• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Poll Asks Men Which Shōjo Manga They'd Recommend to Other Men

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Equivalent ANN poll when?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Banana Fish: weirdest manga title ever. Somebody remembers that manga, though???
Octorockandroll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
It isn't available over here yet but my pick is Love and Tears. It's just a good old fashioned romantic drama with simple but endearing chracters couples you quickly fond yourself rooting for. And best of all: NO [expletive] LOVE TRIANGLES!!!

If not Ore Monogatari. It's funny, charming, clever and pretty well drawn to boot.

Honestly, if people just released more shojo manga here I'm sure plenty of guys would be reading it.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
A shocking number of these series are series I've really liked (though in most cases, it's the anime adaptation I've seen), so...I guess the responses have a pretty good amount of accuracy in terms of "shoujo manga that appeals to male readers."

Also, it tempts me to check out the ones I haven't seen.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru needs more love in the Americas! I've resorted to buying the French version put out by Pika Edition D:
Dextres

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Haha interesting choices from the men regarding what they would use from shojo manga Twisted Evil

Though I admit, I like quite a bit of shojo myself and genres outside of it. My favorite one is fruit basket back when I was in highschool in 2008.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo [/i]manga i would recommend: Ichigo 100%
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I should scrutinize these results for prospects. As I review the list of manga that I've read it seems that I haven't in fact read any shōjo manga. The closest that I get is some josei titles. I probably suffer from a distorted view of what's appropriate for a young girl. If I had a daughter, I'd probably be feeding her a steady diet of Dorohedoro and Kyoko Okazaki manga.

There are reasons I don't have children.

Animechic420 wrote:
Banana Fish: weirdest manga title ever. Somebody remembers that manga, though???

I've always presumed that the title is drawn from J.D. Salinger's "A Perfect Day for Bananafish", but I've never read the manga or the short story, so don't really know. It's quasi-legendary in certain circles, so it nips into public consciousness now and again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Animechic420 wrote:

I've always presumed that the title is drawn from J.D. Salinger's "A Perfect Day for Bananafish", but I've never read the manga or the short story, so don't really know. It's quasi-legendary in certain circles, so it nips into public consciousness now and again.

Yes, the title was drawn from that story. It is kind of a metaphor in the manga though (and the backstory has something to do with the Vietnam war but that's where the similarities end). There's also official art from the mangaka depicting one of the characters reading Catcher in the Rye, if I'm not misremembering.

I loved this manga and I'm forever heartbroken that I will never get to own the final volume in English because I did not buy it as soon as it came out and it's now like 300 dollars on Amazon marketplace and Ebay.

Anyway this is a great shoujo list. I think it's because it doesn't much center in flowery romance.
NidhoggRocketman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I am a Kaori Yuki fanboy and would recommend almost anything she has done. I'd probably recommend Demon from Afar first since it's short (6 volumes) and fairly typical of her gothic fantasy stories. If they like that, then get them into Cain and Angel Sanctuary.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Equivalent ANN poll when?

Hopefully soon, but with anime as well.

I don't really read manga but I have seen the anime adaptation of three of them (Chihayafuru, Natsume's book of friends, and Fruits Basket just last week) and I would definitely recommend them, especially the first. I really gotta get to watching My Love Story soon. If I were to add any, it would be Yona of the Dawn.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind that men read shoujo manga...

But what kind of left me with a Confused face was seeing them recommending, out of all things, shounen-ai (Patalliro)
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I was drinking with a Japanese guy in Osaka and I told him Cardcaptor Sakura was a masterpiece once.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Shoujo manga i would recommend: Ichigo 100%

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, but Ichigo 100% was serialized in Shounen Jump.

That said, I have to wonder if there was a translation error for this poll. Did the original poll ask for just shoujo manga or did it ask for manga aimed at females that guys could also like?

Because Chihayafuru, Honey & Clover, and Nodame Cantabile are josei manga, since they are serialized in magazines that are aimed primarily at young adult women.

I see so much confusion online when it comes to discerning shounen romance manga (things like Ichigo 100%), shoujo manga, and josei manga that ANN would do a lot of good to at least provide the proper labels in articles such as this, especially when this article specifically mentions the importance of the magazines the manga are serialized in when determining the demographic category.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I kinda knew it would be Chihayafuru but isn't it a Josei series?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3