• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ping Pong/Kick-Heart's Yuasa Directs Adventure Time Episode

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ampharos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Adventure Time is far and away my favorite American cartoon so I'm really looking forward to this.

I haven't begun watching Ping Pong yet. Time to get around to it!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
I've never really watched adventure time but I guess now's the time for me to start getting into it. It definitely feels like an an anime episode from the clip an the movements are very interesting as they are in Ping Pong. I wonder how non-anime fans who like adventure time will see this episode?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
This is interesting. A Japanese anime director does "Adventure Time." It'll be interesting to see what this Yuasa guy does with this episode.
Ichimaru-san-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
I really like Adventure Time and Ping Pong so this is incredible news. Also the animation style fits very nicely.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I've never really watched adventure time but I guess now's the time for me to start getting into it. It definitely feels like an an anime episode from the clip an the movements are very interesting as they are in Ping Pong

That clip is nothing like how Adventure time usually looks/moves. It usually has very bland and forgettable animation. You'll probably be disappointed.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I've never really watched adventure time but I guess now's the time for me to start getting into it. It definitely feels like an an anime episode from the clip an the movements are very interesting as they are in Ping Pong. I wonder how non-anime fans who like adventure time will see this episode?

It's a nice time waster, it may not be for everyone's taste, but nothing bad of giving it a try. And yes, this episode really screams Kick Heart and Ping Pong.

Lavnovice9 wrote:

It usually has very bland and forgettable animation. You'll probably be disappointed.

That's a little harsh.

Last edited by PipingHotTea on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I've never really watched adventure time but I guess now's the time for me to start getting into it. It definitely feels like an an anime episode from the clip an the movements are very interesting as they are in Ping Pong

That clip is nothing like how Adventure time usually looks/moves. It usually has very bland and forgettable animation. You'll probably be disappointed.

Meh, I find the word "bland" pretty cold. It looks rather nicer in the later seasons.

I've always felt like while I like that Adventure Time develops its story and characters like an anime does, it just does it A LOT SLOWER.

I actually kinda like the idea that I get to hear a lot of voice actors I admire (John DiMaggio, Hynden Walch) as the original voices of a Yuasa work. It says he "wrote" it. So he wrote it in Japanese and it was translated to English?

And yes, I am watching Ping Pong. Was watching Tatami Galaxy (trying to support the legal streams of his works) but I kinda wish it was dubbed because the protagonist talks hella fast and I find myself pausing it too much. Anime hyper
hojo 360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

You must be a big J animation fan boy i mean the animation in Adventure Time all most looks like this all the time it's not like this Episode was a big jump from how the show all ways looks. As shows go for {CN} Adventure Time is one of the best Razz saying it has very bland and forgettable animation is not very true
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

I know what it looks like usually and really that was he biggest reason I had a hard time getting motivated to see it, especially considering the dark age CN went through. But I have heard that some sort of plot develops and with my faith restored in American cartoons thanks to Gravity Falls, I've been meaning to give it and actual try but just never found the time, college, prioritizing anime and manga, that sort of thing.

But this interests me because of something similar happening in space dandy and if a Japanese director is actually going out of his way to write an direct this then there aught to be some merit to this show that's been flying me by this whole time. As someone interested in the field of animation I feel like I HAVE to see at least this episode in particular.

PipingHotTea wrote:

It's a nice time waster, it may not be for everyone's taste, but nothing bad of giving it a try.

Will do.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
Masaaki Yuasa has always been one of my favorite animators, so I'm glad to see him getting so much recognition lately. I can't believe nothing by him has been released in the US yet. Funimation is leaving money on the table.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Probably just fits the series. Adventure Time has more than a few reaaaaally weird episodes. Laughing

Crystal wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Meh, I find the word "bland" pretty cold. It looks rather nicer in the later seasons.

I've always felt like while I like that Adventure Time develops its story and characters like an anime does, it just does it A LOT SLOWER.

Besides, animation is not the end all be all - in fact, anime fans are the very example of that. For years, anime have survived with terrible animation, but that didn't stop it garnering fans in the West. It's how ya use it.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
i mean the animation in Adventure Time all most looks like this all the time

You might wanna get your eyes checked there bud. Outside the same peanut bodies and noodle limbs, it's pretty damn distinct from the usual stuff Adventure Time does. Even without the animation the art has a pretty different feel to it. And then you got that short little walk cycle that actually has some depth to it

Thatguy3331 wrote:
if a Japanese director is actually going out of his way to write an direct this then there aught to be some merit to this show

More than likely he was paid to do it. Not really uncommon for American companies to pay Japanese people/companies to animate their stuff to cash in on the anime craze. Hell, not the first time Yuasa himself specifically was hired to direct a western cartoon

Though at least these guys made sure to ask someone by name. I remember when those Legend of Korra guys hired Studio Pierrot to animate Korra. I bet they thought they'd get people like Gorou Sessha, Hiroyuki Yamashita, and Seiko Asai all onboard animating their show. Instead they got Pierrot's B and C team and it looked weak Rolling Eyes Bit of a flub on Nickelodeon's part for not ensuring they got Pierrot's A tier animators with that contract.

v1cious wrote:
I can't believe nothing by him has been released in the US yet. Funimation is leaving money on the table.

I REALLY doubt his stuff would sell in the American market. Usually those kinda series bomb HARD here because they're not long running action kids shows. Ain't exactly hard to see why companies pass on his stuff given the tastes of the American anime market.

Last edited by Mister Ryan Andrews on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Probably just fits the series. Adventure Time has more than a few reaaaaally weird episodes. Laughing

Crystal wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Besides, animation is not the end all be all - in fact, anime fans are the very example of that. For years, anime have survived with terrible animation, but that didn't stop it garnering fans in the West. It's how ya use it.

Pretty much. It really boils down to the story and the characters. If you got those two right, you have a good deck that will attract viewers. And yes, Adventure Time can get really weird sometimes. But not as weird as Regular Show.

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Bit of a flub on Nickelodeon's part for not ensuring they got Pierrot's A tier animators with that contract.

It's mostly Nickelodeon's fault on that one. But at least they got Studio Mir back to do half of Season 2 and so on.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
I'm confused where the sentiment that this is a cynical grab for "anime craze." Isn't the idea of a cash grab that you target something that has a wider audience? Saying that Yuasa is only doing it for the money seems especially odd when he took the effort to not just direct the episode, but also write and storyboard it. If anything it looks more like something he wanted to do, and that the end goal is more to get Adventure Time fans to look into Yuasa rather than get a few more anime fans to watch Adventure Time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8