• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun S eps 1-12

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely appreciating the adaptation JC Staff have been doing so far as it's quite faithful. Otherwise, looking forward to the upcoming episodes. Also curious to wonder if Misaki will make apperances again....considering her rather early debut.

Also, I'm quite grateful the way ITEM's fight was handled against Misaka in the Sister's Arc. Oh Frenda Laughing

I'm expecting a new OP song soon but the current one is also one my favorites from the Spring Season. Fripside ftw~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, i found Railgun S one of the best things to watch especially the fight between Mikoto and Team ITEM.

Seeing the events of the Sister's Arc from Mikoto's perspective gives viewers a new light about her during that time before Touma's arrival.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Yea I've always enjoyed Railgun more better because Misaka is so much more a better character (which is a personal opinionated statement). Which makes me agree with the person above me - the fight between her and ITEM was far more enjoyable than the ones with Touma.

Truly enjoy the adaptation they did with this. love it.
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yea I've always enjoyed Railgun more better because Misaka is so much more a better character (which is a personal opinionated statement). Which makes me agree with the person above me - the fight between her and ITEM was far more enjoyable than the ones with Touma.

each to his own, there is actually very little difference between the two series in all aspects (since they both have the same writer).

now excuse me while i rant about touma
spoiler[
touma is a character that lost his memory and has a hard time finding his place in-between the two vast worlds. the point is he doesn't have much of a character but the fundaments of his personality are still there and he develops from that.
sure he sounds preachy but it works well in the LN when he has a extremly round about way of expressing his thoughts and then just shouts it in a very clear and so simple format. the perfect attitude for a complex situation thrown at your everyday high-schooler.

arguably a much better premise than your run of the mill tsundere, then again the two of them are very similar characters when you get down to it.]

i was a bit cautious after the new direction the first railgun season took but the current episodes appear to have gone back on the right track and generally excelled in all elements of the story. but i'll wait till this arc finishes to produce a finalised opinion, anyway so far so good and keep up the good work JC
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoying this season and I"m suprrised how light the fanservice has been compared to the previous season and Index. If I'm not mistaken they even left out Touma's observation that the clones don't wear shorts. I wonder if the law changes in Tokyo had anything to do with that?

And the less Haruue appears in the show the better.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The longer that Saten, Uiharu, and the other useless girl are out of the spotlight of Railgun the better it'll be. Disappointed that the next arc will be filler.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When is it acceptable for a series to deviate from an established, successful formula? When the franchise's most compelling storyline and some of the franchise's most high-powered esper-on-esper battles to date are involved.

Total number of higher power esper fights : zero. but it could always change as Touma is up next. Oh right...

Let's examine, shall we?

Frenda has no powers, by the time Mikoto reached Meltdown, she herself had no power and the only way that whatever Railgun and Accelerator had could be called a "fight" is..

If is was meant to be an excuse for her not try again. Good god, it was the equivalent of two dogs barking at each other than a "shounen battle". She tried, she failed, she moved on.

If only every other shounen series were like this then we wouldn't have any...

I've come to the conclusion that this season was failed due to misapplied recursive canon. It didn't have to fail, if Mikoto stuck to the actual plot of trying to stop the experiment rather than trying to stop Academy City then even if her attempts were doomed by canon, at least she would stayed in character.

You know, "plucky determinator made of electroshock" rather than a "defensive reactor" who spent many episodes running around in circles.

No, things had to be done in a certain way and a computer dictated that Railgun would lose to Accelerator in every fight {Whatever happened to "Never tell me the odds?" Oh right, this isn't her heroic story. Gurren Lagann characters would have a field day with that one...} and she believed it and so characteristics changed and I've already discovered the reviewer doesn't want to consider why Mikoto's "Out of Character" experience was necessary. Or is it just the who was used to fluff out her side of the story?

Anyway, C execution of a D story. It could have been a contender instead of a bum. Which it is, let's face it...

