• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponycan USA Promotes Kuromukuro, Mayoiga/The Lost Village TV Anime, Sound! Euphonium Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuusei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Promoting shows they don't even know if they'll own? huh?

Eh, not really sure this company knows what it's doing anymore
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The staff for The Lost Village O_o. Wooooooooooow. That's gonna be an amazing anime. The only problem is I HATE diomedea animation. Hopefully it won't be very bad this time (this is more of a personal taste)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
shuusei wrote:

As if they ever actually did know what they were doing. Laughing
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
shuusei wrote:

From what I understand, they do technically "own" them as they're a subsidary of Ponycanyon Japan? It seems more like they haven't decided if they're going to localize these shows yet (Gauge popularity when they air?) It seems they were vague.

edit: In response to the diomedea comment, I can understand that I guess. I never thought it was that bad personally. I think the staff will easily make up for any animation issues tho

Last edited by Kougeru on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
At this point, they might be thinking they'd actually make MORE money licensing the show out to another company than they would selling it themselves, as their business model has been pretty universally panned by both the casual and collector's markets.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that I don't end up liking Mayoiga and Kuromukuro too much because I don't like buying anime from this asinine company. I will probably buy Sound! Euphonium, but only because I liked it a lot.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I dont get why Ponycan USA even bothers. If they do not even plan to dub a masterpiece like Sound! Euphonium. They are releasing it in 2 sets of like 115 dollars each. Seriously. I mean, come on, who in their right mind would even consider buying that?

I loved their Yuki Yuna is a hero dub. I totally do. I had hopes when they licensed Sound! Euphonium theat they would dub it.....
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Both of these definitely have potential. Surprised they have so little hype surrounding them. I can understand why they'd want to promote them like this.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they don't license Mayoiga, as i'm super hyped for that anime. If it's has good as it sounds like, i'd like to own it. But not if Pony Canyon releases it, unless they significantly alter their prices.

Sound! Euphonium is probably going to be what make or breaks them for the NA market. And it sounds like a lot people plan on buying that series, which means Pony Canyon is probably going to stick around awhile longer. As others said, gauge the popularity of the shows now, or even as they're airing, license the really popular ones, and then let Funimation and Sentai get the rest.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

From what I understand, they do technically "own" them as they're a subsidary of Ponycanyon Japan? It seems more like they haven't decided if they're going to localize these shows yet.

Yes, they were also promoting older shows (like Attack on Titan) that Ponycan USA doesn't have the license to, because Pony Canyon produced them. The fact that they were promoting these new anime may mean very little.
Dranio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I dont get why Ponycan USA even bothers. If they do not even plan to dub a masterpiece like Sound! Euphonium. They are releasing it in 2 sets of like 115 dollars each. Seriously. I mean, come on, who in their right mind would even consider buying that?

I loved their Yuki Yuna is a hero dub. I totally do. I had hopes when they licensed Sound! Euphonium theat they would dub it.....

Wait, releasing sound euphonium in 2 sets? set 1 is up for preorder and contains the first 5 of 13 episodes for their usual $72. that to me says 3 sets. unless I misread your comment and you were referring to a different release of theirs?

That said, I really am disappointed in their not getting rid of the stupid oversized case crap and not dubbing sound! Euphonium. and I was actually looking forward to the other 2 shows too, dang ponycan :/
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
At this point, they might be thinking they'd actually make MORE money licensing the show out to another company than they would selling it themselves, as their business model has been pretty universally panned by both the casual and collector's markets.

SpacemanHardy, I hope your are right. I don't want to see anyone "lose their shirt", but I do want the folks at PonyCan in Japan to realize that the Japanese sales model is not compatible with the North American market. They need to correct PonyCan USA's approach or return to licensing to North American based distributors who know how to service the market.

Mark Gosdin
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I have and always will defend Aniplex of America. They charge big but they've give you bang for your buck with great extras, fantastic English dubs and Blu-ray quality on par with the Japanese release for a price that's still well below what the Japanese pay. Not to mention they are willing to do regular editions.

Ponycan's prices are only barely cheaper than Japan and the extras they offer just aren't that great. I really liked Yuki Yuna dub and I'm thankful that a niche show got such a high quality dub but they haven't dubbed anything since. They hinted at the possibility of several of their shows being dubbed yet NOT ONE of them got one in the end. I don't think too many people are all that disappointed about Etotama missing out, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I was really looking forward to seeing a Hibike dub.

I mean sure Aniplex and NISA are really selective when it comes to dubbing anime but it's not difficult to understand why they dubbed this show and why they didn't dub that show. Ponycan don't really have any rhyme or reason for anything they do. People don't want to pay premium prices for a sub only Etotama set with 4 episodes. Why is that so hard to understand?
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Only reason AoA can get by with the prices is because they got huge popular titles like Sword Art Online, Fate series, Durarara!!,Gurren Lagann etc...they know people will put a lot of money to get these titles. I just wish that their standard releases were not so expensive like heck I'll pay $80 for 5 episodes. For standard volume releases they should do $29.99 per DVD volume like back in the old days and 39.99 for Bluray it would be expensive not not bank breaking. And keep all the expensive stuff $60+ volumes collectors only.

Pony Canyon on the other hand all their title are so niche or just plain mediocre that no one wants to buy them at those prices. They are not going to last long here at this rate they need a hit show soon if not they will go out of business real quick. I honestly doubt that these series will get them any money if they do snag the rights and not Funi or Sentai
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:

Pony Canyon on the other hand all their title are so niche or just plain mediocre that no one wants to buy them at those prices. They are not going to last long here at this rate they need a hit show soon if not they will go out of business real quick.

Euphonium was their hit title and apparently they fucked it up by delaying it a lot only for it to be sub only. Since Americans put a lot of weight into getting their anime dubbed, it appears that many potential buyers have been turned off by the overpriced sub-only releases. We don't know how much the company is selling, but at this rate, seeing all the negative feedback they have on their facebook vs pretty much no positive one, I don't think they'll be around much longer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2