• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: Nominations (ABOUT TO START)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Vote for From the New World.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
And this is less cerebral than the typical trait based tournaments we have? I think not. While the detail is there, this is essentially an art/animation analysis tournament with a lot of subjectivity.

The less cerebral approach? "I may not know art but I know what other people like."

And I wish there were a lot of animation based entries but I'm not optimistic. Just trying to point out good stuff around here is like trying to get people away from their "safety zones".

Quote:
in fact, the only SHAFT series I really think are worth nominating are Bakemonogatari and PMMM.

See what I mean? From the actual meaty Shinbo stuff like Soultaker or an actual Shaft series Moonphase, this guy went straight for popular. And putting together 1 and 2 with the previous mention of C^3, why not combine Shin Oonuma and Shinbou with Ef: a Tale of Memories?

Nope, it's neither of those two aforementioned Shaft series and not worth nominating; Got me on a technicality.

And so ends the extent of my participation. It's just one huge echo chamber in here.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
^Well, you could nominate something, instead of just complaining.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Notice how no one has nominated the largely popular stuff that everyone seems to be saying is a shoe in to win. Even if everyone has a guess as to popular opinion, and even if those things go far, I don't think they'll dominate or even win because there are going to be a lot of good options. Part of the reason visuals/gifs are required is because they succinctly express the visuals of a show you've never seen. That makes voting for something "out there" easier than in the last tournament for instance.

Part of the reason I'm so excited about this tournament is that there is a lot of cool looking stuff out there, so much that I expect to be surprised, especially in the animation department. If you want to talk about animation focused shows then nominate them so we can start some interesting discussion.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Supporting

Mind Game

If Masaaki Yuasa doesn't fill all four semi-final spots (Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba & Tatami Galaxy) then I'll be hornswaggled and my opinion of my fellow ANN forumites will reach an all-time low.* There is simply no-one to compare with him in anime. My fear is that this tournament will founder on this particular rock.

Perhaps you could argue you can only be daring once. Maybe.

*Just kidding.

I don't particularly like his art style though. His stuff is amusing and creative but I don't particularly like how they look like, to me it looks like something that is too self conscious of it's uniqueness and tries too hard to look "artsy" and not quite pretty enough for my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
Notice how no one has nominated the largely popular stuff that everyone seems to be saying is a shoe in to win.

That's definitely a case of "I'm sure some one else will nominate it so I won't bother." Of course if everyone thinks that way no one will nominate it.

Nominating:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mecha shows thrive on drawing in starry eyed youngsters with sleek and shiny robots, but Evangelion gave us ugly ass robots that look more like the monsters other hero robots beat up every week. Outside of the mecha design, let's not forget the final episodes' daring use of crayon drawings and black screens with white text! Just because you ran out of budget doesn't mean you can't be memorable.

Robots!
Text!
Crayon!
Drawings!
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:
Kuuchuu Buranko
Flag
From the New World

I really love this topic and want to nominate some titles, but they won't be nearly as eloquent as some other nominations have been (^^; ) I especially like that the fact that it is about visuals means that I don't necessarily have to have seen the entire show to feel fairly confident about voting for/against it. Kuuchuu Buranko was already nominated, so I guess I'll do the other Kenji Nakamura shows (minus [C] because ew), since his style is a favorite of mine. And then one other show that I'm ashamed to say I only finished recently.

Nominating:

Mononoke
This show's style, which is very different from the typical "anime" look, is heavily influenced by Japanese scroll paintings and ukiyo-e prints, to the point that the show itself often looks like a scroll painting come to life. It combines traditional Japanese artistic elements with Nakamura's signature pop art sensibility in order to alienate and unsettle the audience, which works extremely well in executing the 2-3 episode horror vignettes that make up the story. The labyrinthine backgrounds and the use of various visual motifs and symbols (the dolls in the first arc come to mind) add to the uncanny atmosphere.
The Medicine Seller's tranformation sequence
AMV

tsuritama
In this show, Nakamura's signature flat fields of color and rapid transitions are used to soothe rather than unsettle, and IMO it works very well. The bright, flat colors and simplified character designs are reminiscent of a children's picture book and the overall effect paints Enoshima as an inviting, friendly, and charmingly quirky place to spend thirteen episodes. Of particular note is the excellently depicted visual metaphor of chronically nervous Yuki "drowning in anxiety" when forced into social situations early in the series (and then being "saved" by his new friend Haru).
Trailer
"Drowning" scene

Gatchaman Crowds
Once again, the show uses bright, flat colors and both references and parodies various contemporary art styles in order to evoke a certain atmosphere, in this case a fun, upbeat superhero show. The most successful part of the show's style IMO is the main villain, Berg Katze, who not only has a fantastic character design, but also appears, disappears, and flashes across the frame at will and can change his form and possess others.
Sugane vs MESS fight (ep1)
Berg Katze

