• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman and the Column of Doom

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted on Viz's site that they said the cover for St. Seiya was preliminary and subject to change.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Is there any particular reason to show the cover from the French manga version? I like using it as proof against the DiC-bashers that DiC didn't even invent the title "Knights of the Zodiac"; Saint Seiya is called the equivalent in many languages around the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I like using it as proof against the DiC-bashers that DiC didn't even invent the title "Knights of the Zodiac"; Saint Seiya is called the equivalent in many languages around the world.

Um, what? A lot of the people bashing Dic first SAW Saint Seiya under the "Knights of the Zodiac" name (in their respective languages) Wow! Way to sock it to them with stuff they already know!

Last edited by musouka on Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryuko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone but me looking forward to the Those Who Hunt Elves manga?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:48 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I've had more hate mail over my response to this Saint Seiya guy than anything else, ever (except my Azudai comments and one InuYasha review).

I admit I went a little over the top, but I stand by the point I made about overreacting fans and how quickly we're going to be ignored if we keep this endless malcontent complaining up.

Still, people hate me big time for this one.
-Z
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Now I admit I found your Azumanga Daioh comments to veer a bit too much into fan-bashy realm, and I'd best not ask about this Inu-Yasha thing...

But how can you hate someone whose avatar has Lord of the Rings sprites!? Of Aragorn & Gandalf, no less! Shocked

Seriously though, I can see where you're coming from. I don't even wanna venture a guess as to how many questions that're aimed at Answerman columns consist of "OMG WUT AR THEY DOING TO ITTS ENGLIS RELEES!?" or something similar. Hell, if I were in your position, I'd have vented, too.

But then, my experience with Saint Seiya consists of "this thing I've heard about that's supposed to be a classic or something because DiC raped it," so I'm probably missing some 'obsessive fanboyism/fangirlism' aspect here. Rolling Eyes

......something tells me I, too, shall get flamed for this, now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Uh, just in case anyone was wondering, the re-releases of Ranma 1/2 are still flipped. Or at least the ones I have, 1 through 4. (Also the new smaller versions of Inuyasha are flipped.) I think Takahashi's works might be the only flipped manga in Viz's possession now. Confused

However, I think I've read somewhere that Ranma 1/2 is going to be unflipped in like the... 24th manga or something. Confused (Sorry about posting speculation here)
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
For the record, I've had more hate mail over my response to this Saint Seiya guy than anything else, ever (except my Azudai comments and one InuYasha review).

I admit I went a little over the top, but I stand by the point I made about overreacting fans and how quickly we're going to be ignored if we keep this endless malcontent complaining up.

Still, people hate me big time for this one.
-Z

Well, hate to be the voice of dissent here, but maybe if you had calmly answered the guy's question instead of going off on a tangent about how "people don't know how American TV works" and generally belittling him for asking a simple question of "hey, will this release be edited? I'm concerned about it". (Hint: I don't think he was asking about the ADV release. Or going off for pages about how EEEEVIL Dic is)

All I'm saying is, who is the one overreacting here? The guy that asks you a question, or the guy that's supposed to answer and ends up throwing an unrelated fit about dubbed for-TV anime?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:52 am Reply with quote
Personally, I thought that was one of the coolest things Zac has ever written, and I will certainly be using that as a point of reference in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:53 am Reply with quote
Musoka, you are totally downplaying the guy's email. He wasn't calm. His subject header was all caps: "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT SAINT SEIYA!!!!!" as though Timmy had just fallen in the well or something.

I was a little over the top, but you're exaggerating the tone of his question. He was doing the typical ultra-paranoid fanboy ranting and screaming about something.

-Z
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:12 am Reply with quote
All right, yeah, that does sound sorta over the top.

But, at the same time, I think you're downplaying your own response. Again, the guy wasn't asking whether there would be an uncut version of the anime, or, at least from what you posted, ranting about how Saint Seiya must be saved from "teh evel Dic". He was asking about the Viz release.

