• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenchi OVA 3 ending theme online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eva-01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi is awsome! its my 2nd fav. i need to check that out Surprised
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:46 am Reply with quote
Regarding the new opening theme sequence, also on that site... the instrumental tune isn't as strong as the original instrumental Tenchi Muyo theme, in my opinion, of course, but I did notice that the "fast" and "slow" bits seemed to have been timed to correspond pretty much exactly with the "fast" and the "slow" bits of the original theme, and it ends with a "flourish" too. Part of me does wish they'd just go with the original opening theme music with new animation, maybe "sexed up" a little so that you'd have to buy a new soundtrack album regardless, but I guess that would be weird to go back considering they didn't use the original theme for the second OVA either. (Well, "Boku wa Motto Pioneer" is a decent song... if you're in the right mood.) Parts of the opening animation seem to be still pictures and I'm afraid I did find that a little "cheesy", though, to be fair, it may look better on a television screen, and they may have been using still pictures to fill in spots where the animation wasn't quite finished. I do like the "transparent negative" nude pictures of both Ryoko and Ayeka, though... I swear that I can almost make out certain things on Ayeka.

The opening does seem to hint that Tenchi's dead mother will somehow have some bearing on the plot... not really a spoiler, since that fact's been up on their site for a while (and reported in a line or two on every English language news site I've seen), and I don't know how she comes into the plot. It may be more brief flashbacks for all I know. I guess, since her name's "Kiyone", that's the final nail in the coffin for any prospect of my favourite Tenchi character, the Galaxy Police Detective First Class Kiyone, appearing "officially" in the OVA continuity. (The events seen in the Mihoshi Special never actually happened, according to the disclaimer on the back of the LD, and Manatsu no Eve/Daughter of Darkness was a mix n' match continuity with elements of both the OVA and TV series.) Well, I have quite the uniform fetish, so I like Kiyone best. (Mihoshi reminds me far too much of my ditzy Grade 9 English teacher.) But I'm really just Steve Brandon, not the "real" Tenchi, so my choice in Tenchi women is fairly irrelevant (though I wish it wasn't). Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:06 am Reply with quote
"Well, I have quite the uniform fetish, so I like Kiyone best."

I could have happily lived the rest of my life without knowing this.

Now I'll just wake up screaming every night.
-Zac
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:06 pm Reply with quote
What is far more scary is that there is a person like Mihoshi out there.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:00 pm Reply with quote
people like Mihoshi.....I've see that type all the time......hell I roomed with a Male version of the uber ditz(scary huh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for more of ryoko. I like bad girls. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1