• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right On DeMarco

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
in reference to Big O

"Just call you buddies at FUNimation and say 'Hey...' "

Zac, it's Sentai who holds the Big O license, not FUNimation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
in reference to Big O

"Just call you buddies at FUNimation and say 'Hey...' "

Zac, it's Sentai who holds the Big O license, not FUNimation.

Whoops. Thanks for the correction.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Gawd, I always feel so bad that I can't watch Toonami. But I work the overnight shift, which I'm ok with, except I almost always work Saturdays. 9 times out of 10 or more (I've gone months working every Saturday), I'm working on Saturday. I simply can't watch Toonami, which really sucks. Sure, there's their website which has videos, but it's not the same.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Minor suggestion. Could you start linking the boilerplate text about the show forum:
Quote:
Or check out the community forums thread about the show

to the relevant forum? animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2939794&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Thanks.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Gawd, I always feel so bad that I can't watch Toonami. But I work the overnight shift, which I'm ok with, except I almost always work Saturdays. 9 times out of 10 or more (I've gone months working every Saturday), I'm working on Saturday. I simply can't watch Toonami, which really sucks. Sure, there's their website which has videos, but it's not the same.

You don't have a DVR or recording device/setup of any kind?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I wish he wouldn't discount the effect of action cartoons in the West, especially superhero cartoons. There are still so many things you can only really do in animation, or do well, than you can do in the live-action movies.

I'd love to see some of those animated DC movies on Toonami, like Batman: Year One, Under the Red Hood, Green Lantern: First Flight, New Frontier, and Assault on Arkham.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rmarti3926

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
DeMarco, you forgot two words...

Sailor Moon.

The old show has been redub with better dialogue, some few cuss words and better actors, including some Funimation veterans. You dragged DBZ to death, why can't you show all 200 eps of Classic Sailor Moon? And the current Crystal show is more serious and mature than the old show and has a kick-ass opening theme composed from the guy behind the themes of Attack on Titan.

And if you think you can't show shojo anymore because it's "too girly" or "no much 'Toonami' anymore" for the block, here are two more words you might consider...

Madoka Magica.

'Nuff said.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish he wouldn't discount the effect of action cartoons in the West, especially superhero cartoons. There are still so many things you can only really do in animation, or do well, than you can do in the live-action movies.

In animation as a medium? Of course. In western action animation? Doubtful. Like he said, the rise of CG animation kind of put a damper on that. If you do get an action cartoon it'll more than likely look like Beware the Batman or Green Lantern (i.e. ugly). Besides, those are all going to be aimed at kids, and censors kind of make sure you won't get an Iron Man cartoon where Tony can drink alcohol or sleep around. Or do really dark Batman stories. Or do accurate portrayals of characters like Carnage, or The Punisher who require unbridled violence and killing. As much as I'll say B:TAS is way better than the Nolan movies, something like that wouldn't work anymore in today's market where people want cartoons to be goofy and fun. Teen Titans Go seem to go out of it's way to make fun of all the old people who complain about it and complain at how superhero cartoons are all lighthearted and goofy these days. Action animation is pretty much dead.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
rmarti3926 wrote:
DeMarco, you forgot two words...

Sailor Moon.

The old show has been redub with better dialogue, some few cuss words and better actors, including some Funimation veterans. You dragged DBZ to death, why can't you show all 200 eps of Classic Sailor Moon? And the current Crystal show is more serious and mature than the old show and has a kick-ass opening theme composed from the guy behind the themes of Attack on Titan.

DeMarco has said that Ranma 1/2 is too old and Sailor Moon is only two years younger than that so I'd say chances are almost none of classic Sailor Moon.

Sailor Moon Crystal is possible. It does aim for those who remember the classic anime, and I don't think the casuals will mind the new designs on Crystal, plus Rei is a lot nicer in the new version. I haven't seen the Black Moon arc episodes yet, so I don't know how Chibiusa compares to the 90s anime but they probably improved there too.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
DeMarco has said that Ranma 1/2 is too old and Sailor Moon is only two years younger than that so I'd say chances are almost none of classic Sailor Moon.

Although that sounds like Jason would say something along those lines, where and when did he say that, because I can't recall?

I know he touched on the matter of acquiring older shows in his most recent interview on the Toonami Faithful Podcast that acquiring stuff like YuYu Hakusho and Outlaw Star, while not bad shows and may do decent ratings, are not as much of a priority as a newer show in high-definition that gets a lot of demand. And Sailor Moon is among the top 5 of most requested shows. Before, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill and Naruto Shippuden were among the five most requested and those got on, so never say never. Just expect Crystal to be more likely than the original series.

Also, quick side note, I can't recall a time where anyone of the Toonami crew said they have anything against shoujo. They've made it clear through the Toonami tumblr that so as long as it has action, they like it and they don't have to worry much (if not at all) about edits, then it's fine. Otherwise, they don't seem to be biased for any kind of show, so I don't know where rmarti3926 is getting that from.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

In animation as a medium? Of course. In western action animation? Doubtful. Like he said, the rise of CG animation kind of put a damper on that. If you do get an action cartoon it'll more than likely look like Beware the Batman or Green Lantern (i.e. ugly). Besides, those are all going to be aimed at kids, and censors kind of make sure you won't get an Iron Man cartoon where Tony can drink alcohol or sleep around. Or do really dark Batman stories. Or do accurate portrayals of characters like Carnage, or The Punisher who require unbridled violence and killing. As much as I'll say B:TAS is way better than the Nolan movies, something like that wouldn't work anymore in today's market where people want cartoons to be goofy and fun. Teen Titans Go seem to go out of it's way to make fun of all the old people who complain about it and complain at how superhero cartoons are all lighthearted and goofy these days. Action animation is pretty much dead.

Ain't that the truth! Yeah, traditional animation is pretty much dead in America. So we'll probably have nothing anime over here. And I can't stand modern American cartoons, except maybe some of the superhero cartoons, which of course, are usually NOT shown on Cartoon Network/Toonami. As for B:TAS, gotta agree that was classic; been watching old clips on Youtube and wow, was I amazed! Yet we'll probably never see anything like it again. Such a shame! Crying or Very sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they had no creative input on Space Dandy, and that's how the relationship should always be [from the West]. Give funding, but give none of your ideas.

And with the upcoming FUNidubs, isn't Toonami just even more redundant? Unless they're picking shows from other licensees or they're adding a bunch of older stuff, what would be the point of playing a show that's already accessible subbed and dubbed?

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to finally get an explanation as to exactly why Transformers Armada suffered from rushed dubbing and fluctuating animation quality.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
That was a very informative podcast. Thank you for sharing all that information.

And since TV censors do not seem to mind more risque anime, should I expect to soon watch CROSS ANGE on Toonami? Wink
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wants Death Parade on Toonami!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4