• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie English Dub Trailer Reveals Theatrical Release Dates

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pikapwn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if you need to have seen Arise to watch this movie? Or is it another new story line from scratch?

Because I've only seen the original movie and Innocence, and I would love to see this. But I haven't seen any of Arise.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I so what to watch this it just looks so sweet
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Arise never blew me away like the best parts of Stand Alone Complex, but on average it was very comparable, and I'm looking forward to seeing this movie eventually. The English dub has improved over time, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Isinfier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Thanks Obama.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...

The website directs patrons to movie websites that no ticket listings for the movie nor any intention to show the movie. False advertising or just hyper-limited release?
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Pikapwn wrote:
Does anyone know if you need to have seen Arise to watch this movie? Or is it another new story line from scratch?

Because I've only seen the original movie and Innocence, and I would love to see this. But I haven't seen any of Arise.

It's a direct sequel to Arise, but it follows the TV series version. The TV series was just the movies redone for TV, but they added new content. I believe the final two episodes of the TV series are entirely new stories for Arise, and they then lead to this movie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Isinfier wrote:

Thanks Obama.

Unless you are referring to the TPP, what does Obama have to do with this?
Pikapwn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Pikapwn wrote:

It's a direct sequel to Arise, but it follows the TV series version. The TV series was just the movies redone for TV, but they added new content. I believe the final two episodes of the TV series are entirely new stories for Arise, and they then lead to this movie.

Oh ok. Thanks!

Looks like I better marathon those 10 episodes....
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Isinfier wrote:

Thanks Obama.

Unless you are referring to the TPP, what does Obama have to do with this?

It's a joke where you blame Obama for something that went wrong, usually when it has nothing to do with him, like in this case. It's not to be taken seriously. Don't know where it came from, though.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
I believe even Obama himself made a jab at this; there's a video of him trying to dunk an over-sized cookie into a glass of milk. It doesn't fit, so cue the "Thanks Obama," complete with eye-roll. Anime hyper

Pertaining to the trailer, it's a little weird to hear the older!Major's voice coming out of that Colonel character, while talking to younger!Major.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed Arise even if it wasn't quite as good as SAC, so I'm really looking forward to this and likely importing the blu-ray to see it sooner.

Cool to see they got to work on the dub for this right away, didn't expect it so fast, hopefully the US blu-ray will come out sooner than expected too.

whiskeyii wrote:
Pertaining to the trailer, it's a little weird to hear the older!Major's voice coming out of that Colonel character, while talking to younger!Major.

Yeah Laughing I'm glad she got a role in the Arise dub so we can still atleast hear her in there somewhere.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

It was distracting at first. Like when they had Richard Epcar in The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and he was Zenigata and not Jigen. But it's also kind of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen even the Japanese version of this, despite having "access" to it. The performance for the dub is satisfying, it's just a shame that they had to cover it up with that obnoxious new wave music in the trailer. It's not going to be in the movie and it doesn't represent the down to earth tones of Ghost in the Shell.

Still really excited!! Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Content looks great and I definitely want to see it if it comes here, but that music is absolutely horrible. I really hope that ear bleeder is not in the movie.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Arise never blew me away like the best parts of Stand Alone Complex, but on average it was very comparable, and I'm looking forward to seeing this movie eventually. The English dub has improved over time, too.

true and its a good dub, however this is one series that funi should have instead used the dub cast from stand alone complex. especially when it comes to the casting for the major.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2