• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tomokazu Sugita, Megumi Hayashibara, Tohru Furuya Cast in Pacific Rim Film's Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nunzia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
Definitely gonna watch this in japanese!!!
Sugita Tomokazu in such a big shot movie...can't wait for the DVD! *w*
Btw the official Japanese trailer actually came out like a week ago, and you can clearly hear Sugita-san narrating Anime smile
Here:

Official Japanese Trailer - Japanese Dub version
sarroush

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
The trailer they put up on the page is an English one with JP subs...
Nunzia's is the real JP dub.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Seem fitting that Megumi Hayashibara is in this since this movie is one big love-letter to Evangelion.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely buy the movie via Amazon.jp if it's a bilingual release over there (I presume that it will be, even if the subs are only Japanese). That list of seiyuu is far too good to pass up. ^^
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Seem fitting that Megumi Hayashibara is in this since this movie is one big love-letter to Evangelion.

+1
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It's like a who's who of mecha anime: Amuro Ray, Char Aznable, Shige from Patlabor, the narrator from Shin Mazinger, and Rei Ayanami.

I really hope this movie doesn't bomb, especially with a vague, bizarre title like "Pacific Rim" (sounds like a documentary title to me).

Animeking1108 wrote:

Please, it's clearly a love letter to Robot Jox.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Zump wrote:

I really hope this movie doesn't bomb, especially with a vague, bizarre title like "Pacific Rim" (sounds like a documentary title to me).

Fans have been expecting this for awhile, so it's already familiar.

Zump wrote:

Animeking1108 wrote:

Please, it's clearly a love letter to Robot Jox.

So I'm not the only one who remembers that. Laughing
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

For some reason I was expecting her for voicing Mako. Seems that someone in the Japanese dubbing casting dept. is a big fan of EVA.
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I love Hayashibara, but can't Rinko Kikuchi dub her own voice? I wasn't even sure if she spoke English.

Shame I haven't heard Hayashibara in too many recent roles, really bugs me.

A lot of people online think Pacific Rim looks like Sym-Bionic Titan (which I love) but here I hear Eva. Does it specifically look like either of those two or is it just similar to robot anime in general?
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

A lot of people online think Pacific Rim looks like Sym-Bionic Titan (which I love) but here I hear Eva. Does it specifically look like either of those two or is it just similar to robot anime in general?

Pacific Rim getting compared with Evangelion has become so commonplace on the net that it's become annoying, especially since Pacific Rim hardly references Eva in the places where it matters. Del Toro has specifically mentioned his references, like Tetsujin-28 and the Kaiju genre in general, and screenwriter Travis Beacham mentions Big-O by name. Yet for some reason, people see the premise of "giant robots fighting giant monsters", and then leap to "Evangelion" almost immediately, sometimes despite knowing better.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
By the looks of the film,it looks like this film could have been inspired by the "Power Rangers" and "Godzilla." I'm not sure where "Evangelion" fits in here myself. But,I agree with the guy who said why couldn't the Japanese dub cast have included Rinko Kikuchi herself. She's Japanese. Why on earth couldn't they have included her?
Megumi Hayashibara is a good voice actress but why on earth couldn't they have gotten Ms. Kikuchi herself? She would have fit the role to a T.
soul.assassin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
More likely -- Kikuchi may possibly be speaking English in this movie, a far cry from her international debut in Babel,
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
soul.assassin wrote:
More likely -- Kikuchi may possibly be speaking English in this movie, a far cry from her international debut in Babel,

He was talking about the Japanese dub, not the original version. She could dub herself in Japanese without problems. In fact, foreign actors who worked in Hollywood dubbed themselves when their movies reach their home countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1