.

Now for the 5 I'm sending to the crapper:

1. Gunslinger Girl: If I needed to see child soldiers, I'd switch on to CNN talking about the brutality in Uganda, the "Silent War". Glamorizing the use of children like this just disturbs my psyche, almost a mockery of the situation of real kids who have to hold a gun just to stay alive.

2. DBZ
Bad storyline, wierd art, cheesy combat scenes, even cheesier dialogue, and that...HAIR!!!...I've said enough.

3. Naruto
With all due respect to the fans out there, THIS IS NOT THE BEST ANIME THERE IS! It's not the series per se I don't like (in all respects, it's good), it's the hoards of otaku out there who take this series way too seriously that makes my skin crawl. Get a life, guys!

4. Gundam Wing
Wing Boys...'nuff said. on the other hand, Hajime Katoki's reendtion of the Wing was a knockout

5. Ragnarok the Animation
Annoying as hell, and the animation was even worse. If they're going to turn a game into an animated title, could they at least try to keep the physics loyal to the game? As a pRO gamer, I do not approve
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for a while but never went to many websites about it. So hears my top five:

1.) Vandread- I like the vandread series because I really like the characters in it. They all had deep stories from there past and that made things very interesting because you learned something you didn't know before each episode. I also liked the story it was very interesting and real because in real life there is tension between men and women. It also has very nice CG battle scenes with ALOT of explosions, there isn't a battle every episode but enough to make it interesting. Truly one of Gonzo's best works.

2.) Trigun- Trigun is another series with an intriguing plot and complex characters. It also has alot of action and comedy which is a good combination. It's story is very deep and complex.

3.) Wolf's rain- wolfs rain is an anime which at first thought had a weak plot (only because I didn't understand it at the time) but as the series progressed the plot began to be more complex and
I was hooked. It has some very cool action scenes and has very
interesting characters set in a very strange period of time. I was glad to see that the series and plot was a series one which I thought just made it better.

4.) Cowboy bebop- when It first aired on t.v. it got my attention quickly because I like anime series that are set in space. It is true that the story at times does seem like that the creators were making it up as they went, but by the middle of the series you see a connection with some of the story. There are episodes that don't have a connection to spikes story but the series is mostly about the lives of these two bounty hunters ( spike and jet- his partner). None the less it is an excellent series.

5.) Neon Genesis- Neon Genesis is the best mech series with one of the most complex plots I've seen. The story is at first glance straight foward, it's the end of the world and the last humans are trying to defend themselves from entities know as "angles" who are responsible for the destruction. But as more and more characters are introduced into the fold the story begins to get hard to follow but if you don't miss an episode you should understand it. It has cool combat scenes and a good selection of characters which all have unique traits and background stories that help the series move along. All around it is the deepest anime I've seen.

I dont have much of an opinion on the anime I dont like so i just listed a few:

1,) naruto- they had something with this anime but I couldn't get into this anime.

2) Inuyasha- they played it out to long.

3.) one piece- not very serious

Last edited by omar235 on Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
RecklessFire2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Oooh Anime...
<Not in any specific order>
1. Scryed
I think it's because of the kick butt action scenes and the different alters.

2. Love Hina
Mostly because of how funny it is to see Keitaro's antics. And Su, you got to love Su.

3. Naruto
I like the ninja action and the different jutsus are interesting to see.

4. Ranma 1/2
Just because it is sooo funny.

5. One Piece
I like the different cursed fruit powers and I love to see Luffy act so clueless but then so dependable and strong.

Worst
<Not in any specific order>

1. Pokemon
I dislike that all the pokemon trainers do is stand there and have animals do thier fighting for them. The amount of different seasons is pathetic. I don't even like to classify this as an Anime at all.

2. Reboot
Hopefully someone remembers this one... No particular reason for not liking this one.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh!
I used to like this one but then I came to see how childish it is.

Arrgh! I just can't think of any more!! Anime dazed
DemonDragonJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
I have seen so much anime in my short nineteen years of life that it is difficult to decide which series I like the most.

