• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Cringe-Worthy Villain Deaths

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
damn, i didn't know ANN writer(s)watch School Days
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
You can dislike School Days and still want to see Makoto die.

I've always thought Liang Qi's death in Canaan was particularly brutal.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
damn, i didn't know ANN writer(s)watch School Days

I, uh, have interesting tastes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda indifferent to Light's death, but then again, I'm one of the seemingly few fans who, while loving that series (the manga more-so however), I hated Light with a passion. I was happy to see him go.

Heck, that's one of the major reasons I prefer the manga, is that in the manga, his death is portrayed less...gloriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Villains comes in many forms, including the mundane. So hurrah for number one.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
No.1 truly deserve that.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah Shishio, my personal favorite villain death.

School Days doesn't SOUND like a show where such a thing happens. Talk about a description that doesn't reveal a show's true nature(I assume).

Not a single "movie" that I have much interest in is in the new poll. And Kick-Heart is only 12 minutes long? Oye.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I'm kinda indifferent to Light's death, but then again, I'm one of the seemingly few fans who, while loving that series (the manga more-so however), I hated Light with a passion. I was happy to see him go.

Heck, that's one of the major reasons I prefer the manga, is that in the manga, his death is portrayed less...gloriously.

OMG I agree with you so much. One of my biggest qualms with the anime (apart from the stupid feet cleaning scene) is that they made Light's death look almost glorified, whilst in the manga he was spoiler[squirming and begging for his life, looking completely miserable and pathetic]. I was so pissed that the anime changed that
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I also hated Light with a passion, but I do think that he is one of the most compelling characters in an anime series. His gradual moral decline and transition from anti-hero to villain kept me constantly engaged(It’s similar with how I feel towards the main protagonist of Breaking Bad).

Interesting to see how Light in contrast with Makoto is less hated by the community, even though the latter hasn’t broken any constitutional laws (I think) and his “crimes” are on a lesser scale. Guess it means that betrayal is deemed as a worse act than mass murder (in fiction).
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I also hated Light with a passion, but I do think that he is one of the most compelling characters in an anime series. His gradual moral decline and transition from anti-hero to villain kept me constantly engaged(It’s similar with how I feel towards the main protagonist of Breaking Bad).

Interesting to see how Light in contrast with Makoto is less hated by the community, even though the latter hasn’t broken any constitutional laws (I think) and his “crimes” are on a lesser scale. Guess it means that betrayal is deemed as a worse act than mass murder (in fiction).

Possibly because Light was nuts while Makoto's constant "escapades" was for his own selfish needs.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The last episode of Death Note had me acting in ways I never did watching the end of an Anime series--I was jumping up and down, cheering, clapping, what have you. After over 30 episodes of watching Light do almost nothing but the disgusting and the despicable, this was my payoff, and it definitely was one hell of a payoff. Even though the movies told a shorter digest version of the same story, it still had the same effect on me.

I was already hating Alucard in the previous Hellsing Ultimate episode due to his unnecessary actions to those human soldiers, and yet when I saw a convention screening of it mixed members of the audience were cheering regardless. When Alucard killed Rip Van Winkle the way he did--nobody cheered, not one. Whatever that could mean, I couldn't begin to say. It just solidified me not caring for Alucard as a protagonist so much.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
I also hated Light with a passion, but I do think that he is one of the most compelling characters in an anime series. His gradual moral decline and transition from anti-hero to villain kept me constantly engaged.

Oh, I agree. I do like Light as a villain, because he's very, very effective in that role, and I'd probably include him on a list of best villains - but I by no means like him as a character, and can't understand why some like him and nigh worship the guy. But eh, to each their own, I suppose. Razz

CrowLia wrote:
OMG I agree with you so much. One of my biggest qualms with the anime (apart from the stupid feet cleaning scene)...

Ugh, let's not even get started on the feet cleaning scene. Oi. Laughing

As far as the rest of the list goes, I sadly only know Shishio out of this. I guess his death is pretty cringe worthy when you think about it, though I've usually just passed by it without putting too much thought into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone can deny Light is one of the best villains of recent times, the problem is when people start calling him "hero" and "savior" and I don't know what's wrong with the world
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Sylpher3 wrote:
I also hated Light with a passion, but I do think that he is one of the most compelling characters in an anime series. His gradual moral decline and transition from anti-hero to villain kept me constantly engaged.

Oh, I agree. I do like Light as a villain, because he's very, very effective in that role, and I'd probably include him on a list of best villains - but I by no means like him as a character, and can't understand why some like him and nigh worship the guy. But eh, to each their own, I suppose. Razz

I do believe there was just simply a most great confusion about Light being the "protagonist", simply because he was the main character of the show and for that reason alone people thought they were supposed to root for him. To me that's like saying if a story revolved around Hitler we're supposed to root for him too.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't think anyone can deny Light is one of the best villains of recent times, the problem is when people start calling him "hero" and "savior" and I don't know what's wrong with the world

I do believe there was just mostly a great confusion about Light being the "protagonist", simply because he was the main character of the show and for that reason alone people thought they were supposed to root for him. To me that's like saying if a story revolved around Hitler we're supposed to root for him too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3