Revolutionary Girl Utena
This show is so dense that I don't even know where to start. Every frame is filled with symbols and metaphors that are not only aesthetically beautiful, but packed with layers upon layers of meaning. Its use of budget-saving stock animation is iconic, cleverly using the repetition to its fullest potential by turning it into a ritual and packing it with even more meaning. The backgrounds and imagery are surreal and beautiful, such as the dueling arena with a floating upside-down palace looming in the sky above, the close-by yet ever unreachable "eternal thing". More than anything else, though, this show deserves to be nominated because of its influence. The influence is more prominent in shoujo and josei (Ouran High School Host Club and Princess Tutu are two shows with a strong Utena influence), but it's there in shounen and seinen as well (Akiyuki Shinbo, who has already been mentioned several times, is heavily influenced by Utena), and even Western cartoons like Steven Universe.
Utena vs Saionji first duel (Student Council Saga)
Utena vs spoiler[Wakaba] (Black Rose Saga)
Utena vs Touga final duel (Apocalypse Saga)

Last edited by rheiders on Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
Notice how no one has nominated the largely popular stuff that everyone seems to be saying is a shoe in to win. Even if everyone has a guess as to popular opinion, and even if those things go far, I don't think they'll dominate or even win because there are going to be a lot of good options. Part of the reason visuals/gifs are required is because they succinctly express the visuals of a show you've never seen. That makes voting for something "out there" easier than in the last tournament for instance.

Note previous explicit "away at a 'con" statement and implicit "I don't have time or DVD access to assemble appropriate screenshots at the moment" meaning.

That will change on Sunday and Monday.

Supporting:
Noein
Neon Genesis Evangelion (was considering nominating this one myself.

And Animeegomaniac: Seriously, man, if you think I'm wrong, then nominate the titles yourself instead of whining about it. When we're talking about something as subjective as this, I will sometimes acknowledge that I'm wrong if people make good enough counter-arguments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
Supporting
From the New World
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Kuuchuu Buranko
Mononoke
Tsuritama
Gatchaman Crowds
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
I'm supporting EVA and all of Space Dandy. In the case of the former, you've got to admit the monsters look pretty effin' cool. I'm only on Episode 3, and so far, the fight scenes are pretty impressive. As for the latter, all of Dandy's episodes have unique looks and designs for the aliens. As far as I've heard, the director got all sorts of different people instead of just one character designer so each alien looked unique.

So here's my nominations!

Soul Eater:

I nominated this because of the style, action scenes, and character designs. This anime's visual style is one of the most distinguishable styles I have ever seen. Action scenes are creative and well-animated (It's Studio Bones, of couse), and of course, being shonen, there are plenty to go around. The character designs are pretty amazing, too. Smile

This link leads to a picture of Jack the Ripper from the first episode.

FLCL:

I love the look of this series! From the animation, to the visuals, to the action scenes, to even the jokes, FLCL looks fan-f***ing-tastic! For further proof, just watch all of Episode Five.

This link leads to an interesting shot of our mano e mano showoff between Haruko and Amarao.

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Nichijou

Basically the series is a giant sandbox for KyoAni, every episode has something to treasure aesthetically. I really do recommend seeing the whole series if you haven't.
Carl's Review

This pumpkin is so hard!
Head Slap
Safe!
Epic Pain
Hallway Chase

Last edited by SethMosrite on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'm supporting EVA and all of Space Dandy.

I think you need to bold the word "supporting" rather than the show titles. Also your nominations lack pictures.

Vote for: Soul Eater, Nichijou
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
Damn, so many good nominations.

Voting for:
Bobby's In Deep
Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~
Mind Game
Noein
Kuuchuu Buranko
Kemonozume
From the New World
Turn A Gundam
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Mononoke
tsuritama
Gatchaman Crowds
Revolutionary Girl Utena
FLCL
Nichijou

Last edited by Ignatz on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:36 am; edited 2 times in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Redline
Heavy use of blacks and character designs has a retro quality, but still manages to feel cool and current.
Redline Clip Youtube

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Sketch lines often used in shadows look like someone was using compressed charcoal in a fine art mixed media work. It gives it a rough almost "dirty" feel to it, which maybe appropriate to the title. Flat stylized designs, muted colors, with some superimposed images manage to standout without overwhelming the viewer.
Funimation trailer YouTube

AMV-YouTube may contain spoilers.

Supporting:
FLCL Flying guitars, Manga style, South Park style. FLCL has it all!
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Revolutionary Girl Uetna
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'm supporting EVA and all of Space Dandy.

I think you need to bold the word "supporting" rather than the show titles. Also your nominations lack pictures.

Vote for: Soul Eater, Nichijou

You want...pictures?

My, what an interesting-looking starter villain.

Cartman, I don't think we're in South Park anymore.

There, you got your pictures! Want more? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9