• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Samurai Ecks vs. Sever

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etiehr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most Western "anime fans" have probably never seen it, much less the entire series.

Proud to say I have seen every Universal Century anime installment twice over. <3
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, I'm sure there's some manga out there, somewhere, that was picked up by another English-language publisher, but whatever it is, it's so relatively obscure that I've certainly never come across it, either in my research or elsewhere.

Chuang Yi Publishing out of Singapore has some of the defunct CMX and ADV Manga titles. I also think Spriggan from VIZ (that was released in a selected format) was put out in all 11 volumes.
http://www.chuangyi.com.sg/new2/listallone.php

I've also seen the original Moblie Suit Gundam. But, like I said last week, I'm older.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
not sure if answerman doesn't get many question or i just ask really good ones. I've had every questions i've sent in be answered the same week. (about 6 questions now)

also I've also seen all the gundam series
lys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Quote:
Of course, I'm sure there's some manga out there, somewhere, that was picked up by another English-language publisher, but whatever it is, it's so relatively obscure that I've certainly never come across it, either in my research or elsewhere.

Chuang Yi Publishing out of Singapore has some of the defunct CMX and ADV Manga titles. I also think Spriggan from VIZ (that was released in a selected format) was put out in all 11 volumes.
http://www.chuangyi.com.sg/new2/listallone.php

I appreciate that link! I knew of Chuang Yi (finished Venus in Love with the last three volumes of their edition) but hadn't seen the full list of what they've published in English—I see a couple titles I'd be interested in checking out someday (if I can get over the hurdle of shipping prices, etc).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Does the animation style suit the subject matter - is my reasoning.
I mean, if you did a gritty crime drama but animated it in the style of "K-On" then it would seem a bit odd and lack gravitas.

But I like experimentation. I loved the slightly retro look of Mysterious Girlfriend X. I really loved the episodes of Zetsubou Sensei where they used different types of animation (The "Mystery Train" sequence is one of the most wonderful things I've seen, and it's completely not like any other anime).

I LIKE the look of Flowers of Evil - and I suspect it suits the storyline, from what i've heard of it. It's different, and interesting.

Then again, I am an old fart who grew up watching old British animations like Captain Pugwash (done with cardboard cutouts) and Roobarb (drawn in felt tip), - tell that to kids today and they won't believe you.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Because Media Blasters no longer has the Rurouni Kenshin license, as part of their new strategy to release nothing but hentai and weird Japanese live-action movies with lots of gore and stuff.

Actually, MB's Kitty Media just started up again—they released no hentai last year and barely any in 2011.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Quote:
Because Media Blasters no longer has the Rurouni Kenshin license, as part of their new strategy to release nothing but hentai and weird Japanese live-action movies with lots of gore and stuff.

Actually, MB's Kitty Media just started up again—they released no hentai last year and barely any in 2011.

And what they did release was awful Vanilla Series trash, and I believe that's all they'd continue to release and rerelease in the future. Outside of Germany, hentai licensing is dead. And I am not speaking in speaking hyperbolics. You haven't seen the release of a new decent hentai since 2008. And the problem with the German releases is that they all look utterly terrible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
*Raises hand* I've also seen every Gundam series. I'm quite proud of this.

As for the Flowers of Evil, being artsy and trying something new is commendable and all, but if the result looks like crap, as Flowers of Evil does imo, it's a wasted effort.

If I was in it for the story I'd just read the manga.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Outside of Germany, hentai licensing is dead. And I am not speaking in speaking hyperbolics. You haven't seen the release of a new decent hentai since 2008.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Razz
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:
Outside of Germany, hentai licensing is dead. And I am not speaking in speaking hyperbolics. You haven't seen the release of a new decent hentai since 2008.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Razz

from a certain perspective, it is
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
A 'classic' is something that has withstood the test of time, which is why the phrase 'An instant classic!' is a oxymoron. Actually, it is a bit more than that. A classic is a piece of art that over the years, people have come to a consensus is worth saving and continuing. Anime fandom is still too new, to young, to have pulled together that consensus yet, but it will come. But, yeah, even if the fans today where eight when Cowboy Bebop came out -- (personally, I was twelve) -- it's still too fresh to really categorize. Ask the same question in fifteen years and you might have an answer.

Speaking of classics, I think that thirty years from now, people will still be talking about Flowers of Evil. However, I couldn't make it through five minutes without turning it off. Sometimes people ask what drew us to spend our time watching cartoons from half-way around the world. My response is the artistic style. I love the anime style, the eyes, the faces, the hair, and I love watching it. Flowers is just too ugly for me to tolerate. This is a callback to the original poems of Baudelaire (which I own a copy). These poems were written to use a beautiful medium to show something ugly and disturbing. This Flowers too is shockingly ugly, but it lacks something the poems do have--the poems are entertaining. The anime was as boring as all hell. I was grasping for a reed, anything, to save me from the onrushing stream of ugliness, but there was nothing there for me to latch on to. I have to do the same thing I did when I tried to read Finnegans Wake. Shake my head, put it down, and say, 'I'm sure there are people out there that will love and understand this, but I am not one of them, so I will leave this in their hands and return to domains more fitting for me.'
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Then again, classic doesn't always mean universally loved. I could have down without having to suffer Pride and Prejudice or the Scarlet Letter.
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
A classic is a piece of art that over the years, people have come to a consensus is worth saving and continuing.

It doesn't have to be good.. just something old. Anything older than 20 years can be called a 'classic' if you want Laughing
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
People talking about watching Cowboy Bebop when they were 8 makes me feel old. I was already grown when CB came out. When I was 8, Reagan was still president, Saturday morning cartoons were still huge, the first TMNT cartoon was the biggest kid's show on TV, Nickelodeon was still a young network that had yet to have any original animated programming, and as for anime I was watching Voltron on the USA Cartoon Express. Of course, we didn't really recognize it as anime. It was just another cartoon.

The first time I really got into anime and recognized it as its own style was in my teen years when the Sci-fi Channel had their Saturday Anime block, which lasted through much of the 90s, and then I watched Toonami religiously when it came out and kept following it through its entire 11 year original run. By time anime on home video started to emerge, I was already working full time. I remember renting Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and Escaflowne from a local anime shop, and Ninja Scroll and the first GitS movie from Blockbuster, all on VHS.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
I always suspected something was up with the initial Mobile Suit Gundam airing on CN. They say they pulled it because of 9/11, but they didn't pull any number of other action cartoons airing at the time, and they didn't resume it until much later, starting at the first episode on an AS weekend block and then pulling it again. They couldn't have given it one full run?

Right after 9/11, we just accepted whatever we were told. Cancelling 0079 a few episodes from completion was bullshit.

Also, all English dubs for Rurouni Kenshin have been horrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2