In reverse order, my top ten favorite anime series are:

10. Dragon Ball Z. This show was at one time my number one favorite series, but now it is at the bottom of my list. In spite of its lackluster story and characterization, it had awesome fight scenes and did have a few good plot twists. For those of you who say that this show is bad, I say differently; it was Dragon Ball GT that ruined the franchise.

9. Digimon: Digital Monsters seasons 1 and 2. I enjoy this series because it had awesome battle scenes between monsters of great power, a cast in which no two characters were exactly alike, and a much better storyline than what one usually sees in an anime targeted at younger audiences. Plus, the first two seasons had the best villains (specifically Myotismon and Ken Ichijoji).

8. Yu-Gi-Oh!; Duel Monsters. This anime is highly reminiscent of Digimon, only better. It has a large cast of complex characters, each with their own story to tell and reasons for doing what they do. The story may seem typical at first, but it has numerous twists that will leave its audience wondering what happens next. My only two complaints about this series are that all the "battles" were card games, and that the English version has terrible voice acting and horrible edits. But that is more than balanced out by the presence of my absolute favorite anime villain, Yami Marik.

7. Tenchi Muyo! This series is one of those rare few series that has a strong blend of action and romance. None of the characters are dull or lackluster, the story is strong and neither to long nor to short, and of course, it has no less than six good-looking females who all have at least a mild interest in the lead male character. My only complaint here is that Tenchi continuously resists the advances of the women as if he were afraid of them for some reason.

6. Cardcaptor Sakura. Another series that possesses the rare combination of action and romance, this series appeals to me because of its beautiful character designs and continuously shifting storyline. My only complaint about this series is that I have seen only the English version, with poor voice acting and numerous edits.

5. Princess Mononoke. This movie has an excellent story with well-developed characters. Plus it was writted by Hayao Miyazaki, the "Walter Disney" of Japan. I have no complaints about this one.

4. Bible Black. This series has not only the best plot of any hentai anime that I have ever seen; it also has the best sex scenes of any hentai anime that I have ever seen! What else could one possibly ask for? My only complaints here where that this series invloves women being abused and tortured, thankfully only mildly, and that there is a woman who with certain male body parts.

3. Scrapped Princess. I love midieval fantasy stories, but not many anime series fall into that category. This series has excellent character and plot development, and an awesome twist later in the series. The only thing that I did not like about it was that it did not have enough fight scenes.

2. Full Metal Alchemist. Definitely the most popular anime in the United States since DBZ and Pokemon, this show has it all; action, comedy, drama, and some slight romance. Nothing else needs to be said. My only problems with this series are that the relationship between Edward and Winry was not developed fully, and that spoiler[Ed and Al have not yet returned to their own world.]

1. Bleach. This is the BEST anime series that I have ever seen, without a doubt. It has action, it has drama, it has comedy, it has romance, it has a cast full of well-developed characters, and it also has an incredible story with the two biggest plots twists I have ever seen, which I will not spoil here. Plus it has Byakuya Kuchiki, my current favorite Japanese anime character. My only complaint about this series is that the anime is currently in a filler arc that is ruining the manga.

My five least favorite anime series are, in reverse order.

5. Digimon: Digital Monsters seasons 3 and 4. The second two seasons did not have the creativity and originality of the first two; the story and characters were not as well-developed, and the monsters themselves were becoming somewhat campy.

4. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. This sequel to the original Yu-Gi-Oh! does not have anything that the original possessed; it has flat, narrow characters, cheesy fight scenes, and a slow, clunky plot.

3. Dragon Ball GT. It stark contrast to its illustrious predecessor, this show sacrifices plot and character development for campy battle scenes. The ending, however, was the best ending that I have ever seen in an anime.

2. Pokemon. I used to watch this seres, but I grew bored of how every single episode was exactly like the one before it and how none of the characters ever grew older or more mature.

1. Night Shift Nurses. This is definitely the WORST hentai anime I have ever seen. The creator of this show must have some serious mental problems. The main character is an evil doctor who does the most horrible unspeakable acts to the women at his hospital, the women are powerless against him, and the show contains some disgusting depictions of boldily functions. I hate this show so much. Even though the evil doctor does eventaully get what he deserves, the women's lives are forever scarred by his heinous acts.

Wow! What an extensive list!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 122