• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Monster Girl Safari

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Who Doesn't Love Monster Girls hell I can't get enough Monster Girls now that I caught the germ! Anime hyper
Nosehair again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
completely agree with you here, there is just a wacky charm that monster girls possess. and I do like it when a manga doesn't go full hentai, it's less enjoyable if it goes that route, the near miss strategy contributes to the enjoyabilty of monster musume. Although I do contradict myself, because my favorite echhi comedy manga would have to be oretama, its completely hilarious, but hilarity ensues after all of hells demons are trying to seduce (sometimes nearly rape) the mc. I read it after catching up with museme and i feel like it was just the logical progression of things. good article!
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I watched Mon Musu out of pure curiosity. Well, that and the colours. I like a rainbow dynamic in my anime/manga.

After watching it, I came to one conclusion.

Rachnera best girl. Embarassed
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The differing personalities of the girls and their supernatural bodies are what make Monster Musume such a fun and interesting show. Smile
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Monster girls have been something I've enjoyed for years, Rosario + Vampire being the first series that dealt with them that I got into, and I'm really pleased to see their newfound prevalence within the mainstream community for manga and anime.

There's something utterly charming about them and, in particular, the messages of getting along with each that they mostly promote. It's probably why the newest batch of series has hit it off so well.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Will there ever be any Monster Boys/Men in the future at some point???
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I tend not to watch thos anime because those are usually not my cup pf tea or because those are excessively censored. However, I gave MonMusu a try because of the continuous good grades during the weekly reviews, and because I started to find Miia's character design very charming. And thank god I did because it was one of my favorite comedies from that season, and because the censorship was, well, not there. Every boob/butt shot were shown without those horrendous white bars. And I got to watch the uncensored version of MonMusu, and the only changes I could notice were a change of perspective from the camera, less people covering the girls' naked bodies, and newly drawn nipples on every boob of the girls.

I'm really planning to get the MonMusu manga, and hopefully Sentai gives the show a nice dub, or, considering it was pretty popular, a deluxe limited edition.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The differing personalities of the girls and their supernatural bodies are what make Monster Musume such a fun and interesting show. Smile

Right? That's why I like all of the girls! I like the amount of diversity with the different species of monster girls as well as their respective personalities.

On a side note, Mike, Mero's your favorite? I mean I like her just fine but given her personality, I can't see her as a contender for the waifu war of Mon Musu. (I say this jokingly, of course. Razz)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The monster girl phenomenon is a very interesting one, mostly because it goes beyond its shallow "mythological beasts as moe girls" roots and adds some very logical depth to it. Cute girls that aren't human is nothing new to anime, manga, or video games, but they've always kept it to a small pool of creatures or made ways to make them appear human, thus the impact is really lessened. Actually keeping their physical differences thus adds an interesting layer to it. Plus it's interesting to see someone like Rachnera who is clearly arachnid with her multiple eyes and thorax, but is still undeniably sexy or a girl like Miia who's more snake than humanoid, but is still cute and lovable. And there are ways to switch it to social issues and do more with it. It's no wonder the trend has done well.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I enjoyed Monster Musume far more than I'd expected, to the point where not only did I watch the anime I've since started buying the manga.

I like the characters, and I like the wackiness.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I really, thoroughly enjoyed MonMusu when it aired. I think it's easily one of the best ecchi-harem anime from the past 5 years (which probably isn't saying much, but meh). I've kind of stopped watching ecchi/harem shows nowadays after watching them prodigiously in my teens, but Monster Musume reeled me right back in. Good ol' monster girls.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much the last person out there who would willingly watch a harem fanservice show, but I have to say that there's a small part of me that legit wants to watch Monster Musume. I've seen bits of the manga posted in various places, and I read some of the surprisingly-glowing episode reviews in the big season feature, and between them it sounds remarkably fun. I think the reason it seems so much more appealing than your normal haremfest is that it's just so...earnest about the whole monster girl thing. I mean yeah, they still throw in some of of those disgustingly-banal harem tropes, but they're instantly tripped up by the fact that the girls have crazy-different anatomies. (See: death by constriction.) There's also how matter-of-factly it treats the basic biological differences of the girls, where things like shedding skin and staying hydrated become legitimate plot points. It's really willing to go all-in on the concept, which is refreshing.

(Though I am genuinely freaked out by those cyclops images. One massive eyeball the size of a watermelon? *shudder*)
Nojay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I cringe a bit at the shenanigans in Monster Musume but the main character is less of a sleazebag than most harem-masters in this kind of a show, often putting himself in pain and peril to defend the girls under his care. It's telling that his name is "Kimi" which is Japanese for "Hey, you" and is spelled with the kanji "公" which also has the meaning of "official" as he works for the government looking after the girls.

My own choice for Best Girl? The Mon Squad, hands down (although Rachnera has her attractions).

Other monster girl mangas... I'm enjoying Kanojo wa Rokurokubi, a light high-school rom-com with a long-necked girl, the Rokurokubi of the title and the boy who loves her. Misunderstandings, reconciliations, interfering cousins and sarcastic wingmen and a girl whose neck stretches at the most inappropriate times.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
As a long time fan of mythology, I'm a huge fan of Monster Musume which has a little more context than something like My Monster Secret or Rosario + Vampire. Centaurs, dryads, harpies, lamias and... wait, that last one hasn't shown up yet but think mythical cow person... have a lot more societal thought and imagination behind them than say vampire, werewolf or, can't leave Princess Resurrection out of this....

I can't come up with anything original with that one other than the princess herself and that one's a spoiler but yeah, two of the more classic stock monsters are not just human, they're better than human.

This what I love about Monster Musume; The creator drew a line marked "sufficient monster" and anything too human can not become a regular. The more original ones like Rachnera and Suu are put on the same level as the classics- the myth of Arachne was that she was made into a spider, not spider-woman- with all the emphasis on monster first. In the other series, it's just added to the "harem quirks" list: glasses, hair color, vampire, it's all the same in the end but there is no getting around the "compatibility" question in this one.

In fact, that idea honestly and directly drives the series. The series doesn't just ask who or even "would you?", it begins at the question "could you?" and slithers, swims and gallops with it. The creator really loves that question but I think he does draw the line at Suu for obvious reasons. I mean reproductively, shouldn't she split like an amoeba?

A Centaur's Life? Without a human baseline, the concept of "monster" loses meaning. I only read the sample of it from the Monster Musume and I wasn't exactly impressed by it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Will there ever be any Monster Boys/Men in the future at some point???

Ancient Magus' Bride almost feels like a very limited version of a "monster boy" comic, considering how quickly they've been introducing new monstrous fey boys.

Not really the same thing, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4