{On the Waterfront, courtesy of Red Dwarf. Don't know why...}
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
by the time Mikoto reached Meltdown, she herself had no power

How exactly do you think she was able to use Frenda's dolls against Meltdowner? You are not very observant.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
No, things had to be done in a certain way and a computer dictated that Railgun would lose to Accelerator in every fight {Whatever happened to "Never tell me the odds?" Oh right, this isn't her heroic story. Gurren Lagann characters would have a field day with that one...} and she believed it and so characteristics changed and I've already discovered the reviewer doesn't want to consider why Mikoto's "Out of Character" experience was necessary. Or is it just the who was used to fluff out her side of the story?

Anyway, C execution of a D story. It could have been a contender instead of a bum. Which it is, let's face it...

I think you have utterly missed the point of everything going on this season if that's what you truly believe. Mikoto has not been out of character for a second, and I challenge you to provide me with specific, appropriately spoiler-tagged examples to the contrary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
If I'm not mistaken they even left out Touma's observation that the clones don't wear shorts. I wonder if the law changes in Tokyo had anything to do with that?

I doubt it, since they made certain to provide viewers with a lovingly-rendered shot of 9982's blue-and-whites in episode 5.

Megiddo wrote:
The longer that Saten, Uiharu, and the other useless girl are out of the spotlight of Railgun the better it'll be.

Coincidentally, I feel the same way about ITEM.
OAS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Railgun S is far and above the previous season considering JC Staff's actually doing such a stellar job of adapting the source material where it counts. The fight scenes this season have been brilliant.

It's just kind of sad that in the first season they decided to confuse anime viewers into thinking that Saten, Uiharu and even Kuroko played a bigger role in Railgun than they were supposed to, so people who were expecting more CUTE ACADEMY CITY GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS were disappointed and began to complain about how seemingly dark Railgun S ended up being.

I'm still hoping for Liberal Arts City since it'll allow for plenty of fanservice while still being a decent arc, and a canon one at that. Perhaps the filler following Sisters will just be to pass the time or something... it'd be a bit of a shame to cut LAC out after hinting at it with the swimsuit purchasing and whatnot.

And speaking of the manga, people should really read it. Fuyukawa Motoi does a great job, apart from some art inconsistency and EYEBROWS early on.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
by the time Mikoto reached Meltdown, she herself had no power

How exactly do you think she was able to use Frenda's dolls against Meltdowner? You are not very observant.

No, he was right (though he was clearly using a bit of a hyperbole as yes technically, she had a little bit left). She was severely drained and actually resorted to the doll tactic precisely because she didn't have that much strength left. I don't think it came off very well in the anime how exhausted she was even before Frenda, but she basically had hardly any sleep or food for days and was already running on fumes.

The fight against Mugino was impressive mainly because Mikoto managed to win without really being able to use her powers, and not because it was some awesome clash between 2 full power level 5s. It actually to me seems to be alluding to the idea that some one with far less power can beat a level 5 in top form with strategy and planning.
maus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The longer that Saten, Uiharu, and the other useless girl are out of the spotlight of Railgun the better it'll be. Disappointed that the next arc will be filler.

For me it's the same. That whole "CUTE ACADEMY CITY GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS" was getting very stale.
I hated that in the first Railgun, and I'm glad Railgun S is focusing on the action and the plot instead.
I hope there won't be a lot of fillers after this...

Last edited by maus on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Emerje wrote:
If I'm not mistaken they even left out Touma's observation that the clones don't wear shorts. I wonder if the law changes in Tokyo had anything to do with that?

I doubt it, since they made certain to provide viewers with a lovingly-rendered shot of 9982's blue-and-whites in episode 5.

Eh, one panty shot hardly compares to several scenes of just-covered-enough naked middle schoolers in the first season or the numerous Touma 'unlucky moments' in both seasons of Index. They definitely seemed to be cutting down this season.

Let's see what Kuroko is wearing in the next beach episode.

Emerje
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

My thoughts exactly, when I found out after watching Index S1 that a new series would be released based on Mikoto I thought it would be awesome... and that lasted until the 3rd episode. I watched the rest of the series just to confirm that it was a big letdown.

The only good thing that Railgun left me was the 1st OP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2