• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Mostly Harmless Dirty Old Men

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Somehow I knew Happosai would be #1 on the list. He's also the strongest example of how tired and annoying that trope can get after a while since that's pretty much all he does whenever he's on screen and it dragged down some of the later seasons of Ranma 1/2 after his appearance.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly Russia Sushi (Durarara) had really bad food. So why would anyone want to go there of all restaurants?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
If I remember correctly Russia Sushi (Durarara) had really bad food. So why would anyone want to go there of all restaurants?

Maybe because Simon wants you to come. Laughing
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I recall in the anime Rei's grandpa hit on anyone he found attractive to the point where he once hired Jadeite to work at the temple (wherein he ensnared girls with the rumored 'Bus to hell'). Twisted Evil I agree with this list 100%.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I actually began to hate Ranma as time went on because of how many episodes were devoted to Happosai. So he's not harmless if he can cause dislike in a series. This is why I think everyone who's nostalgic about Ranma hasn't seen it since 1997, and they've forgotten how utterly goddamn annoying it can be. I'd have replaced him with Cherry from Urusei Yatsura, who should have fit the same trope, but actually is harmless, but the humor comes from everyone being creeped out by him regardless.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Where in the world is Mr. Kimura? The teacher that literally shouted to his class spoiler[ "I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS THAT'S WHY!!"] he's one of the creepiest creepers in anime! Mad
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Where in the world is Mr. Kimura? The teacher that literally shouted to his class spoiler[ "I LIKE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS THAT'S WHY!!"] he's one of the creepiest creepers in anime! Mad

I was wondering that too, but maybe he's not considered 'old'? He's certainly younger than most everyone on this list at any rate, other than maybe Mr. Cat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind having a sexy and tsundere girl as my King, if I was a demon.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:

It saddens my heart a little that the only establishment which could conceivably be (and quite certainly would be) listed in a 'good food guide' is languishing at #9 in the list.

And as for #1, fast food is (bland) fast food is (boring) fast food is... ...even if I am a big fan of Working! as a show. (Though I'm an even bigger fan of Ristorante Paradiso.)
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I remember an episode of Sailor Moon where that mopey dude that hangs out on the shrine (Yuuichiro?) was all depressed because he thought that Rei got herself a boyfriend. Anyway, Rei's Grandpa decides to show the guy how to pick up chicks to break him out of his funk. So they go downtown and Gramps starts shouting "Hey, Hey, Kanojo!" at every girl with a pulse, i.e the shotgun approach to dating. One of my favorite 'dirty old man' scenes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:

For the scenery? Shizuo seemed to hang out there more than at his actual job, and there's always the possibility of a Headless Biker sighting.

The first dirty old man that popped into my head was Myoga from InuYasha. His lust was for blood, not sex, and he was an equal opportunity sucker, though he prefered them young, but he always managed to make his meals sound sleazier than anything that Miroku ever said.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I knew Master Roshi and Happosai would make the list, they're the most perverted characters in the history of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:

I was wondering that too, but maybe he's not considered 'old'? He's certainly younger than most everyone on this list at any rate, other than maybe Mr. Cat?

In cat years Mr Cat is very old Wink

One for my favourite dirty old man scenes is Bulma flashing Roshi her panties in exchange for a Dragonball but with Roshi getting more than he bargained for.

Side note Simon told me to vote for Russia Sushi, I didn't fancy my chances if I didn't do what Simon said... "Eat Russian Sushi."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I thought at first that Undertaker from Black Butler should be on that list, but then I realized, a) if by "dirty" you mean sexual, he's not exactly that (hahaha if he were just perving that would be less creepy). b) a lot of people choose to see him as bishounen, not... creepy old guy, and most importantly c) he is not harmless. spoiler[ He beat 3 of the most powerful characters at the same time.] Yeah.

But that poll... that is cruel. How could I choose between Yuuri, Maoh, and Sadao? . . . *chooses Sadao because I'm not mentally prepared for that show to end next week* But I love them all!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
At least Roshi was still doing stuff before DBZ became "Sayains only" I still remember World's Strongest and him having to fight off 3 bioweapons. Half expected the crowd to go "You still got it!"

Happosai however, that was his entire character, being a perv. And like most things Ranma related, the joke dragged out to the point of exhaustion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3