• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I don't know what sort of blackmail Zac has on you, but you don't have to put up with it. Reviewing Aesthetica is clearly a violation of OSHA regulations and you should be talking to a lawyer about doing something about it.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why, but after reading this edition of Shelf Life, I got the strange sensation that Bamboo was a little... underwhelmed by Aesthetica.

I was, too. And it's too bad, as the premise was actually pretty decent, but it was poorly executed. I lost interest around halfway through the series and never went back. I like fanservice, but not the kind that is malicious, cruel, or exploitive.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
A woman reviewing Aesthetica does not seem wise. No offense, but I really doubt giving someone who is the exact opposite of the target audience something to review is unwise. On the other hand, ANN does not HAVE anyone who's the target audience of Aesthetica, so it's not really a problem.

I enjoyed some aspects of it:
- the OP protagonist who is powerful as hell, and DOESN'T get pushed around by women is surprisingly refreshing.
- a protagonist who's surrounded by beautiful women and DOESN'T run away at the slightest sight of panties is also a welcomed addition.
- it wasn't insulting our intelligence like some other extreme boob shows (Kanokon and Manyuu Hikenchou, I'm looking and spitting at you)

Did not enjoy some other aspects:
- I get that he means well, but not everything needs to be solved through sexual harassment and/or molestation. I'm not usually the one to say this, but less boobs please.
- I also get the feeling that he wasn't getting that much sexual gratification from his antics, but that he just enjoys being a major DICK.
- animation was pretty bad.

Still loved the show, but I watched it with friends, and I'm not sure how much we were laughing at it and how much with it. It made for a fun Sunday, but I don't know if I would watch it by myself.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

- the OP protagonist who is powerful as hell, and DOESN'T get pushed around by women is surprisingly refreshing.

*facepalm*
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

*facepalm*

Hey, give me a break. When this show aired, they had just stopped doing the pussy main harem lead. I didn't think that would catch on. To my great delight, there hasn't really been a wimp of a main lead in battle anime in quite some time. Strike the Blood, Tokyo Ravens, Aoiki Hagane and the like also show that a main lead can get his ass kicked, and still be awesome.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Don't agree about golgo 13 being repetitive or something might be just because i'm such a big fan(of badass in anime in gerneral) but there also is some story and intresting twists behind it through the pepole that make the assignments in many story's golgo 13 does only show up when hey kills and such.
So many are also viewed through the eyes of the other players involved.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
A woman reviewing Aesthetica does not seem wise. No offense, but I really doubt giving someone who is the exact opposite of the target audience something to review is unwise. On the other hand, ANN does not HAVE anyone who's the target audience of Aesthetica, so it's not really a problem.

I enjoyed some aspects of it:
- a protagonist who's surrounded by beautiful women and DOESN'T run away at the slightest sight of panties is also a welcomed addition.
- it wasn't insulting our intelligence like some other extreme boob shows (Kanokon and Manyuu Hikenchou, I'm looking and spitting at you)

Did not enjoy some other aspects:
- I get that he means well, but not everything needs to be solved through sexual harassment and/or molestation. I'm not usually the one to say this, but less boobs please.
- I also get the feeling that he wasn't getting that much sexual gratification from his antics, but that he just enjoys being a major DICK.
- animation was pretty bad.

Still loved the show, but I watched it with friends, and I'm not sure how much we were laughing at it and how much with it. It made for a fun Sunday, but I don't know if I would watch it by myself.

This is it, the worst thing I've seen anyone say in months. You are the worst, congratulations.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is it, the worst thing I've seen anyone say in months. You are the worst, congratulations.

Really? I'm pretty sure I've written worse things (to you) then THAT. Let me check. OK, maybe not lately.
Joking aside, I can see why you wouldn't agree with the things I enjoyed about it, but what was wrong with the things I didn't?
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Holy damn,this is, what is the word ...ah right fascinating.This is really fascinating,on so many levels.
Phantom Roxas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
… wrote:
- I get that he means well, but not everything needs to be solved through sexual harassment and/or molestation.

Then what, pray tell, can be solved through sexual harassment and/or molestation? A lack of "comedy" in a harem show?

…Nevermind, don't answer that. Unless that answer is "I phrased that terribly, and all I meant to say was that it was completely unnecessary."
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait did you buy the International Little Witch Academia release Bamboo? (the release for America and Europe)

The interviews with the staff were all translated into english. It's the 112 paged official booklet that was left in japanese (which i really don't understand why they wouldn't translate it but oh well).

I bought my copy a while ago and it's nice to see the staffs different personalities and hardships for this film Anime smile.

I scanned the interview pages to my computer a while ago so if anyone would be interested i could post a link for them.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Roxas wrote:
…Nevermind, don't answer that. Unless that answer is "I phrased that terribly, and all I meant to say was that it was completely unnecessary."

Yeah... perhaps a better choice of words would have been wise.
Can't actually think of ANYTHING that can be solved through sexual harassment and/or molestation, unless you're in a hentai. Then, it solves everything.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing is that the series is missing out on the chance to do "the protagonist is an asshole" jokes, like Blackadder with boobs or something.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Someone else is a fan of Godzilla vs. Destroyah. Cool
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Just let the guy have his laughably market-pandering teen power fantasy. It's not like it's hurting anything... except maybe women... and the artistic integrity of an industry.

Nevermind, carry on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 18