• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 10th Manga Taisho Awards Nominates 13 Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dian Z

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or manga taisho awards seem to be the most reliable manga awards known which nominates a fascinating list of both hidden and unhidden gems despite being selected by 'merely' bookstore staffers?

Many manga awards I know only nominate titles limited to popular ones or to those published by publishers who invented the awards (Kodansha manga awards, Shogakukan manga awards, etc.).

Unless I missed some other worthy manga awards which could introduce me to more unique or stylish or even artsy hidden gems.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'd wager good bookstores are invested in finding good series and helping them find an audience.

When I lived in Kyoto I had an amazing bookstore near work that would open up the first volume of any series they thought was worth reading. Found a lot of great books that way. Much harder to discover new series living in America. (Kutei Dragons is really good, though, took a chance based purely on the cover and got a whaling manga on an airship with recipes to cook dragon.)
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
@Dian Z: I also think the manga Taisho award is pretty good. It selects good niche and good mainstream titles. But overall I prefer the Tezuka Osamu Culture Prize.: Shttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tezuka_Osamu_Cultural_Prize

But both provide me with a good overview over the titles that are really worth my time. I should really read more manga.

Last edited by Blackiris_ on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 am Reply with quote
I love this award since it has a lot of great nominations and usually great series win. Hoping Dungeon Meshi wins this year.
Enryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hope The Promised Neverland wins.
Ashymo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Meh none of these are practically hidden or unknown. Dungeon and Tokyo are quite popular in Japan right now. The other to some extent as well as a lot of them have faired well in the Oricon ranking lists. Basically, bookstore staff are nominating what manga that are under 8 volumes that have been selling well in their stores that year.
"Kono manga is sugoi" nominations work like that too. *shrug*

just noticed that all the winners so far except in 2016 and 2008, have been females.

I'm rooting for Aoashi or Dungeon to win. Will never understand what people see in Kin no Kuni Mizu no Kuni. Every single bookstore I went to had it in their front section.

I didn't know Hitomi Akano had another manga out. I liked her BL manga 'Su' a lot.
Larkan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Like the dude^ above said none of these are really completely unknown.

If they wanted to nominate unknown great new manga then they would probably nominate more stuff from smaller publishers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Why aren't there plot summaries of the nominees here as there are for the Shogakukan awards?

Is the only manga legally available in the US from the nominees The Promised Neverland and Wave, Listen to Me? I'd love to see Tokyo Tarareba Musume here, I love Princess Jellyfish.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
@Dian Z: I also think the manga Taisho award is pretty good. It selects good niche and good mainstream titles. But overall I prefer the Tezuka Osamu Culture Prize.

I would say that such this is an award that is Noble Peace Prize of manga awards considering it bears the name of modern manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1