I could understand your response if the question was something like "OMG! Dic totally ruined this anime! Can you tell me how to save it from its evil clutches?!?!"

Listen, I'll admit it, I'm a Saint Seiya fan. I'm not having a spaz attack over whether or not Viz uses Knights or Saints in its manga adaptation, though I would like to know. Yeah, Dic's dub does irk me in some rather major respects (though not for any of the reasons you listed), but it also makes me groan and laugh at it like one of those "it's so bad it's good" movies. I also realize why they edited the blood out (not an issue with me) and the religious stuff (again, not an issue).

So, yes, it's very possible I'm biased. I still think your response was out of line, though.
ashram12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Saint Seiya. I don't recommend it to everybody since it is a bit campy and the like.
On the subject of "Knights of the Zodiac", it isn't merely edited, it's horribly rewritten. The lines the characters were spouting in the last episode were so horrible, I wanted to bang my head against the wall.
But then I remind myself that ADV will be releasing Saint Seiya as well, so all is well with the world.
pythos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Musoka, you are totally downplaying the guy's email. He wasn't calm. His subject header was all caps: "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT QUESTION ABOUT SAINT SEIYA!!!!!" as though Timmy had just fallen in the well or something.-Z

No kidding.....The guy used ALL CAPS (the equivalent of screaming) at least 5 times in the email.

Not only that, just look at his opening & ending paragraphs...

Quote:
I am EXTREMELY concerned as to wether or not Viz will properly translate the Saint Seiya manga. I am afraid that they might translate it using information from the edited dub, "Knights of the Zodiac"

Quote:
I've tried emailing Viz several times concerning this, but they have not answered. I'd appreciate it if you could somehow find what the truth is about the matter and what exactly Viz will be doing with the manga.

And no offense, but whining to the Answerpeople isn't going to help. They don't work for Viz.

I think the guy got exactly what he deserved. And Zac was't offbase with his manner of reply. He's been been receiving an ungodly amount of emails like this for years. He's also been answering them in a "calm" manner and trying to point out how things work in the anime & manga industries. Obviously "calm" hasn't worked, so why not give them the proverbial slap in the face to wake them up a bit. (Geez, even those paragons of FOAKdom, Abby & Anne, have used it when needed in their columns.)

Frankly, if they don't like how a series is produced in the US (or anywhere else), they dont have to buy the product (I would also suggest also writing the company and explaining specifically why). Remember that the companies aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, they do it because it's profitable.

There is a cure for all their "proper" translation/edit worries. They could spend the time they use worring and whining about it and actually (*gasp*) learn Japanese, then they wouldn't have these problems.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:03 am Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
But, at the same time, I think you're downplaying your own response. Again, the guy wasn't asking whether there would be an uncut version of the anime, or, at least from what you posted, ranting about how Saint Seiya must be saved from "teh evel Dic". He was asking about the Viz release.

Actually, if you go back and reread his question, I'll admit that I had to do so myself, you'll see that his main concern with the Viz release it that they'll use info from Dic to base their translation from. Therefore, he does want to save it from "teh evel Dic", and since his repeated attempts at e-mailing Viz didn't work, probably in the same manner he e-mailed Zac, he figured he'd e-mail Zac with his fanboy rantings.

Zac has done this column for a couple years now, either as the main author or a contributor, and has gotten countless e-mails from people asking questions just like this. Personally, if I'd gotten something like this, I'd have done the same thing, especially after getting another "OMG, I've heard there's a second season of BERSERK, when will it come here?!??!!!?!" question.

Zac is correct in the mentality that there are more important things out there than whether an anime or manga has had it's name changed or been butchered and rewritten. Get over it, send letters to the company asking if they'll release an unedited version and go on with your life. If you're lucky you'll get your unedited version if enough people want it to make it financially possible, if not learn Japanese and stop whining already.
vandalthorne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say it like it is. Zac's response to this question was unprofessional, pure and simple. You can't do public relations type work (which the column is) and use anything except the most diplomatic of language.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3