• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spam Bots

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Normally I didn't mind the the spam bots since it was like one a week, but lately it's been like 3-4 a day and it's a little out of hand. Is there anyway to make registering for a user name more protected against this?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:01 am Reply with quote
I know some forums that require 5 or 10 replies before they let the user open new posts, might seem a bit extreme but it does work to an extent. I've noticed it too, of course I start my browsing in the early mornings so I tend to catch them before the mods do. They have been really excessive lately, and it seems many are coming from the same source. There are some options other forums use, I don't think any are necessarily spamproof but anything that might cut down the number per day at least is a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quote
We've come up with an effective way to deal with these bots, but we currently have a major programming project (Fruits of which you'll see later this week) that we have to finish before we can implement it.

-t
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
We've come up with an effective way to deal with these bots, but we currently have a major programming project (Fruits of which you'll see later this week) that we have to finish before we can implement it.

-t

I hope it's the new Encyclopedia Very Happy. That'd be a great way to start off the New Year!

As for the bots, yeah. I've noticed a lot of them. I just woke up this morning to find 5 or 6 reports of spam. But oh well, like life, this site is always a work in progress. Just gotta' be patient and things will eventually work out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

I hope it's the new Encyclopedia Very Happy. That'd be a great way to start off the New Year!

Sorry. We're working on a major project. The encyclopedia is a gargantuan project.

Look for that mid 2007. In fact 75% of Dan's time between the end of this project, and the release of Encyc v2.0 will be encyc 2.0... if not more.

-t
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

Ok thank you for the information, I can't wait to see this new project in action.
zliplus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

Oooh, later this week? That's only a few days - the suspense is killing me already!

Keonyn wrote:
I know some forums that require 5 or 10 replies before they let the user open new posts, might seem a bit extreme but it does work to an extent.

Wouldn't that just make the spambots spam inside pre-existing posts, which is worse since it's harder to find and deal with? I'd rather have the spam in obvious single posts than hidden inside a thread I'm actually reading.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but a lot of spambots just aren't that smart. But yes, that's always a possibility although that doesn't seem to happen much on the forums I visit that have such regulations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps ANN can do what Yahoo does when registering for an account?
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
Perhaps ANN can do what Yahoo does when registering for an account?

May well work, although I occasionally get those things wrong... (Curse my poor character recognising brain.) And as this Wikipedia article shows computers are getting better at reading them.

Soon they will be so obscure that I cannot read them, but computers will have advanced enough so that they still can. Wink

Lets just wait and see what the exciting new changes bring.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
If I remember right, I have to log out to check, but ANN has one of those "Enter the stuff in the box." Besides, most spam bots can get around it now.

ADD ON: Yeah, there is a Confirmation code when people Register. Heck, Spambots get though Yahoo code everyday. It keeps some out, but not all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
If I remember right, I have to log out to check, but ANN has one of those "Enter the stuff in the box." Besides, most spam bots can get around it now.

ADD ON: Yeah, there is a Confirmation code when people Register. Heck, Spambots get though Yahoo code everyday. It keeps some out, but not all.

Take a look at the PWNtcha project page. ANN forum is powered by phpBB with its greyscale captcha, which is very easy to break (97%). Yahoo's captcha is one of those tougher captchas that are not easily decoded by automated programs, but using them is probably not possible besides Yahoo's own websites because of copyright issues.

I wonder why no captcha has tried to rotate the text 90-degrees or even 180-degrees.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
*LOL* Some of those are too hard to read. I had to break out the Magnifier to see them. Even more so for this one.

Atleast it'll keep non-meta humans out of our top secret anime board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
Is there something about this time of year when these bots go wild? I post at another forum that's experiencing the same wave of spam. Hell, I've even seen some bots appear here and over there, with the same user name and whatever spam it brings.
patch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen this thread:

Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans on PHPBB's support forum?

It's very helpful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1